Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korean food is best food!

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Korean food is best food!

• Korean BBQ = unlimited meat, which you cook right in front of your face.
    • A crap top of flavorful, delicious veggie sides served with every meal.
    • Soup also included in every god damn meal.
    • Restaurants give you complimentary dessert. Free frozen mothersmurfing yogurt!

CAN IT GET ANY BETTER?! No. It can't.

Talk about how Korean food is the best food!

Articles
    Blog Entries

We were staying just off of Korea town in LA and didn't once try Korean BBQ, despite getting a lot of recommendations, I really regret it now. Next time I'm in Melbourne I'll have to track down a good one as my state is terrible for any kind of dining.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I made me some kimchi a couple times. It was pretty good but most people around couldn't really appreciate the spicyness.

There's this little Korean place in town I go to every once in a while. Gotta love their kimchi pancakes. Would've been much better if they sold soju though
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I have never had Korean food before but I am interested in your unlimited meat idea and wish to subscribe. Tell me more about the meat.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I have never had Korean food before but I am interested in your unlimited meat idea and wish to subscribe. Tell me more about the meat.
    OK.

There's usually anywhere from 6-10 different kinds of meats you can order. Marinated ribs (or unmarinated), beef brisket, thin slices of pork belly (basically bacon), chicken, shrimp, octopus, etc. And you can keep ordering plates over and over. So if you have a plate of brisket and you love it, you can go back and order more of it until you feel like barfing cause you ate so much.

The marinade for the beef is a delicious mix of soy sauce, sugar, garlic, sesame oil, onions, and peppers. IT IS TO DIE FOR.

The meat also comes to your table raw.

At which point you cook it up at a grill placed in the center of your table.

You eat it alongside a bunch of fresh veggies and salad. This is important otherwise you will get meat fatigue too quickly. You must pace yourself! And one of the best things, the sauces! You get a hot chili garlic sauce or a sweet soy sauce or a salty sesame oil sauce to dip your meats in. It makes everything delicious to the max.

And one of my fav parts, the soup! They bring it out halfway through your meal and place it on the hot grill so it can cook and bubble up.

Occasionally at the end of the meal, the staff will take whatever leftover meat and veggie and rice there is and throw it onto the grill and create this fantastic fried rice concoction. NOM NOM NOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    We were staying just off of Korea town in LA and didn't once try Korean BBQ, despite getting a lot of recommendations, I really regret it now. Next time I'm in Melbourne I'll have to track down a good one as my state is terrible for any kind of dining.
    Noooooo. ;_;

If there's anything you *have* to eat while in LA, it's Korean food. And then Mexican food.
    Last edited by Miriel; 04-01-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Noooooo. ;_;

If there's anything you *have* to eat while in LA, it's Korean food. And then Mexican food.
    I actually got served authentic Mexican food in San Diego by a family that we were tail-gating with at the Chargers game, It was so amazing. But yeah, I really regret not going to one of the many, many Korean BBQ places that were literally 5 minutes walk from us

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I delighted in hearing these tales of meat and I will now investigate Korean BBQ. I have learned through the power of the internet that there is such a restaurant in the nearby sitting of Birming Ham and will attend the next time I am there. I encourage all fellow British EoFFers to join me in this quest for Korean BBQ. Thank you, Lady Miriel, thank you.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've never had it, but that looks great!

Are all/majority of Korean meals like that, or is that just what they serve in restaurants?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The unlimited meat thing, that's just for Korean BBQ. And fair warning, the unlimited thing seems to only exist in places with very large Korean populations. If the Korean restaurant doesn't have a korean name, and is instead called something like Korean Palace, then you're not likely to get unlimited meat. I grew up with it in SoCal, where it's ubiquitous, but even in Northern California it's harder to find.

All regular korean meals, whether it's BBQ or at a tofu house or just eating at home, does come with banchan though. It's one of the best things about Korean food. No matter what your main meal is, you get a ton of little sides to eat with it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Korean food is pretty good. BBQ is one of my favorite things ever.

I also really like bibimbap (rice mixed with a bunch of stuff and hot sauce) and donkatsu (breaded pork cutlet).

We had Korean food for dinner last night actually!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Holy trout I love bibimbap.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I love bibimbap too! I've never had it, but with a name like that, it can't be bad.

This Korean BBQ thing sounds pretty awesome. This threads reminds me of when I lived in Auckland, the variety of food in that city was amazing and there was a decent Korean population. Turns out there area couple of Korean restaurants in Edinburgh, though... don't think they have the unlimited meat option (is it safe to assume that also comes with unlimited veg/rice?).

I like Thai and Chinese food while with Japanese I tend to stick to the sushi (not a fan of the few other Japanese meals I've had). Which of these is Korean most similar to, if any of them?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bulgogi is good. I love that stuff. Kimchi is alright, but it can be too strong for me.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I like Thai and Chinese food while with Japanese I tend to stick to the sushi (not a fan of the few other Japanese meals I've had). Which of these is Korean most similar to, if any of them?
    It is most similar to Mexican food.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ooh, how unexpected. =o Interesting... will have a look through the menus sometime and order something in.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!