Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concerts

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Bryan Adams, when I was around 13 or so - It was alright. I idolised him, but a standing concert was certainly not my thing at the time. I know others who were not as into Bryan Adams enjoyed it a lot more than I did.
    Simple Minds, when I got to the UK - It was alright.
    Def Leppard, in the first couple of years in the UK - It was amazing. Really great.
    Emma's Imagination, a few years back - it felt more like a gig than a concert, a more intimate affair than the previous ones.
    Distant Worlds, last year - incredible. Despite having, I suspect, more people there than when I was at most of the previous concerts, it felt more intimate than any of them. The songs were powerful, the atmosphere was amazing, everything was just perfect. I just wish it could have kept going.

In order of preference: Distant Worlds > Def Leppard >>> Simple Minds > Emma's Imagination > Bryan Adams. Despite all that, Bryan Adams remains one of my favourite singers and I think I'd appreciate a live concert with him now far more than I did back then.

If I could go to any concert at this point, it would probably be another Distant Worlds one or perhaps - if it were possible - Ed Sheeran on a small scale gig (ie, one room, easy access to the bar, etc). I'm not a huge concert person, really. I do like gigs at bars and stuff, though, where you can talk your way through without people getting pissed off at you and you have your own table.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Pink Floyd-- Saw them as a real little kid and it was the first concert I went to. Pink Floyd has always been real awesome with visuals and this concert was no exception.
    Jealous!

Some of my favs;

Arcade Fire - Amsterdam 2007, Neon Bible Tour (seen them 4 times in total, but this one still had some of the fury of Funeral)

Dr. Dog - Amsterdam 2010 and Seattle 2012. Both were insane.

The Hives - Rock Werchter, Belgium 2011. Magic. Mind control. Rock'n'roll.

The Riverboat Gamblers - Haarlem 2004. Fun story; (SPOILER)I was fifteen and just 1 year short of being allowed to drink. Luckily one of my best friends had a bit of a beard and looked old enough, so he got the rounds. The Riverboat Gamblers started; we don't know what hit us. Jesus, swinging microphones, a monkey-like singer climbing over the bar and all around the venue and a 5 strong band rocking the hardest I to this point have witnessed. At one point the singer requests a lounge couch from the back to be brought on stage. Before we knew it my friends and me were lying on the couch, on stage, while the singer was jumping from on side to another on the backrest while swinging his mic 360 around. SUCH EPIC.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In late may im going to 2 concerts
    Vampire weekend and of monster and men
    Andddd the other
    Arctic monkeys

Im not sure which in more excited for

Concerts ive gone to:
    Say anything - went because a friend wanted me to tag along. Having only heard a few songs they were really good. Quite a fun band to see live, it was just a good time.

Crue fest - its a long list, was mostly fun watching all the drunk guys at the concert.

Yellowcard - holy. Trout. These guys are good live, and i saw them right off of them coming off a hiatus. They played for almost 3 and a half hours straight and it was just amazing. It was also a tiny venue that costed 20 bucks. Best concert ever so far.
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 04-16-2013 at 04:06 PM.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
    First one ever was Coachella 2010.
    Damn, I would've love to go to that Coachella.

Probably one of the Projekt Revolutions I went to, or the Madison Square Garden L'arc en ciel concert. They were the first Japanese band to play there. Mostly the last one because it felt good to be a part of something monumental.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been to far too many gigs to sit here and list them all. It's one of those London perks I guess where going to a gig is pretty damn easy because there's always music being played live somewhere. Not to mention every tuesday night in college the best rock club in North London for that time/place had a gig in it by someone... thats how I saw a lot of bands like Electric Six before they got massive.

The best gig I've ever been to comes down to 1 in 3 gigs 2 are by the same artist the difference being the support acts and intimacy.

1st contender: 30 Seconds To Mars live at the O2 Arena. Easily the biggest gig I've ever been to for just one band, the venue is huge and many artists could appear flustered by this fact, granted 30STM is not everyone's cup of tea but if you guys had seen how Jared Leto handled being in such a huge venue in front of such a huge crowd without flinching you'd understand why it was so good.

2nd contender and probably the highest ranked contender: Rise Against Endgame launch gig, Camden's Electric Ballroom. Only 800 people got tickets for this gig, the venue comfortably held roughly 600 of them. It was a crush and the gig got broadcast live over the net to the world. As such the band played it like it was a stadium of 100,000 people not a venue of 800. I found this gig mindblowing, the music alone had me hard as a mountain and covered in goosebumps never mind the hot girl who was with me there. Song wise it was a mashup, pretty much all of Endgame got played and a lot from both Suffer And The Witness and Appeal To Reason. I had an amazing night it's still hard a few years down the line to find the right words, hearing songs like Savior and Survive in that environment was immense especially Survive with it's personal relativity for me.

3rd contender was Rise Against again. I have to admit Rise Against was not at their peak here I've never been a fan of the Acoustics or atmosphere found in the Brixton Academy much of the sound is simply lost as the place originally was a proper theatre but careless modifications on the ceiling level have ruined the natural acoustics of it and replaced it with a gig that whilst loud sounds flat and doesn't carry well. The band had also been on tour solidly for the past 2 years or so since I saw them at the Ballroom you didn't need to look hard at Tim's face to see he and the others were tired. However the support acts here were a lot better than those found in the Ballroom including the legendary guitarist Tom Morello. That was a huge thing, you could have paid more to go see Tom alone let alone see him supporting one of the greatest post-hardcore punk bands of the age.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My favorite was seeing Radiohead last year. There's a beautiful outdoor venue in Cincinnati right off of the Ohio river. They started playing as the sun was setting, and the weather was just perfect, and the acoustics were wonderful, and their light show was superb. It was spiritual. I savored every moment because I have no idea when it'll ever happen again, with how sparsely they tour these days.

I've never really been to a bad show - Modest Mouse wasn't an amazing show, but that was mostly an audio mixing problem at the venue. This summer I'll be seeing Brad Paisley for the second time and hopefully Muse later on. Muse puts on a seriously rockin' live show.

Smile and Be happy :love: louby_4eva's Avatar

I've been to Download festival twice and am going for just one day this year! So I've seen a fair few bands playing live

Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, Aerosmith, Rage against the machine, Hollywood undead, skindred, system of a down, switchfoot and so many others.

It's so hard to choose a favourite because they're all good for different reasons, but Rise Against is one of my favourite bands so I'll have to say they were the best. They're fantastic live. I got to the very front of that gig in Leeds and it was completely amazing ^_^

It'll change soon though as 3 Doors Down are playing Download this year!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, Bamboozle Festival was also pretty cool, but a bit overwhelming. The stages were too close together so there was a mish mash of different music at certain times. I think they've since improved that in later Bamboozles.

Blog Entries

I'm not much of a concert person, I more go to festivals and bars.
    I've never been to a major bands concert before.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My first concert ever was Coachella 2013 which ended yesterday. It was pretty fun, though a bit crazy for my tastes.

And the best part wasn't the music; it was the gourmet food. They had everything from Waffle ice cream to crab & garlic fries to other amazing stuff.
    I agree! In fact, we ate both of those yesterday.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've wanted to go to Coachella for years, I'm so jealous!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Went to Chris de Burgh today. The guy is an absolute master at what he does.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Blog Entries

I saw a big article a month or so ago about how Coachella is like all "mainstream" and not a "real" festival anymore and that it's run by corporations and all that good stuff. It was a bunch of hippies sending it around from some of the festivals I go to over here.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What's wrong with being mainstream and run by corporations?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

First one ever was Coachella 2010.

Second one was Coachella 2012.

Both were 2 of the best weekends of my life. And the best part wasn't the music; it was the gourmet food. They had everything from Waffle ice cream to crab & garlic fries to other amazing stuff. Hot Chip in 2010 was amazing. They started playing as the sun went down and they slowly raised the beat and trout and it was just epic. My brain was all fuzzy.
    Hot Chip was fantastic at this recent Coachella too! Dance parrrtaayy!!

Coachella 2013 was incredible. Love love loved it. My favs:

Pretty Lights, Major Lazer, The Postal Service, The Lumineers, Band of Horses, Allen Stone, Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Jurassic 5, Of Monsters and Men, Sigur Rós.

And seriously, those crab fries and waffle ice cream are NO JOKE. Ridiculously good.