Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy X is Objectively the Best Final Fantasy

:monster:

Certainly the way he resolves his father issues is pretty damn mature, but that's at the end of the game. The stuff before that isn't exactly so pleasant.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Certainly the way he resolves his father issues is pretty damn mature, but that's at the end of the game. The stuff before that isn't exactly so pleasant.
    It's a process.

Most people aren't able to just forgive someone in 30 seconds, without spending time working through their issues. And it's really not that bad. Like MILF said--it's more introspective than whiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

:monster:

Perhaps, but the large amount of narration means we get an awful lot of "introspection". It still came off as unnecessarily dramatic to me. I've seen plenty of shows, films, and books where characters had similar issues with their parents where they didn't come off as so histrionic about them. Maybe that just speaks to a preference in my mind for stoic characters, but Tidus got on my nerves at times.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

What would have been nice maybe is if we saw other people's perspectives on the whole Daddy issue. All we got was Tidus and his monologues - I would have like to heard Yuna's personal thoughts on it, or maybe Rikku... Anyone!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    What would have been nice maybe is if we saw other people's perspectives on the whole Daddy issue. All we got was Tidus and his monologues - I would have like to heard Yuna's personal thoughts on it, or maybe Rikku... Anyone!
    We already did.

Yuna tells Tidus that the Jecht she knew was kind, and that she knows Jecht loved him.

Auron says he was a drunk with issues, but he also knew Jecht loved him.

Wakka and Lulu basically say Tidus is an entitled bitching for hating his father, as they hardly knew their parents.

Rikku says that no dad could be worse than hers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    The battle system is good, one of the best. The music is too. However, the plot is relatively unoriginal (special magic person guided to elemental shrines to pray and summon creatures with which she will giver her life to save the world with), the characters all fit Final Fantasy archetypes down to the number, the voice acting and direction is bad in most cases, hurting the drama despite some talented people behind it. This is not really as up for debate as people can claim.

The localization is meh and the writing/dialogue is painfully stilted, cardboard, and uninspired, with some of the most obvious, intelligence-insulting lack of subtlety that manages to flanderize, demean the intelligence, and belittle the seriousness and intelligence of its own character and plot, especially with such moments as Seymour's childishly over-the-top metaphorical villain speeches, Tidus' constant inability to express his angst and daddy issues without resorting to full-on whining, and Yuna's awkward, flat displays of passion with words of wisdom from a pre-teen girl's bible study. In short, show, don't tell. And yet this game insists on telling you the character's struggles multiple times at the expense of developing characters like Kimahri or Lulu or getting into the admittedly interesting lore.

The game is linear and manages to diminish the life of its world by making the game so closed-off, with the sheer natural beauty being reduced, with a few exceptions, walkways. Also, the themes are not presented in a manner that makes the game seem preachy, and while there are moments of pathos, they're undermined by countless moments of melodramatic and direct communication of the games' themes, which is the worst way to present a theme or message in a way that can correlate with daily life as the player is not required to connect the message to a real-world parallel.

In short, MILF, you once again make a sweeping statement about something you are incorrect about (and relative).
    It's funny, because everything you list here as negatives, are in fact the reasons why it's one of the best games ever made.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Late to the party, but I indeed agree that FFX is objectively the best in the series.

The world feels alive and humane in dealing with Sin. It's themes are well executed and relate to similar situations in our own world; corrupt religions, indoctrination, racism, mankind and it's use of technology - all are well thought out and explored in the game.

I could talk hours about the fantastic character development, but most of it has already been covered in this thread.

But there is one thing why X truly stands out above the rest: not a single aspect of the adventure feels like filler. It's a tight package; everything - from props to dialogue - is placed with care and really matters to the player and to the world. And that's something I really can't say about other fan favorites like VII, IX, XII. As for IV, I see why it is great, but there are also many game-design flaws that make it inferior to X.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Do you expect me to talk?

To those that point out "but you would whine too if you were in that situation" - if I wanted realism, I would not expect pretty much anything Tidus does to happen. I wouldn't expect him to suddenly be able to take on wave after wave of monsters. I would expect him to die.

Luckily, this stuff is called Final Fantasy for a reason, and my ideal Final Fantasy doesn't involve a whiny little bitch of a hotshot sports player. If I wanted to play that, I'd be looking forward to a Cristiano Ronaldo RPG. I'm surprised Tidus doesn't fall over, do a triple roll, get up, flap his hands and sit down on the ground every time he gets whacked by an enemy. It'd be more in line with his general attitude.

I'll say it again - the game itself, as in the plot and the gameplay, I enjoy. The characters just ruin it for me, and I know they ruin it for a lot of people.

Objectively. Of course.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

And I'm saying, I still never noticed any "whine" from Tidus.

Objectively.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

'Whine' isn't the first thing that comes to mind for me, to be fair.

'Annoying twat'. That's probably closer to the mark.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You guys are weird.

I'm playing through it now, I've been sitting here thinking "Now that I'm older and more experienced with writing maybe the characters will be more annoying" and I keep waiting for them to be annoying and it's not happening.

Well, Yuna is slightly annoying, but not enough to be game-ruining.

Tidus is great, though. He has whined like, twice so far and both times were completely understandable IMO.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

To be fair, I'm certain that the people who wrote out Tidus' character were experienced, too. Sometimes people just view characters differently - it can't be helped. A great example of this (for me) is Cloud - I don't know if you've seen the two different poses that Nomura drew him in, but they show a remarkably different personality. Then you have his Advent Children character, which is different again. His Crisis Core character, again, different. It annoys me to no end that they mess about with his character so much. Still, I've always seen him as I did the first time I saw him - a strong character in body and mind. Even when he was struggling with his inner demons, I saw his strengths shining through. I just can't do that with Tidus - my first impressions of Tidus were that of a bleach-blonde surfer moron who likes to complain and I guess the saying rings true that first impressions last. I liked to use him in battle, though, and he didn't annoy me 100% of the time. Just... most of the time that he talked or interacted with anyone.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    To be fair, I'm certain that the people who wrote out Tidus' character were experienced, too.
    Well, I didn't mean that so much as I figured I would be better equipped to view a character from a critical standpoint than I was ten years ago or whenever the hell I last played this game. xD But if anything I like the characters more now then I did back then.

On the subject of annoying characters: anyone?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Zidane is a bit of a dork, but I haven't actually been annoyed by him so far. Which is kind of surprising to be honest, because my younger self really didn't like the idea of a guy with a tail, probably because I'm not a big fan of monkeys and... yeah, I don't know. But overall I've found him to be pretty standard. Nothing special, but nothing terrible. Still, I'm not finished with the game yet, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    On the subject of annoying characters: anyone?
    Zidane is not annoying.