Thread: Finally got the whole thing...

Default Finally got the whole thing...

So I got the extra-cheese psp version with After Years... But I have to replay 4 first.. It's been like... a decade or something... Let's see if I remember anything beyond the first 20 minutes.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

My man!

I bought that the day it came out and pounded through FFIV in about three days. The epilogue is smurfing stupid, skip it. I quit After Years about six hours in. I should give it a second chance sometime.

Is it weird that I prefer the snes graphics?! :S

...I'm going to give this another chance.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post
    No, I am about the same way, the squeaky hi-res sprites bug me, I didn't like them for the PSP ports of FFI and II either and I dread the idea of FFV and VI getting the treatment.

I need to finish The After Years, I got to the ridiculously long final dungeon and decided to just not bother. I should at least finish it.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I despise the graphics style they went with. I'm not hugely in love with how the FF4 sprites look on the SNES, but I actively dislike the FF4:CC ones. Unfortunately it seems to be the style that SE is enamored with nowadays so I guess i'm SOL.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

No, I prefer the PSX graphics more though. Not much difference, heh.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I think the sprites in the Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection on PSP look decent. I wish they had gone with an updated style of graphics similar to the Super Nintendo version. I wonder why it's that much different? Is it a part of an overall new art direction? On the other hand, I doubt that the sprite designers that worked on that game still work for Square Enix.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

So I got the extra-cheese psp version with After Years... But I have to replay 4 first.. It's been like... a decade or something... Let's see if I remember anything beyond the first 20 minutes.
    If it's really been a decade, I wouldn't worry, ironically, since I was in a similar situation with my latest playthrough. During that decade you've probably gotten a lot of RPG experience, which will help just as much (approximately) as FFIV playthrough experience.

I've only played FFI & II PSP and not FFIV:TCC, but I didn't find anything awkward or ugly about the sprites. I'd actually say I prefer them and the PSP remakes over the DS remakes, since the PSP remakes keep the 2D map and battle layouts (making them more true to the original games compared to the DS remakes) and the polished, updated sprites looks a lot cleaner and more professional than the somewhat blocky 3D models.

i'm so down on the psp release; at least it has after years, just wiiware or emulate that trout, it's awesome from the 2 hours i played on there, can't stomach the, like, substandard flash games aesthetic of most of the new releases of the oldies, like 1 is terrible!

wonderswan/psx/gba etc for 'dawn of souls' (1-2) and for 4, snes, gba, 3d ds, anything! but this really crap release; also i was psyched about the music a. it still has the poor reinstrumentation from the original after years b. because the songs were short and timed for each scene, the new mixes, as much as i like the celtic moon re-arrangments, it takes a few seconds to load from USB, also all the powers lost because there are these epic intros that ruin the original rhythm and power of each scene

however - that last dungeon in the first one, where you get uber-weapons for most major characters, was that in any other release? you have to do some digging, but the head honcho in 'mystic' mysidia is all 'yeah man somethins going down at mt trials' or whatever it was called

but my god

the enemies are underleveled, but there are so frakkin many of them! (is frakking ok instead of smurfing? i can't keep track of alternate swears on here) and yeah, encount rate is through the roof, or so it seems when you hit, like, B4 or 5... trout! yeah but the final weapons/bosses are ok

im so done with random battles, unless it's mother or persona

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    however - that last dungeon in the first one, where you get uber-weapons for most major characters, was that in any other release? you have to do some digging, but the head honcho in 'mystic' mysidia is all 'yeah man somethins going down at mt trials' or whatever it was called
    Yes, the bonus dungeon at Mt. Ordeals was created for the Gameboy Advance port of the game. It was intended to give the other characters that are not in the final party updated equipment because some characters lack any weaponry — Edward, for example — after their role in the story is over.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I'm trying to decide whether I should dish out the money for FFIV Complete or not; The After Years seems to have gotten great reviews when it came out but I hear really negative things about it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    No, I am about the same way, the squeaky hi-res sprites bug me, I didn't like them for the PSP ports of FFI and II either and I dread the idea of FFV and VI getting the treatment.
    I've never played the PSP remakes but I've seen screens for the FFV smartphone port that's coming out and I think the new sprites look hideous. They look like you're emulating it with ZSNES and have every single filter turned on. I very much prefer the SNES version's look.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

If you have never played Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, then I recommend purchasing Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection. The sequel is enjoyable to any person who likes the gameplay of Final Fantasy IV.