Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Europeans and American Geography

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Europeans and American Geography

I've noticed then whenever Europeans come to the US they assume everything is super close. Like how you could get to New York City from Chicago in only a few hours by car.

I suppose it's because Europe is relatively small, but still. Let's talk about some zany stories about people from other parts of the world getting their poor not-American minds confused.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

inb4 the Europeans show up and riposte by talking about confused Americans (MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD! )

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    inb4 the Europeans show up and riposte by talking about confused Americans (MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD! )
    I wanted to, but then I was like, meh Murica gets rightfully mocked every day on #eoff anyway.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Articles
    Blog Entries

I know for a fact that everyone thinks Australia is smaller than it is. But yeah, I knew exactly what I was getting into when I traveled to USA because I looked up all my greyhound trips before I got there.

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Like how you could get to New York City from Chicago in only a few hours by car.
    well if you consider 12 "a few", then sure

there're too many AMERICANS who don't know American geography. let's focus on them first. I know general stuff about European geography, like relative locations of countries, but I don't know or care to know like, how far it is from Spain to Poland. I'll care if I go there but for now, it's kind of unimportant.

but everyone should know that there's more to new york than just new york city

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    Haha , yeah, and it all sucks xD I stayed in Buffalo and then traveled from there to NYC via Rochester, Syracuse and some other places; countryside was nice, the towns were absolute holes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    Haha , yeah, and it all sucks xD
    well yeah, why do you think I spent most of my teenage years on the internet? we just don't like being forgotten

Blog Entries

I learned all 50 states and the capitals of most of them for the purposes of a sporcle quiz a few years ago. This, combined with my knowledge of some of the rules of American Football (rugby league but slower and with more fat people) and my eventually managing to figure out what a corn dog is means I that I now consider myself a native.

there was a picture here

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

They think 45 minutes away is too far to travel to visit somebody. Lazy gits

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm American and I think that! I don't like going any further than thirty minutes max.

I did tell Philip that I thought Australia is much smaller than the US. But that's because it's not important enough to be paid attention to in the first place, so it's not my fault.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Upstate NY is pretty much farm, farm, farm, CITY, farm, farm, wandering cows, farm, CITY, farm, farm, abandoned farm, farm, Onondaga nation, CITY. etc. NY state is really big.

One thing that amuses me is people who think of just Manhattan when someone mentions NYC. There are 4 other boroughs too!

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin Not much geography, but still.

I will probably never get used to: Snow, yellow taxis or schoolbuses, enormous food portions, corn syrup in everything, the marvel of crows, American holidays, Sprite and lemonade being different things, overly large vehicles, nickels being larger than dimes, that the country is large enough to warrant different time zones and contain land-locked areas.

Things I am sick of: People asking if I like Lord of the Rings (No) or Flight of the Conchords (Yes), if my country is "really beautiful" (it is, but so is where I live now and screeds of other parts of the states), if there are a lot of sheep, if I get to go home (I might get to if I got a dollar for every time someone asked me that), what crops we grow (Apples and grapes, just like Washington, not bananas and coconuts and mangos), if I have an accent, how I am finding it adjusting to "big city life" (I actually adjusted to small town life, having moved from a city of two million people).

I'm especially sick of people asking where I am from, and when I say NZ they say "Oh, I've visited/know someone who went to Australia!", as if they are the same and merely a brisk stroll away. Bah!

Blog Entries

Maybe they shouldnt have named thier captial city after their state if they wanted people to know there was more to new york. Hello daisy was more confusing than inception. First they were in new york but they were also in yonkers then they were going to a place called new york? WTF
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Maybe they shouldnt have named thier captial city after their state if they wanted people to know there was more to new york. Hello daisy was more confusing than inception. First they were in new york but they were also in yonkers then they were going to a place called new york? WTF
    The capital of New York State is Albany, not NYC.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

To be fair I don't know anything about American geography in the Northeast

They have all these little teeny tiny states about the size of a county here in Montana and I don't know which is which I mean come on