Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111213172757 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 946

Thread: Doctor Who: Season 10

  1. #91
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,631
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Confetti Cupcake (Sargatanas)

    Default

    I don't find Midnight scary. I hate that episode. Blink isn't really scary either.



  2. #92
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,306
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I wouldn't exactly describe this episode as scary (especially when episodes like "Blink" and "Midnight" exist in the same continuity), but it was pretty damn good.
    It's a thriller, but it's not scary. I do agree with you though, Blink and Midnight were bloody scary. Especially Midnight. That one was intense.


  3. #93
    Yossarian Lives Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    51,027
    Articles
    71

    Default

    Midnight wasn't scary so much as incredibly tense.

  4. #94
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,306
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    I've watched the episode a few days ago, but I've only just got round to doing my episode round up!

    Season 7 / Episode 3

    - This is a better episode than the one previous, I'd give it a good 7/10. I particularly enjoyed the claustrophobic nature of the episode and also the reintroduction of an old friend - the Ice Warriors. Perhaps after the risk taken with Doctor Who: The Musical last week, this one was your typical Doctor Who episode: unease, tension, some light humour, it had all the typical parts you see. Probably because of the time it's been since the last Ice Warrior, we got abit of a starter guide on him and the use of exposition on that did drag, though I guess it was required.

    - The rest of the guest cast aboard the submarine were your typical meat shields, whose use is basically to serve as fodder for the Ice Warrior. Really the only characters worth mentioning was SER DAVOS!!!! Oh, and also that professor guy with the music. Actually, his choice of music is something I cover in my mysteries list.

    - The denouement, as is becoming a trend now, is slightly flat compared to the rest of the episode. The whole "talking" aspect has been done so many times now. It was done last episode, it was done this episode. I'm all for speeches, but it gets slightly tiresome having a monstrous Ice Warrior be talked down with words of mercy and the such. The tractor beam ending as well all slightly deus ex.

    - Despite the repetitive ending, the episode was nonetheless a good one which, for me, pretty much ends Clara's first few steps into Doctor Who. She had her usual first episode, her first alien world, and her first gritty encounter. She's got the triad that all companions must go through to get their badge that's for sure. I can't wait for Hide though!


    And now, the Mysteries section!

    Season 7: Formy's Mysteries

    - "Hungry Like The Wolf". The music may be a simple device to remind us the year this is set in, but this is Doctor Who. Avid fans of David Tennant's doctor would recognise the phrase 'Bad Wolf'. Simple coincidence or overarching story device? I'd go over the latter to be honest.

    - Not really any other mysteries from this episode, besides the recurring mystery to Clara's mothers death.



  5. #95
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,631
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Confetti Cupcake (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Oh man, I didn't even think of the 'Hungry Like the Wolf' and 'Bad Wolf' connection!

    I really enjoyed this episode. The reason it's so scary to me is because I don't like enclosed spaces like that, but anyone who knows me well knows that open water like that is one of my biggest fears (and why I would never go on a cruise). Therefore, the who idea of being in a sub just scares the trout out of me. And then them crashing and all that water leaking in. ;-;


    EDIT: I also loved the Professor. He really doesn't have the best luck with maritime travel, does he?



  6. #96
    Skyblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth, approximately
    Posts
    10,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I've watched the episode a few days ago, but I've only just got round to doing my episode round up!

    Season 7 / Episode 3

    - This is a better episode than the one previous, I'd give it a good 7/10. I particularly enjoyed the claustrophobic nature of the episode and also the reintroduction of an old friend - the Ice Warriors. Perhaps after the risk taken with Doctor Who: The Musical last week, this one was your typical Doctor Who episode: unease, tension, some light humour, it had all the typical parts you see. Probably because of the time it's been since the last Ice Warrior, we got abit of a starter guide on him and the use of exposition on that did drag, though I guess it was required.

    - The rest of the guest cast aboard the submarine were your typical meat shields, whose use is basically to serve as fodder for the Ice Warrior. Really the only characters worth mentioning was SER DAVOS!!!! Oh, and also that professor guy with the music. Actually, his choice of music is something I cover in my mysteries list.

    - The denouement, as is becoming a trend now, is slightly flat compared to the rest of the episode. The whole "talking" aspect has been done so many times now. It was done last episode, it was done this episode. I'm all for speeches, but it gets slightly tiresome having a monstrous Ice Warrior be talked down with words of mercy and the such. The tractor beam ending as well all slightly deus ex.

    - Despite the repetitive ending, the episode was nonetheless a good one which, for me, pretty much ends Clara's first few steps into Doctor Who. She had her usual first episode, her first alien world, and her first gritty encounter. She's got the triad that all companions must go through to get their badge that's for sure. I can't wait for Hide though!


    And now, the Mysteries section!

    Season 7: Formy's Mysteries

    - "Hungry Like The Wolf". The music may be a simple device to remind us the year this is set in, but this is Doctor Who. Avid fans of David Tennant's doctor would recognise the phrase 'Bad Wolf'. Simple coincidence or overarching story device? I'd go over the latter to be honest.

    - Not really any other mysteries from this episode, besides the recurring mystery to Clara's mothers death.

    That professor guy with the music? You're calling David Warner "that professor guy with the music? You're calling Sark (and the MCP, for that matter) from the original Tron "that professor guy with the music"? The man's been in two Star Trek movies, Titanic, Wing Commander (which he rocked, regardless of the fact the movie sucked), Privateer 2 (again, game was horrible, his acting was awesome), several Horatio Hornblower movies, The Concorde Airport, Babylon 5, and a couple hundred different other works, and is generally awesome in all of them.

    Don't dismiss him so casually, he's a bloody brilliant actor.



    Oh, yes, and I forgot to mention: (SPOILER)It's nice to see a classic Doctor Who villain like this. There can be a temptation to really gussy them up, but there's something to be said for the iconic look. I called it as an Ice Warrior when it was still thawing out, and it was wonderful. It's such a wonderful nostalgic feeling.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 04-17-2013 at 05:27 AM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

    He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

  7. #97
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,306
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    That professor guy with the music? You're calling David Warner "that professor guy with the music? You're calling Sark (and the MCP, for that matter) from the original Tron "that professor guy with the music"? The man's been in two Star Trek movies, Titanic, Wing Commander (which he rocked, regardless of the fact the movie sucked), Privateer 2 (again, game was horrible, his acting was awesome), several Horatio Hornblower movies, The Concorde Airport, Babylon 5, and a couple hundred different other works, and is generally awesome in all of them.

    Don't dismiss him so casually, he's a bloody brilliant actor.
    I don't read the credits! Sorry! I feel terrible now.


  8. #98
    Nobody's Hero Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belfast, Ireland
    Posts
    4,587

    Default

    That was 3 Dr Who's in arrow now that were absolutely god awful. Terrible scripts. I don't even look forward to it anymore.

  9. #99
    The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,841

    Default

    You could stop watching it. What was your opinion of the last batch of episodes before Amy/Rory left?
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

  10. #100
    Zachie Chan Ouch!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    7,652
    Articles
    3

    FFXIV Character

    Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

    Default

    I'm with Cuch. Since the return from the break, I've been less than impressed. I feel like the show has lost an awful lot of momentum lately, and the change in companion is a big part of it. Things need to start ramping up with her storyline sooner rather than later, because it just otherwise keeps reminding me that we've taken detours for something far more interesting.

  11. #101
    Yossarian Lives Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    51,027
    Articles
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    That was 3 Dr Who's in arrow now that were absolutely god awful. Terrible scripts. I don't even look forward to it anymore.
    Davos.

  12. #102
    Nobody's Hero Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belfast, Ireland
    Posts
    4,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    That was 3 Dr Who's in arrow now that were absolutely god awful. Terrible scripts. I don't even look forward to it anymore.
    Davos.
    There's nothing wrong with the acting. It's the scripts & storylines, they're smurfing awful. It's like watching a chef try to make Plum Duff out of tinned trout. Doesn't matter how good a chef he is....it ain't happenin

  13. #103
    Life got dark! Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Amigara Fault
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    23

    FFXIV Character

    Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

    Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

  14. #104
    Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charicific Valley
    Posts
    16,590
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    One of them should definitely be called Stormageddon.

  15. #105
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,306
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Are we all looking forward to Hide?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •