Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Only if the resolution of the sprites is increased. Retina won't magically create image data out of nothing.
    I think it is. I know Dimensions looked loads better on my iPhone than on any screenshot I had seen before that. So there you go.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I'd rather be doing this on something that isn't my cell phone. Was hoping for the PSP treatment like FFIV got.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I need to counteract all the hate in these comments

I love the little touches to the interface, like the dialogue frames as well as ATB bars being so stylized.

Blog Entries

Why does it have to be iOS though? I've got no room on my ipod for a game that big, plus I don't like gaming on it either...sigh. 3DS would have been a better choice.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You can get it on android too!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I actually prefer these sprites to the FFIV PSP ones. They look a lot like the classic ones, just HD. Also, judging by Dimensions, these will look much better on retina.
    I have to disagree with that. These don't look HD. The monster sprites show barely any difference from the original, and the character sprites are simply in a different form, but the resolution, detail or pixels or whatever don't look much better than the GBA port, let alone as high as the PSP ports. Whether one likes the style of the PSP ports or not, they did provide some very clean and HD sprites (I don't really see what's wrong with the IV: TCC sprites, they provided a nice mix of the classic sprites and the DS character models, and the monsters were gorgeous). This, however, looks more like a step to the side than a step forward.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    I actually prefer these sprites to the FFIV PSP ones. They look a lot like the classic ones, just HD. Also, judging by Dimensions, these will look much better on retina.
    I have to disagree with that. These don't look HD. The monster sprites show barely any difference from the original, and the character sprites are simply in a different form, but the resolution, detail or pixels or whatever don't look much better than the GBA port, let alone as high as the PSP ports. Whether one likes the style of the PSP ports or not, they did provide some very clean and HD sprites (I don't really see what's wrong with the IV: TCC sprites, they provided a nice mix of the classic sprites and the DS character models, and the monsters were gorgeous). This, however, looks more like a step to the side than a step forward.
    Apart from looking like a generic Korean MMO and the inconsistencies between portraits?

Anyway, like I said, Dimensions didn't look like much from the screenshots, but you would not spot a single pixel there.

FFXIV Character

Apart from looking like a generic Korean MMO and the inconsistencies between portraits?

Anyway, like I said, Dimensions didn't look like much from the screenshots, but you would not spot a single pixel there.
    You do realise that everybody who hasn't played a single Korean in their lives (such as me) will find that a moot point, yes? Hardly a big complaint there. (What does a Korean RPG even look like and why does it qualify as "bad" when something looks like it?) Even so, "generic" doesn't equal "bad". Also, what are these portrait inconsistencies you talk of? The only one I could kind of see is Cecil's, with long hair in portrait and overworld sprite, but short hair in his battle sprite. The others all looked pretty good. Mind you I've yet to play the After Years.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post

You do realise that everybody who hasn't played a single Korean in their lives (such as me) will find that a moot point, yes? Hardly a big complaint there. (What does a Korean RPG even look like and why does it qualify as "bad" when something looks like it?) Even so, "generic" doesn't equal "bad". Also, what are these portrait inconsistencies you talk of? The only one I could kind of see is Cecil's, with long hair in portrait and overworld sprite, but short hair in his battle sprite. The others all looked pretty good. Mind you I've yet to play the After Years.
    Never said it was bad, as you noticed, I said it was generic. I personally prefer these sprites as they really seem more like the original ones but smoothed-out.
    Cecil's hair is not the only problem. I generally noticed how they do not base the overworld and battle sprites or the portraits on a single piece of artwork, but on different ones, which was much the case in the original, but that was over 20 years ago. Such inconsistencies I find unacceptable now, especially after the glorious in terms of style DS remake. TAY was fine, though.
    I'm not saying the FFIV:CC style is objectively bad, heck, I don't even personally think it's bad. I just feel much more at home with this. I probably would have preferred a full-blown 3DS remake, akin to the DS version of FFIV, but this is satisfactory to me. I enjoyed Dimensions immensely, and like I said, the style here is very much like that of the SNES-era games, but just smoother. Also, I love everything Amano, so bigger, nicer portraits based on his artwork make for a happy me

And I also think the backgrounds look much better than in Dimensions, which is another plus for me.
    In other words, I dig it. I know a lot of people won't, but for me, this really makes me want to play V all over again.
    Last edited by Fynn; 03-21-2013 at 10:28 PM.

It pains me to think that all we know how to do is whine anymore.

They're remaking Final Fantasy 5. Why aren't you happy?

Final Fantasy 5 is freaking awesome.

I'm sorry, but no matter what niggling nitpicking details send fans into nerd rages, the power of Final Fantasy 5 and Job Systeming on my Smart Phone trumps it all to hell and back for me.

I say it's about time SE did something like this.

Me am so happy!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

A remake isn't intrinsically good, it's only good if you enjoy it over and above how you would enjoy another playthrough of the original.

Provide you like the changes and the medium I have no doubt that would be awesome. It's just that it doesn't seem like a lot of people here are in that basket.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    They're remaking Final Fantasy 5. Why aren't you happy?
    Because there seems to be little reason to pick this version over the excellent GBA port, unless you're absolutely dying to play it with touch controls or with character sprites taken from FF Dimensions. Personally, touch controls and different character sprites don't cut it for me. Unless they're cramming this full of extra content, which I doubt.

Not to mention, given how many people wanted a full-blown remake in the vain of III and IV DS, a simple port that doesn't even give us HD sprites feels like a blow to the balls.

I've just about had it hearing about the "excellent" GBA ports. I thought they were trout.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    I've just about had it hearing about the "excellent" GBA ports. I thought they were trout.
    That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that they weren't.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I actually didn't have a whole lot of love for the GBA ports either. I would rater play the originals.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<