Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: To Mars and never come back

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    We don't have to choose, but I think that we should because any money or fuel spent on space exploration is wasteful while we still have so many problems around scarcity (or perceived scarcity) of resources, animals becoming extinct, etc. There are many valuable qualities and achievements to be had by explorers, scientists, etc., I'm just not sure why those breakthroughs can't be made without the allure of travelling through space. I'm certain that there is a list somewhere, but what common, practical good has come of the moon landing, other than perhaps velcro? I also don't think that humans have the right to exploit resources simply because they find them on interplanetary ecosystems. So I guess I disagree, but I don't mind that we do.
    Seriously?

NASA Technologies Benefit Our Lives

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Yes, and I said so with the express purpose of provoking someone to do my research for me - so thanks, I'll read that.

Yes, no doubt. Seriously, where do I sign up?

I love my life here on Earth, but being one of the first people on Mars would be remembered for the rest of time. I mean we all end up dying anyway, might as well do something super epic before you go.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also take a look at this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...SA_dollars.jpg

Spending on NASA is a really good idea in tough economic times because it keeps things moving.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    We don't have to choose, but I think that we should because any money or fuel spent on space exploration is wasteful while we still have so many problems around scarcity (or perceived scarcity) of resources, animals becoming extinct, etc. There are many valuable qualities and achievements to be had by explorers, scientists, etc., I'm just not sure why those breakthroughs can't be made without the allure of travelling through space. I'm certain that there is a list somewhere, but what common, practical good has come of the moon landing, other than perhaps velcro? I also don't think that humans have the right to exploit resources simply because they find them on interplanetary ecosystems. So I guess I disagree, but I don't mind that we do.
    NCG, the sexy man that he is, covered a lot of the technological end. I'd like to add one big one that isn't on that list though: miniaturization. There was a time when it was seen as a good thing to have TV's and home stereo systems that were big and bulky like pieces of furniture. Not they fit in my pocket because NASA needed electronics and computers that could do the same job but with a lot less weight and while taking up less space. We can basically thank them for computers no longer taking up entire rooms and allowing the sort of technical advances which have actually saved lives, and which wouldn't have happened if you spent money funding research by a doctor in a lab to cure cancer instead of engineers trying to make faster, smaller computers to go into space.

And that's the point that I'm getting at here: anyone who says that we haven't had substantial benefit in every single field of science and human development because of things the space program gave us, developments that probably wouldn't have happened had we not attempted to overcome the greatest technological challenge humanity had ever faced in the entire history of civilization, is just plain wrong. It ignores the enormity of the challenge of actually going into space and returning in one piece, and just how much technology needed to literally be invented to do the job. Anything that gives that much back in terms of technology and furthering all scientific endeavors, not to mention the positive economic benefits that go with it, can't be described as wasteful. I'm sorry, it's literally just wrong to say that.

Also, I'm not sure why you believe we don't have the right to exploit resources from other planetary or other bodies in the Solar System and beyond? We're talking about bodies with no life to speak of that are rich in resources we need. That they are there and we would benefit is enough reason to utilize them.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    NCG, the sexy man that he is, covered a lot of the technological end.
    Thanks, bby.