Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orphan Black

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Default Orphan Black

Anyone watching? WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

:monster:

Just binge-watched the whole thing and holy smurf.

We can't be the only two people on this forum watching.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I don't even know what this is!

Brief, First Episode Spoiler-ish summary of the premise: (SPOILER)Sarah is a small-time con artist who sees a woman who looks exactly like her jump in front of a train. She takes the dead woman (Beth)'s belongings, which she had thoughtfully left behind, and makes plans to escape town with $75,000 and her daughter. However, it quickly becomes apparent that Beth killed herself because her life was a complete mess, and impersonating Beth brings with it more than Sarah bargained for. The end of the first episode has her meeting up with another identical woman, Katya, who is shot dead in Sarah's presence. It quickly becomes apparent that Sarah, Beth, and Katya are/were all clones, and someone is trying to kill them off. And there are other conspiracies that extend far deeper than one might suspect at first glance.

The writing, effects, soundtrack, etc., are all quite top notch, but the main reason to watch it is Tatiana Maslany. She plays at least eight different characters, and they are all completely different people, to the point where while the make-up distinguishes them, you really don't need it; their mannerisms do enough differentiating on their own. But it's not just that; the characters impersonate each other as well, and she manages to make herself playing a character playing another character completely believable. It's an accomplishment the likes of which I have never seen before in film or on television; I'm honestly convinced it's the greatest acting performance I've ever seen.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This sounds ridiculously interesting! I hadn't heard of it before.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I had just heard of this the other day. It sounds pretty good. I intend to watch at some point. Sooner rather than later.

LV or Ani?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Live-action, if that's what you're asking.

I'm so glad this show is back! I rabidly consumed the first season. I'll just assume Tatiana Maslany was given 7 Golden Globes and Emmys by default in the mail last year. Maybe this time they can be bothered to invite her to the shows.

It seems to be moving into bigger conspiracy, which I'm okay with I guess. (SPOILER)Surprised Helena is still around. How much blood is in her? She's like a horror movie villain.

(SPOILER)The show seems to be implying that the clones and their offspring are nearly impossible to kill. Kira survived being run over by a car at a frighteningly high velocity and Helena already survived being run through with a giant smurf-off pole (which also caused her to lose tons of blood) so I wasn't at all surprised that she survived getting shot. It took getting shot through the head to kill Katja and it took getting run over by a train to kill Beth and some people still don't believe the latter is truly dead. The show creators also seem to be aiming for Steven Moffat levels of outright lying to the audience, given that they spent more than eight months insisting Helena was dead.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm most of the way through the first season and holy trout, this show is phenomenal to me.

It feels on a sort of level as a female Dexter in a way, what with the crime drama and tension and (SPOILER)a murdering religious psychopath. Tatiana Maslany's acting is unlike anything I've ever seen, she is simply astounding. I am loving the flow of the storyline and so far (just finished with episode eight), nothing feels stretched or convenient to me about how we've managed to progress through the plot points. I am really enjoying it.

helenaMaslany's portrayal of Helena is bone-chilling. It's refreshing to have a female character who is an absolute psychopath who manages to give you an unsafe, uncomfortable, dangerous feeling about the character without stretching into the typical scorned woman realm that I find myself all too sick of. The fact that she manages to procure some humanity within the role as well (letting Kira go back to Mrs. S's house after basically kidnapping her) inspires some pity from me, even if she is a lunatic. I'm loving it.

And huge crush on Tatiana as Cosima. I never thought braids would do it for me, but somehow she did.

Finally, someone else watched this. Glad you're enjoying it

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really am! I marathoned the trout out of it while traveling yesterday and I can't wait to go home and finish the rest of it. It's got me sucked in!

edit: I also really like Alison's character development within just a few episodes. She is a marginally different person from who she was when we met her, while Sarah feels like the same person as she just adapts to new situations. It's good stuff.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really need to watch this someday. Your post, Shorty, also reminded me that I need to try watching Dexter someday.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Just waiting for that Netflix release.