Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1444545859606162636465 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: Season 10

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

We've got the Christmas special tonight and it should be one for the books. Regeneration episodes are always bittersweet. I shed a tear at the last one.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm interested enough by the departure of Moffat and a woman Doctor that I just bought the season pass on Amazon. Let's hope it's worth it!

I might watch the Christmas special as well, I guess!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I absolutely love her. And no it's not a "oh, it's because she's a woman". smurf off. She's goddamn amazing.

And the show feels so fresh again.

Okay, but it's season 11 now. I like her, but it's a bit early and the episode wasn't really the best overall plotwise IMO (intro episodes rarely are tbh), so I'm waiting to see her in action in some (hopefully) better episodes.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Any thoughts on the opening credits or new TARDIS design?

It kind of has a rustic cave feel like the 10th doctors, I think, though I'm not sure yet how I feel about those big pillars. They kind of seemed in the way of getting a proper view. I'm eager to see more scenes in there.

The opening theme sounds kind of old school.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The opening reminds me of Orphan Black (another one of my favorite sci-fi shows).

Personally, I'm in the camp that I really enjoy the new look of the TARDIS. It's very me, and is something I'd go for if it were mine.

This episode was boring, though. I'm still in Jodie's camp, and she was the best part of the episode, but everything else was underwhelming. Next week is going to be a tight-rope episode, but I hope it's better.

There are a lot of theories flying around this "Timeless Child".

anyways

Really liked the most recent episode, though it lost both me and Formy when the sinister floating wraps started talking.

Graham really grew on me this episode, I must say. Didn't make much of an impression in the first episode, but he really seemed to come into focus this time round. Yas, on the other hand, slipped very much into the background for most of the story. Of the three of them, she's the one I feel like I have the least of a grip on. Hopefully that'll change over the coming episodes.

Whittaker seems very good so far, I already feel like I've got a good sense of her Doctor as a character.

The new opening credits are a great callback to the original opening credits, I really like them.

I think the new TARDIS interior is good overall, although I wish it wasn't quite so monochromatic. The pillars leaning in towards the central console reminded me a bit of the 8th Doctor's TARDIS.

8th doctor control room.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Yeah, well I am prepared to bet by 2020 they'll be complaining about the new showrunner and waxing lyrical about Moffat.
    Well, naturally. RTD seemed to have experienced the same thing. "He's been on the show too long! Get someone else." Enter Moffat. "Moffat is terrible bring back RTD!"
    So true! Honestly, I think the whole concept of "showrunners" is fundamentally flawed. Every thing just ends up feeling a bit samey, as they have too much control over output. Just have different writers every week, with a head editor to prevent major inconsistencies.
    Moffat had some of the best one shot episodes prior to being the showrunner. There was good reason to think he would be an excellent replacement. Who knew those skills wouldn't translate well into season long arcs? I think the Moffat years were okay overall, but how much of that is on him and how much is on other writers is unclear to me. What is clear is that he couldn't stick a landing well. The season finales of the Moffat years were almost all overblown barely intelligible deus ex machina nonsense (more true of the Matt Smith years though). I think RTD had better season closers than Moffat, although some of that might be because he had David Tennant. RTD did Torchwood though, so I'm gonna say Moffat is better overall.

Episode 3 was another excellent episode. Feels like a long time since we've had a historical, and this was one of the better ones in New Who, at least that I can remember.

It felt to me like Yas finally played as important a role as Graham and Ryan, although Graham continues to be my surprise favourite.
    Whittaker continues to impress.

Glad the time racist got his comeuppance, but I would have quite liked to see him runninng away from a dinosaur or something when he was sent back in time.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This episode was uncomfortable, in a good way. I'm not from the Deep South, but I'm from a place that culturally, is not so different. Racism (at least while I was growing up) was still the open norm.

I always enjoy the episodes when the Doctor has to let bad things happen so that good things can happen instead. Fires of Pompeii, now Rosa.

I still think the premier is my favorite so far, last week's is still my least favorite.

Graham is my favorite companion this season. Last week I was rolling my eyes at how he's still trying to get Ryan to call him "grandad", but I actually REALLY appreciated here how he called Ryan his grandson twice. It would have been so easy for him to not say anything. That says a lot more about familial bonds than a title.

I rewound the part where she sonics the racist like 4 times. Her face was absolutely hilarious there.

It fits nicely into a mold of a particular type of Doctor Who episode. I feel like the episodes thus far have been missing something of the fantastical though. Hopefully next epispde will be different. I'm tiring of the troutty villains.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's missing FUN. There are moments, but it's just missing that heart and warmth. An ineffable quality, but easy to know when it's not there.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I still think the premier is my favorite so far, last week's is still my least favorite.
    I'd say 1-3-2 is probably my order, too, with 1 and 3 pretty much being tied.

The evil towels didn't do it for me.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah I'm done.

I'm cutting back on some shows and I took a hard look at what I was watching that I enjoyed versus just habitual watching.

It's not a bad season, I would rather just do other things with my time. I don't look forward to it every Sunday anymore.