Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: College Bound

Blog Entries

Default College Bound

I'm really excited and just had to share the news!
    Although I haven't heard back from all the places I applied to, I made my college decision today! It's to the school I've wanted to go to since I took a tour there; I just had this gut feeling about it even as I toured other schools. It's perfect for me and I am just really, really excited to get out of this town and move forward. The school is also highly selective so I feel super smart

Talk about your college experiences. Did you go to college/university? What did you study? Any tips for an incoming freshman? Did you party hard?
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's nothing like the movies that's for sure
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Articles

Hey Rebel- I went to school, was there forever (12yrs counting grad school) and am still there teaching.

My advice is to take it seriously enough that you wont limit yourself in the future, but to have as much fun as you can get away with doing.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I applied to only one school, the University of Georgia, and I got in, so that was where I went. It was a pretty easy choice, because I wanted to go to journalism school, and UGA has a really good one. And because, at the time, Georgia's HOPE scholarship gave in-state students free tuition, as long as they kept a B average. I definitely didn't have the money or the rich parents to afford going out-of-state without taking out a ton of loans.

It worked out really well, because I had a pretty tight-knit group of friends from high school and a lot of us went to college together and are still great friends to this day, even though I don't live close to them anymore. I didn't do a lot of partying in college, but for a couple years we had a four person apartment that tended to be the focal point for a lot of gatherings. So that was cool.

Advice for freshman year:

If you're living on campus, and have good dining halls, avoid the freshman 15. Meaning, try not to pig out too much, and if you do, use the school gym. It's easy to pack on the pounds when you can eat whatever the hell you want!

Don't kill yourself taking a ton of classes the first semester, unless you're really accustomed to working hard in high school. If you're coming in with a lot of AP credits, take it a little easy, you know--take a couple core classes and a couple fun electives.

Figure out which classes need a lot of your attention and which don't. My first two years, before I got into a lot of important upper-level stuff, I'd usually have one class per semester that I could completely skip and only show up for tests. I went to a big school, so some of those entry-levels had 300 people in them and didn't take attendance. If you're good at studying by yourself, you can lighten your daily schedule by not going to those boring lectures every day. But make sure you can handle it--skipping too much and blowing a test could smurf you over.

Buy shower shoes for the dorm bathrooms.

Play videogames with your dorm room open to make easy friends. I don't know what splitscreen/multiplayer game is big these days. Even though it was years old when I got into college, a lot of people in my dorm played Super Smash Bros. Melee. Made a few friends that way.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by kotora View Post
    It wasn't like the movies until about Junior year for me when cliques were formed and I felt more comfortable going to wild parties. Still nothing las crazy as Project X though. I'd say Freshman year was easy to form bonds because the way my school was set up, we had "blocks" freshman year. I was in Block 8 and so were about ten other people which meant all eleven of us had every class together. It definitely was nice because we were able to make definitive friends from that. I still talk to a majoriy of the people in Block 8.

Sophomore year we got to choose our specification so most of my friends I made from that time were editing majors. Then Junior and Senior year I made all kinds of friends outside of my Film department which is when the real fun ensued. Socially I changed and a little mentally, but for the most part my college professors weren't as provocative as some of my high school teachers unfortunately.

Blog Entries

Darn, I was totally hoping it would be like Animal House xD just kidding. I'm not a party girl myself and I think alcohol tastes awful in most cases.
    Avoiding the freshman 15 will be super difficult as the school I'm going to has amazing, nationally ranked food. Their cookies are fantastic.
    And as a psych major/neuroscience minor, my schedule will be difficult, I think, since I have required research labs.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

you actually have to study in college. who knew?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kotora View Post
    It wasn't like the movies until about Junior year for me when cliques were formed and I felt more comfortable going to wild parties. Still nothing las crazy as Project X though. I'd say Freshman year was easy to form bonds because the way my school was set up, we had "blocks" freshman year.
    Yeah, I guess it depends on how you're doing socially. Since I didn't make any friends in my first year the parties also sucked, it took me many years to get somewhere socially. I remember in my first year being at this big frat party where 70% of the invited guests were girls. I was sitting in this darkroom with people doing cocaine on one side of me and people having sex on old mattresses on the other side. Of course, I wasn't participating in any of that and just observing everything awkwardly like a dumbass
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If at all possible, avoid scheduling 8AM classes. Or 9AM classes for that matter.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

My only advice is to enjoy it while you can. I really miss college schedules and workloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    If at all possible, avoid scheduling 8AM classes. Or 9AM classes for that matter.
    Or 10 AM classes, if you can avoid it. I was such a badass scheduler, there were only a couple of semesters where I ever had to be up before 10 regularly. It was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    My only advice is to enjoy it while you can. I really miss college schedules and workloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Or 10 AM classes, if you can avoid it. I was such a badass scheduler, there were only a couple of semesters where I ever had to be up before 10 regularly. It was great.
    required classes, only one section, 8AM, 6/8 undergrad semesters. i don't understand why they did this. also, it sucked.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

YOUR MOM GOES TO COLLEGE
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I went to school for sales and representation and customer service. I enjoyed it. There were no cliques or anything. All of my classes were in the evening and only lasted 2 to 3 hours so it was nice.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

If you get into trouble, tell someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    If you get into trouble, tell someone.
    if you got a problem,
    yo i'll solve it
    check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
    (ice, ice, baby)