Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Mafia XXV: Action Movie Badasses Edition Sign Up and Discussion Thread

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Well that was an entertaining end to the game. Sorry for being a no-show today, I was out all day and by the time I got back the game was already over. Well, I pretty much no showed the last few days because I made my mind up on day one that I wanted to kill Shiny regardless of what her role was I actually had no idea if she was a cop or mafia at first and by the end of the day she got lynched was pretty certain she was telling the truth but that was besides the point, I just wanted to kill her. After that I pretty much felt like I said in the thread, Job done for me so I kind of slacked off for the rest of the game. I was kind of amused by people trying to make up strategies based on my role though, when I never fully explained what it did or what the limitations were of it. xD Especially for example, when I went off on one about Statham being innocent because I had him locked up and there was no way he could have know he was being roleblocked, he absolutely could have known because he wasn't able to use the mafia forum that night (at least that's what I was told in the role PM, haven't looked in the mafia forum yet) but revealing that would have ruined the kill Shiny plan so but yeah I had fun at least.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'll be honest, after I got my golden speed lynch vote on Del, I was focused too much on hurling abuse at Jiro and Goldenboko to pay any mind to the mafia. It's a golden rule of mafia, if you accuse me of trout, I will come after you and pound you into the dirt. I enjoy defending myself more than finding scum these days. Coming in and swaggering and annoying people always gets a good response. It's not a good tactic for mafia or town to bother me, regardless of my alignment, because I will just scream gibberish at you until you get bored and go away.

As far as the mafia goes, though, nope, I did not have any smurfing idea Arnie was mafia until I was a corpse. Fair play to that man. I did pick up on Stallone's unhappiness at my meta-gaming as him possibly being the one I wanted, but the Priest claim was definitely the worst and why I focused on that.

Death Miller is a huge dick role that I got a lot of hate for for using in a game I ran, so I kind of assumed it would never be an option. I think the set up gave the mafia a huge amount of power and it was very much levelled in their favour. Four Mafia, Psychopath and Death Miller in a game that small isn't going to end well. That's not to say they don't deserve a victory and the town lost because of how awful it was, of course. Set up or no set up, as I say, chionos had me fooled.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, Bruce's role was pretty godly, and if he used it more often, the town would have had a fighting chance. Until I saw the Death Miller I was pretty convinced this was a no-win setup for mafia. Death Miller is one of the most overpowered mafia roles, though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    chionos had me fooled.
    Can I get this framed? Or maybe a custom title star that links directly to this post?

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

To be honest, as powerful as my role was it had limitations, the other thing that people kept assuming was that I could use it whenever I wanted on whoever, but I actually could only use it on someone once and then never again. So I couldn't have used it on Sam Jackson again after day one for example. I was mainly thinking to use it to try and roleblock mafia members but that kind of got shot because I didn't really have a read on who any of them were because I wasn't paying attention and I'd also fallen for the whole "there surely can only be one left" line of thinking. And I wouldn't have picked Arnie as being that one guy that's for sure.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Also not helping was that my crazy time zone meant the time I was awake and about was pretty much when the rest of the world was asleep and bed time for me was when ya'll were just starting to get active

Articles

Yeah I got hammered by timezones as well. The day begins at 5 AM for me and I don't get home from work 'til 6 PM so it was difficult to do much. Accessing it from work was a bitch, by the way, because of all your bloody memes! I use simplified at work so from a distance it doesn't look like I'm yelling at people on the internet for accusing me of being mafia, but when a giant picture of Samuel L Jackson is on my screen things are a bit more difficult to pass off.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    And I wouldn't have picked Arnie as being that one guy that's for sure.
    I can't tell if that's a compliment or an insult. But I'll take it either way.

I'll have you know, your role, and our ignorance of it, was a huge huge pain in my ass. =) Spent half the game just trying to figure out if it was being used, and if it was, on whom. Had to assume it was being used, so it was just a big waste of time. Thanks

FFXIV Character

So the challenge for next mafia is:

1. Figure out who Psycho's playing. (Psst. It's easy. Nobody says god damn like Psychotic. Nobody.)

2. Challenge his role every single day.

3. Survive the onslaught

4. Wipe that trout-eatin' grin off your face, soldier, this is serious business.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Yes I read the mafia forum just and was quite amused at how much time you spent trying to work out what was being done with it. Also yeah it was a compliment I guess, if I was pushed to choose who I thought the last mafia was I would have said Uma or even Sam before Arnie. although yeah pretty much didn't really care either way, Shiny died so I'm happy

FFXIV Character

Me too.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post

1. Figure out who Psycho's playing. (Psst. It's easy. Nobody says god damn like Psychotic. Nobody.)

2. Challenge his role every single day.

3. Survive the onslaught

4. Wipe that trout-eatin' grin off your face, soldier, this is serious business.
    Sorry to disappoint but the only reason I actually explained the gimmick I've been using is because I have a new one in mind.

Look at you, going off and winning the game when you could've been having fun poking the bear! You missed your chance!

FFXIV Character

1. Figure out what Psychotic's new gimmick is.

2. Keep Psychotic from being able to play his gimmick.

3. Keep that trout-eatin' grin because winning's for rookies.

Alt:

1. Figure out Psychotic's gimmick

2. Out-gimmick Psychotic at his own game.

3. Ride wave of power and respect to the top.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Death Miller is a huge dick role that I got a lot of hate for for using in a game I ran, so I kind of assumed it would never be an option. I think the set up gave the mafia a huge amount of power and it was very much levelled in their favour. Four Mafia, Psychopath and Death Miller in a game that small isn't going to end well. That's not to say they don't deserve a victory and the town lost because of how awful it was, of course. Set up or no set up, as I say, chionos had me fooled.
    You say that, but for much of the game, the Mafia was on the backfoot. You have to remember the following sequence of events:

Day 0 - Oh no Arnold got lynched? Oh wait, no, he hasn't. Still, oh crap the target's on him!

Day 1 - The Psychopath is dead, which is good, but then that limits how many townies can be killed every night

Night 1 - Damn, nothing happened. Oh well...

Day 2 - Oh crap, Statham's being targeted!

Night 2 - Well, at least we killed Jet Li...

Day 3 - Statham's still targeted, but yes we killed the cop!

Night 3 - Oh crap, Dwayne got nexus killed... down to three!

Day 4 - Whelp, Statham is dead. Down to just two!

At the end of Day 4, Mafia morale was at an all time low. if you look at the Mafia thread "Uh-oh, this is bad" morale was very low, and the admin himself said "I know it's been an uphill battle so I understand if things seem unfair". Even though on paper, we had a strong hand, things spiralled downhill at around Day Two onwards, peaking at mine and Jason's deaths.

It was really only the death of Nicolas Cage (death Miller) when feelings got more hopeful and positive. From that point onwards, the Mafia had more of a grip on the game and thanks to Chionos's gambit and astounding come-back from Day 0, we clinched the win.

It was a hard fought win, no matter how technically superior a stance we had. I think Laddy imagined the Psychopath living longer to cull some more town for us. Alas, that didn't happen

Articles

Disagree with you there Formal, the Cop got taken out after one investigation by the town itself and the bulletproof townie also went out pretty early on.