Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finally Playing FFIX

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Finally Playing FFIX

And actually enjoying it for a change! The two games I always worried about playing most when it comes to Final Fantasy were VI and IX, because of the hype both games got before I got around to playing them. FFVI for me didn't really reach the hype, but I've found myself really appreciating FFIX.

Did anyone else find this game a slow starter? It was a very slow starting game for me - I would pick it up for maybe an hour or so and then forget about it for weeks, it never captured my attention and hooked me in. I did that up to the point that you're wandering around Lindblum, just after you meet Freya for the first time. When I picked it up again at that point and pushed forward to the point you leave Lindblum, suddenly the game just got a lot more interesting. Perhaps it was getting Quina that made it more interesting, I'm not sure... either way, it's been great and I find myself playing a couple of hours a day (juggling it with reading the full history of Uncanny X-Men comics which are awesome, so can't spend all day playing it).

No spoilers, please. I've just got Eiko, if you're wondering where I'm up to at the moment... so don't talk about the future parts of the game if possible as I don't like it when people tell me to "look forward to _____!" or "Oh, you're going to really like the next bit!" ...it ruins the surprise.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I don't think from a narrative perspective is Slow, what I think makes it feel like that are the battles. Having a slow battle system in general, when you are doing those 1v1 fights, there is so much dead time between actions it feels like it drags. It's not until you consistently have the full 4 person group that the game gets over that.

And yeah, its after Quina the game starts to pick up. Not so much for Quina, but the introduction of both Beatrix and Kuja at Burmucia. The ruins of that city, the raining, the wonderful music, that was one of my favorite moments in the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I don't think from a narrative perspective is Slow, what I think makes it feel like that are the battles. Having a slow battle system in general, when you are doing those 1v1 fights, there is so much dead time between actions it feels like it drags. It's not until you consistently have the full 4 person group that the game gets over that.
    You're probably spot on with that. When I think of other FF games, more often than not this isn't an issue, but with FFIX you're doing a lot of battles with 1-2 people out of four, and you really feel it. Other FF's tend to start you with either a full party or one short of a full party from the get-go.

Also, what were your thoughts on The Black Waltz's? I though the coming of #3 was one of the games better moments.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

*shrug* I just find them to be like your average boss fights, nothing special. If you mean the scenes in which they arrive and all that... just part of the game for me. Nothing mind-blowing. I can't even remember which one is which. Which one was #3?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, right, that guy. Yeah, his scenes were pretty cool.

The most interesting scenes for me so far are when Brahne used Odin and Atomos, I think... particularly the latter if only because I've never seen Atomos on such a scale before, and he really suits it. The storming of the castle by the many black mages was well done, too, the eyes really 'make' it.

Other than scenes, I've adored the Dwarven city (I forget the name). Living in Scotland, I can really appreciate the dialogue.

I loved the Dwarf City, though I don't like Eiko. Probably my least favorite character in this game. But eh, at least she serves her purpose for the plot well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That scene is the only scene where Atomos is useful. And the Odin scene is AMAZING.

I completely agree, though. Up until you leave Lindblum, the game is very slow, and even dull. I don't think it's because Quina joins your party, because Quina's useless and annoying.

For me, it's because you start visiting some really interesting places with beautiful music, and it's the first time the world really opens up for you. Yes, you're still on a path, but it's the first time you can truly explore. I also love how they story splits in two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's because you are introduced to Choco.

Also, BoB: you're really going to like the next part.

I think it's best not to presume what BoB will and will not enjoy, his tastes can be a bit spotty at times.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Your face can be a bit spotty at times.

You know, I had response to that, but I disturbed myself with it a little, so I'm just going to keep it to myself.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Thanks for letting us know anyway.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Who are your favourite characters so far, Spotty NoB? In terms of both story and battle, I mean.