Page 45 of 65 FirstFirst ... 25353940414243444546474849505155 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: Season 10

:monster:

Did I mention how much I like Capaldi's costume yet? No? Well I really like Capaldi's costume.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's kind of bland, but I don't hate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I just watched the series 4 episode about the Volcano in Pompeii and I thought "That's Peter Capaldi!". Sure enough, it was. But it turns out there could possibly be an explanation for Mr. Capaldi showing up in the whoniverse twice before starring as the twelfth Doctor:

Doctor Who: Steven Moffat has an explanation for Peter Capaldi?s earlier appearances | Radio Times

Peter Capaldi: the new face of Who. Except to anyone who’s been paying attention, of course, that’s not quite true. Capaldi has already popped up as Roman merchant Lucius Caecilius Iucundus in series-four episode The Fires of Pompeii and as Home Office permanent secretary John Frobisher in Torchwood: Children of Earth.

So will those appearances just be swept under the carpet when Capaldi takes up his new post as the Doctor? Not necessarily. Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat says there could be an explanation for the fact that we’ve seen Capaldi’s face before – and it emanates from his predecessor Russell T Davies.

"We are aware that Peter Capaldi’s played a part in Doctor Who before and we’re not going to ignore the fact," Moffat told Nerd3. "I’ll let you in on this. I remember Russell told me he had a big old plan as to why there were two Peter Capaldis in the Who universe, one in Pompeii and one in Torchwood. When I cast Peter, [Russell] got in touch to say how pleased he was, I said 'Okay, what was your theory and does it still work?' and he said 'Yes it does, here it is'. So I don’t know if we’ll get to it… we’ll play that one out over time. It’s actually quite neat".

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't complain if they did sweep it under the rug. BBC recycles their actors, it's nothing new. It happened with Colin Baker, Freema Agyeman, etc.

Karen Gillan too, and TV Tropes has a bunch more examples.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I heard about Karen, I just didn't know which episode she appeared in. Funny that it's the same one Peter is in.

So given all of that, I don't see why the writers here feel a need to give a in-universe explanation and my gut instinct is, "Oh, God, it's going to be something stupid, isn't it?"

But we'll see.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If they're going to explain Peter being there (which I love, by the way), I think it'd be awesome if they explain Karen being there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

They'll probably let that one slide. It's hard to even recognize her with the face paint she had on.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I don't think they need to explain Peter being in the old episode. They never explained Gillian having appeared. Any explanation would likely be painfully forced, in a show that already strains the credulity on a semi-regular basis.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It would certainly be interesting to see this story told.....create your own caption!

"An unexplained chain of events sends the TARDIS to Earth where the 8th Doctor meets a companion from his future."

That would be so awesome. I would love to see that episode made. Actually anything with more McGann would be highly welcome, or for that matter any past Doctor. Yes, even Colin. Especially Colin. He demonstrated in the audio dramas that he's as awesome a Doctor as the others; he just was given troutty material. Having him be given proper material onscreen would be epic.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default theory

(SPOILER)since this regeneration cycle was underpowered at first or whatever, the regen form was taken from a previous encounter
    IF this is the case for all regens in this cycle i hope that the 14th is doctor moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    I like it. I think (I hope) it's representative of the more serious nature of this Doctor. I can only hope that in the opening moments of the next episode he becomes frustrated with the TARDIS and yells "smurfity fly!"

That probably won't happen.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I found this and thought it was really cool. I didn't know they made it! It's a short mini-sode right after the last episode of series 1 and before the first Christmas special.