Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PC GAMING IS BEST GAMING

Articles
    Blog Entries

You didn't even use his screenshot... what point where you trying to make by complaining about your own EoFF text size? When I opened up his screenshot it was more that legible, both steam and the forum.

Also, it's a smurfing gaming client. Do you complain about a drink or a chocolate bar as a whole because you can't read all the print on the packaging as well? Basically, if you have time to measure words with a staple then you're not playing enough games... on steam.... cause they're cheap and awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That wasn't my EoFF text size. It was the Steam browser.

I don't complain about Steam as a whole. I'm on it every day and my profile speaks for itself. I'm just critiquing an argument in a discussion thread by bringing up one way in which the company is out of touch. I like being able to read chat or strategies via Shift+Tab without leaning close to the screen, if you look at my profile most games I play are competitive multiplayer games with friends. I'm with Nirojan on Dota 2 right now if you wanna play

Articles
    Blog Entries

Did you post about it in the Steam feedback forum?
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Are you saying you're sitting 3-4 feet away from a whatisit 24" 1920x1080 display? That's not very normal, I think.

In either case, try increasing your windows DPI scaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I'll touch it for you.

The price difference between a "work" PC and a PC that can play games at the same (or better) performance as a PS3 is pretty close to the price of a PS3. Then there's also the thing where you get cheaper games on PC. New retail games often cost 20% less than the console versions of the same games.
    I don't have need of a work PC and in fact I don't even own a PC, only a cheap laptop which I pretty much use for internet purposes (and playing oldschool PC games like Space Quest). However, it is interesting that PC games are in general cheaper. I did not know that.

Azar, how do you play Wii games on a PC?
    A laptop is a PC, man . I don't know how old your laptop is, but for laptops bought today, the price difference between an average laptop not made for games, and a laptop that could do PS3-quality gaming isn't very far from the price of a PS3. Of course, I'm not saying it'll be exactly on the dollar, but close enough for someone who isn't on an extremely tight budget to be able to deal with the difference.
    Last edited by Mirage; 04-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Girls, girls, you're both pretty.

Man, these debates.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

is this really a 50 post thread about the the Steam font size

There have been silly arguments.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, even I was kinda baffled about the font size thing. I didn't realise people played PC games four feet away from a tablet PC and complain about font size. I didn't realise people played games four feet away from a tablet PC and complain about anything but how small a tablet PC is and how unsuitable for gaming this makes it. Especially when you consider that it's a touchpad. How long are your arms, Bolivar? xD

I'm no Steam fanboy. I like the prices but I don't like the system. I bought SimCity 4 the other day and it always crashes after about 30-90 minutes and I lose all progress. Frustrating... but yeah. Anyway! I still like Steam games when they work (hi, FM2012), I just find myself wishing they weren't on Steam and that I could simply play them on my PC like I used to. Ah well.

But as I've said a few times, PC gaming and console gaming are both great. It's all opinion based and people can get really biased. Once you get into a game, it's either good or it's not. I doubt the platform has all that much to do with it.

Fun fact: I learned to love WarZone 2100, an RTS, when playing it on a console. I own it for both, but it goes to show that if you have the right game, even if it's in a genre traditionally completely unsuitable for the platform, you can still enjoy the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

God forbid we raise and critique arguments in the discussion forums

I apologize if expecting to read chats and guides at the native resolution of the gaming PC I spent money on is the most monstrously unreasonable thing any of you have ever heard in your life...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It's perfectly understandable to expect to be able to read these things, but tablet PCs simply aren't designed for people to be reading them from four feet away. Arguing that you should be able to view them from that distance is like arguing that you should be able to read FFXIII Datalogs from twice the reasonable distance. I mean, if I go four feet from my PC monitor, I can see the text but it's not something I can view without feeling the strain on my eyes on some level.

All I'm saying is that there comes a point where rather than requesting a higher font size, you should consider that you are not using the platform as it was intended.

Blog Entries

I just don't understand how you can't see it at it's native res. I where reading glasses and can still read things on both of my monitors at 1920x1080 with no glasses on from about 3 feet away.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It's perfectly understandable to expect to be able to read these things, but tablet PCs simply aren't designed for people to be reading them from four feet away. Arguing that you should be able to view them from that distance is like arguing that you should be able to read FFXIII Datalogs from twice the reasonable distance.
    of all examples you brought up one of the worst design features in FF history?
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wow.

BoB, you could've used some common sense or at least given me the benefit of the doubt (thanks) and realized that 4 feet is a bad guesstimation (I said 3-4 ). Even so, I've never said my beef is with Steam as a whole as Happy Noodle Boy and others have suggested, and I never said it's a problem everyone faces, as Bert's implying, but there are many who have discussed it in the Steam forums and elsewhere. All I was trying to point out is that PC gaming has its share of headaches, just like every platform. I mentioned a few other reasons, Vivi added a couple, and the Always On thread introduced how Steam doesn't allow you to install physical copies of games (or games you've fully downloaded) without an internet connection.

I suppose I should've emphasized some of those or a different approach that doesn't result in BoB calling me a woman

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you really going to attack him for singling out the 4 when what you said wasn't even very different? o_O

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yes and if he wants to continue getting rep for his posts praising FFXIII, he better take it like a man, er chocobo!