Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victims of the dreaded PS3 RLOD, assemble!

Default Victims of the dreaded PS3 RLOD, assemble!

Just playing an innocent game of Dark Souls... BAM! Red Light Of Death. It can happen to YOU! you! you! *ominous echo*

As it just happened to me

So the internet is full of crap when it comes to so called fixes and basically everyone who has the problem gets made fun of with witty comments about how dead their PS3 is. So I hereby call upon the trustful EoFF folk; what is your experience with the RLOD? Are you one of those mythical creatures who know how to fix it themselves? Or more importantly, is there a way to recover save files?

Assemble!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've never even heard of this O_O

Thank god it's a new console release year, or I'd be living in fear.

I never heard about it either, but after this morning's incident I found out there are quite a lot of people who's PS3 malfunction. Some claim their consoles only 2 years old, others 5.

Mine was a repaired 40GB model that replaced my first model after it broke down within warranty period in 2008. So the console itself was around 5 or maybe 6 years old.

I think I'll try to get it running again using the hairdryer method, if only to copy my save files. If successful I can at least try to finish Ni No Kuni on a friend's console.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Had the YLOD in my original launch model back when FFXIII came out. I remember because it kept me from finishing (thank god) and I had to disassemble it to get the disc out since I had borrowed it from a friend.

I never bothered trying any of the supposed fixes, though maybe I should have since it was out of the warranty period anyway, and even if it wasn't, I had to void it to get the disc out (call me crazy, but I did not trust Sony to give it back if I sent it in). I also didn't really need any of my save files so it didn't bother me. I just bought a slim and said screw it, hoping the issue had at least been fixed with the new hardware iteration as they often are.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Can you not just send it to Sony and have them fix it?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    You can. Though in Canada they won't fix it and instead just send you a refurbished unit. You'll also spend over $150 for the privilege. Given the choice between spending over $150 on a refurbished unit and just buying a new slim model for around $300 I just went with the slim. Didn't see the point in basically buying a PS3 that had already failed once over a newer model that might not suffer from the YLOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    I could, but Vivi22 is right; it costs like €150 to get it fixed. In process the they'll format the harddrive and I'll lose all my save files. ALL MY DARK SOULS BUILDS. And 30 hours of unfinished Ni No Kuni.

The new Super Slim model is only €190 with a 12GB harddrive. It's not nearly enough space for the longterm, but I might get one of those since it is enough to install Dark Souls, Journey and Ni No Kuni to get me through a year. After the warranty is gone I could upgrade the harddrive myself to save a couple bucks.

Articles
    Blog Entries

At the end of 2007, everyone still reeling from Five Hundred and Ninety-Nine U.S. dollars, I snagged the 60GB model refurbished for $299. It was pretty incredible, having all those card readers, 4 USB ports, PS2 backwards compatibility with decreased load times, and (at the time) Linux running all my favorite SNES games on my TV from one console. But, being a launch model, it was more susceptible to YLOD, and in FAll 2011 it bit the dust.

I sent mine in to a company called GopherMods who can fix it for $60-80 and I'm pretty sure they kept all my save files. Unfortunately, if you subject it to heavy play, it may inevitably happen again. At least, with my 60GB model, it was and it went again in January or so

I play mostly on PC now and the PS4 is coming out, so I'm not sure if I'm going to get another. If I have some disposable income, I might buy one of the official refurbs from Sony's ebay account, they have a pretty good price and I'd feel most comfortable grabbing one of those.

Easter is soon ...you can probably get one on sale if they decide to do some good deals.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I've never heard of the RLOD, only the YLOD, and the RROD for the 360 of course.

It still boggles my mind how many people have had consoles break on them this gen. I've never had a console fail on me and never had to repurchase a console or have one fixed. I've had both my PS3 (which gets played almost every day) and my 360 since 2007 and they both still work perfectly. Then again, so do all my older consoles.

I don't even go to any extra effort to keep them working or anything. Maybe I'm just lucky? o__O
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Maybe I'm just lucky? o__O
    It's more that people affected by the YLOD are unlucky actually. My launch model PS3 is the only console I have ever had die on me. Even my now almost 21 year old SNES is still going strong.

Stuff like the YLOD are just one of those things where you can't really do anything to prevent it aside from not using the console ever. Either it will happen or it won't.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I've never had either actually happen to me. I've had a yellow light scare, but that was just me having to reset the video output settings and that was it. I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. :C

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I might buy one of the official refurbs from Sony's ebay account, they have a pretty good price and I'd feel most comfortable grabbing one of those.
    That's a good tip, I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Maybe I'm just lucky? o__O
    It's more that people affected by the YLOD are unlucky actually. My launch model PS3 is the only console I have ever had die on me. Even my now almost 21 year old SNES is still going strong.

Stuff like the YLOD are just one of those things where you can't really do anything to prevent it aside from not using the console ever. Either it will happen or it won't.
    Yeah I reckon this is the case. I tend to be quite ocd when it comes any damage to devices and stuff. It's probably the older model having a bigger chance of breaking down. That's why I'm interested in the Super Slim to replace it. If that thing can hold out for another ten years so I can replay my favourites, I'm willing to pay €190 for that.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My brother got the YLOD on his PS3 and he baked it in the oven and that fixed it. I'm not joking. Look up "YLOD PS3 oven" and you should get something.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    My brother got the YLOD on his PS3 and he baked it in the oven and that fixed it. I'm not joking. Look up "YLOD PS3 oven" and you should get something.
    That is crazy! But I looked up some youtube video's and it seems a legit method. Did your brother take the whole thing apart and just bake the motherboard or did he remove the cover and put the whole thing in?