Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 232424647484950515253545556575862 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: Season 10

Blog Entries

It was a good episode. A bit more Clara development which is nice. I do hope they pick up some new companions as companions start to become boring when theyre only there to be a counterpart of the doctor, but when there are a few around they can alternate between being counterparts and being their own characters.

I did not like the new opening. The other openings made me think "This is a device thats travels through time and space". The cogs and spiraling clockface make me think "This is a show with a device that travels through time and space". The face in the opening was pretty good though, not as striking as Matt Smith's face in the stars but the frowning eyes make a statement.

Also poor Ser Dontos
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 08-25-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Celes~*~ View Post
    I can't wait to see how they explain the two big plot points that they brought up: Clara's telephone call to the TARDIS and Twelve's face. I loved this episode and I can't wait for more!
    I don't think there's anything they need to explain about the phone call. It was just a way for Smith's Doctor to tell Clara that it'll be okay since she never witnessed a regeneration before, and he likely neglected to tell her given he thought it was his last.

As for the mention of the face, I think it was probably just acknowledging that Capaldi has been on the show before. Could be wrong, but it would explain why he recognizes his face.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think she meant the initial call to the TARDIS from Clara in the first Clara episode, which was touched upon as well - the same person who put the Impossible Girl advert in the paper was judged to be responsible for her getting his number.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was camping over the weekend so I've only just been able to watch Deep Breath.

Overall, I can't really see the criticism. As regeneration stories go it served as a good introduction to our new doctor without actually having him in practically every scene. It certainly wasn't a 'Doctor lite' episode, but there were less of him than one would expect in an introductory episode.

The story took a back seat but then most regeneration episodes was never about the villain of the week. The dinosaur was just there, and possibly there to connect the doctor's own feelings of loneliness. Really, to be fair, the first third of the story is the weakest. For me, the episode grew on me more as it continued. The first part was pretty heavily CGI. Really, the story really only moved on for me when the dinosaur combusts.

The trio of Jenny, Strax and Vastra are hilarious as ever and provides a nod a sense of the familiar with the new Doctor. Really the primary theme of the story is identity and belonging. The cyborg doesn't know who he is anymore, replacing spare part after spare part until he has nothing original left, and he is inimitably lonely and almost sympathetic as villains go. The Doctor meanwhile, has to contend with a new body, new emotions, and trying to convince Clara that he is still the same man. The last bit with the Cyborg and the Doctor in that escape pod, talking about who was lying about their basic programming. Deep stuff.

In fact, the whole mystery surrounding whether the doctor pushed the Cyborg or not is a very interesting one and taps into the question as to whether the Doctor's morality is the same as ever. Clara's slow acceptance of her new doctor is an interesting one, brought into force when he simply states "I'm not your boyfriend". Whether or not I found Clara annoying in the episode is a tough one, because it is such a change. Tennant to Smith wasn't so huge a change, but Smith to Capaldi is, I think. I think by the end of the episode she's accepted the difference.

This episode was as much a regeneration episode as it is a rethinking episode for Clara. I agree with the idea that a new companion is needed. I think Clara and the Doctor's relationship is well enough established, to the point that Clara's identity and story is basically how she relates to the Doctor. Another companion would be great as it showcases Clara's relationships to others, not just the Doctor.

We don't know who Missy is, or what her supposed 'Promised Land' is. It all seems fairly strange, and I think she's probably the main villain of this series. Her relation to the Doctor is going to be very important, I think.

Overall, I really liked it. I like it enough to write a fairly long piece on it anyway. While the primary story is fairly straightforward as stories go, it is what happens in the interactions that really shape the episode. In other words, it is character driven, as opposed to story driven, and I really loved it.
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 08-28-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think they were talking about adding a second companion over the summer. Somebody who works at the same school as Clara?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ugh, just realized I said "seen" instead of "scene".

Blame the camping tiredness

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I think she meant the initial call to the TARDIS from Clara in the first Clara episode, which was touched upon as well - the same person who put the Impossible Girl advert in the paper was judged to be responsible for her getting his number.
    yeah I realized that after i posted this xD I guess I was just so caught up in excitement over the whole episode that i didn't quite catch that right away.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Again, another alright episode but nothing special. A couple of nice moments from him but Capaldi's Doctor still doesn't quite have that charisma or presence.

Also Dolorous Edd adding to the amassed ranks of actors who have been in both GoT and DW.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, nothing special. I'm having a hard time getting psyched about this season, to be honest.

I was way more interested about what was going on between Clara and Mr. Pink than I was about any Dalek nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure if I'm watching the same episode as you guys. I haven't the time to do a full write-up just yet, but I loved the episode.

Peter Capaldi has great presence. The two episodes I've seen so far can be described as 'profound', in my opinion. If the theme of the first episode was identity, the theme of the second is morality.

EDIT: As me and Sam were watching the episode, both of us thought he would be a new companion. I think the show is crying out for a new companion.

:monster:

(SPOILER)Danny Pink is in fact confirmed to be a new companion.

Anyway I too loved both episodes so far.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

(SPOILER)Aha! My hunch was correct! I knew a character with that much initial screentime would amount to something!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My guess is he follows Clara, they develop as a couple, then they both leave together to pursue their relationship.

Articles
    Blog Entries

As much as I liked the first episode, this one was a miles time better than that. (SPOILER)We saw a new character introduced and a relationship begin to grow with Clara, which is what some people in this thread was hoping to see. We saw the hope of there being a good Dalek and that hope being ripped away and the Doctor causing its hate to go into overdrive. The Star Trek references were a bit much, but a minor nitpick at best.

I'm enjoying the new Doctor and looking forward to finding out the secret behind Missy.
    Last edited by Ayen; 09-01-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, what WAS up with all of the Star Trek references?

Also, I am willing to bet money that Danny Pink is Journey Blue's brother.
    Last edited by Jinx; 09-01-2014 at 01:01 AM.