Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy V Remake confirmed for Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    I've just about had it hearing about the "excellent" GBA ports. I thought they were trout.
    That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that they weren't.
    I thought they were.

I also think anyone who isn't at least mildly pleased that Final Fantasy V is being shown some attention (finally) is a prissy little entitled bastard.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Anybody who would prefer to play the original V instead of the vastly superior V Advance is out of his mind. Not to mention V Advance was actually translated. There is no reason to pick the SNES version over the GBA one unless you're alergic to quality GBA games or something. There's absolutely nothing the SNES version of V did that V Advance didn't do better. And yeah, I include music in that. One could argue that IV Advance suffered from too many glitches (at least the US version) and that VI Advance suffered loss in the quality of its music, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with V Advance. It's as good as perfect. Any new version of V that wants to improve upon that will have to do better than changing the character sprites.

Anybody who would prefer to play the original V instead of the vastly superior V Advance is out of his mind.
    Or someone who wants the oldschool feeling of enjoying something in its original version like me.

I have Final Fantasy V for the Super Famicom/Nintendo, the Anthology version and the GBA version. I use them all.

battles with Exdeath (in the castle and his first form in the void)
    The rift is not the void.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 03-24-2013 at 01:22 PM.

doesntmatter.PNG

If I get a smartphone or tablet the first thing I'm doing is downloading Final Fantasy V.

It certainly beats that 'All The Bravest' fiasco any day of the week.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Anybody who would prefer to play the original V instead of the vastly superior V Advance is out of his mind. Not to mention V Advance was actually translated. There is no reason to pick the SNES version over the GBA one unless you're alergic to quality GBA games or something. There's absolutely nothing the SNES version of V did that V Advance didn't do better. And yeah, I include music in that. One could argue that IV Advance suffered from too many glitches (at least the US version) and that VI Advance suffered loss in the quality of its music, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with V Advance. It's as good as perfect. Any new version of V that wants to improve upon that will have to do better than changing the character sprites.
    That's actually wrong. There are a few valid reasons to like the SNES version. The SNES version has a lot better audio quality, both sound effects and music. The GBA version also has a few minor slowdowns in places where the SNES does not.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    That's actually wrong. There are a few valid reasons to like the SNES version. The SNES version has a lot better audio quality, both sound effects and music. The GBA version also has a few minor slowdowns in places where the SNES does not.
    Speaking of music, I bet this remake will have an awesome remade soundtrack. I know Dimensions had an incredible sound quality, even better than the original soundtrack, so I guess that's to be expected here.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I actually didn't have a whole lot of love for the GBA ports either. I would rater play the originals.
    Yeah, GBA version looks ugly and sounds are kind of... off.

EDIT: rather*
    Last edited by Gamblet; 03-23-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Grammar Nazi disease

FFXIV Character

You people are weird. How in the name of smurf did the GBA ports look ugly? Aside from the touched up battle-backgrounds in IV and V and some updated character sprites in IV, everything looked the same. Heck, VI was practically unchanged, aside from the smaller screen. I mean, I can get people not liking the PSP port style, but the GBA versions were basically the SNES ones (IV aside, since the game didn't age as well as V and VI graphically) with better translation. If they're ugly, it's like saying the original ones were ugly. Which is okay, if you didn't like the original, but liking the SNES graphically but calling the GBA ugly while they're nearly the same (again, except for IV, it did receive a much needed upgrade) is just weird. Weird.

Final Fantasy V000.png

The battle background is all that was upgraded. Cheap, easy.

Final_Fantasy_V_Advance_01.png

The sprites are exactly the same, and the palette now has a washed-over look.

Maybe this isn't a deal-breaker, but the music and sound effects are terrible.

And I still think the script is ridiculous, in every version of this game that's been made. The remake (if it's even localized) will probably still not be very interesting in this regard. But that's not why I play Final Fantasy V in the first place.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the GBA version was the best so far. And the script is amazing, as it captures that goofy feel of this installment perfectly.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Yeah, sprites are a bit brighter, but there is actually a legitimate reason for this. Graphics were generally made brighter on GBA to make them more visible on the original GBAs, those without backlit LCDs.

But still, it's just not possible to make the audio sound as good on GBA, because it has inferior sound hrdware compared to the SNES.

I like the GBA script as well.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

I actually prefer the GBA soundtrack to the SNES one at times. I think it actually improves some tracks. Especially the music that plays during your battles with Exdeath (in the castle and his first form in the void). The original one doesn't manage to make it sound like you're having an epic battle, it sounds rather dull to be honest, while the GBA does manage to capture that feeling of "epic battle with the big bad". The one thing I can agree with is some of the sound effects. It's weird, but there's something absolutely charming about that dull "thud" you hear when you kill a monster, both in IV and V, in the SNES versions. That's one thing the GBA didn't quite manage to capture, but it's a small sacrifice for all other improvements.

Once we see this remake in action, we'll be better able to gauge its comparability to the GBA version.

But I still would love to have FF5 on my phone.

Even if the story is kind of mind-numbing Saturday morning cartoon garbage, the gameplay is what elevates the whole thing into greatness.

FFXIV Character

The story is decidedly not saturday morning cartoon garbage. I hate how people always throw that trout around as if it's a commonly accepted fact, while it's not. There's no denying that the gameplay is definately V's strongest aspect, but the story is nothing short of solid as well and even gets surprisingly dark in certain areas. It's kind of alike in IX in that aspect, come to think of it. The characters are likeable and well-rounded, which also goes for the supporting cast. This whole thing of "V's story sucks" should be handed over to the Mythbusters. It's one myth in need of some desperate busting. I blame VI for creating it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

VI has a far better story, but V's is awesome as well. In a very self-conscious, subversive way. In a way, it's a parody of all the previous games in the series and should be commended for it, since it's good parody. It's tons of fun.