Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wasting food

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Default Wasting food

IS A TERRIBLE THING TO DO AND YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT.

It is one of my pet peeves or whatever you'd call it. Do you throw away a lot of food? Food that's genuinely gone bad (not just imaginary bad) is exempt.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I HATE DOING THIS

Even if I am full I will do my best to eat everything off of my plate. It's probably not good for me, seeing as I have a small stomach.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Rantz, I'm not even joking whenever I have to throw away some food I picture your face in my mind and how disappointed you'd be in me!

I think I'm quite bad at wasting food. It's something I'm trying much harder not to do, mostly I'm that person that forgets she bought those strawberries until one day she finds them a bit... green in the fridge. It's hard when you buy for one person as you're responsible for eating it all. When I'm at home (parents) though, no food gets wasted because we have 4 rottweilers okay.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I try to avoid wasting food. Sometimes food expiry just creeps up on you, though.

Mr Shauna can be pretty awful for it. He bought some sandwich meat and made one sandwich with it, and the rest of it sat in the fridge for about 2 months. I was eating other leftovers for lunches at that point so I couldn't help the effort to eat it. >:{

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do my best to avoid wasting food because I've personally been in situations where a good meal is hard to come by, unfortunately it's human nature to waste when the supply is plentiful I just wish everyone would keep it in mind that there are others who would find their wastefulness to be a travesty.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always eat everything that I've either ordered or served myself because I hate being wasteful.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

It's really rough with kids because their metabolisms are all over the place. Full-on meals just don't work. So much is wasted. The answer to not wasting food is not to just eat everything (that's an especially terrible thing to teach kids), but to portion less in the first place.

I despise wastefulness (and not just food). I think it's probably somewhere beyond pet peeve level. I'm kind of mean about it sometimes.

Even food that's kind of gone bad (stale cereal, partially rotten bananas, etc.) can be useful. My oldest daughter is super crafty and uses stale cereal, spilled noodles, ruined rice, etc. in her crafts and "experiments."

Fruit & vegetables that have gone bad still make good smoothies.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

**** the police.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aside from milk and the occasional loaf I only ever buy what I can consume, milk needs to be super fresh for me I cannot stand it on the verge of turning sour. I never throw good food away. I learnt the hard way the cost of that.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I generally don't waste food unless I really, really don't like whatever it is I've made or ordered.

I try my best to finish everything off my plate. It's been ingrained into me to eat absolutely everything on my plate. However, if I do get really full, I'll eat the foods that are worth more and leave the less valued food scrap.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Why would I throw away my food when I have dogs and a father? If I won't eat I know at least one of them will, or I just put it in the refrigerator to save for another time.

The only time I throw things away if it's burned or it's expired.

Also it is a huge pet peeve of mind when people say, "people are starving in Africa so don't waste food"

Firstly, people are starving here too not just Africa. Secondly, people starve in Africa because of a food distribution problem not because I am throwing away this burnt up quesadilla. Thirdly, this one quesadilla being thrown away is not going to help or hurt any of those starving people. Fourthly, smurf off.

if i don't finish what i took/made for myself, i have leftovers, AKA the food of the gods

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Yep I try to waste as little as possible. I will always find a way to eat or use something that's left over. Not out of any great desire to THINK OF THE STARVING PEOPLE, more just a general "I paid for this so it's getting eaten." Then again I'm generally fine on that side of things anyway because I'm not someone that likes doing a monthly shop and shoving things in the freezer, I try as much as possible to shop often and eat fresh. I'm actually not opposed to going to a market or butchers or whatever every day rather than dealing with some troutty lump of frozen stuff. So I generally only buy what I need in the immediate future.

But yeah if i'm gonna chuck something it's either 'cause it's off or I really hate it.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

as a side note how often would you lot go grocery shopping I try and go once - twice a week and select only what I can eat in the next few days. This pattern allows me to be flexible in what I want because I only have to think of 4 - 5 days food maximum this is a great planner for how much I'll need/what to buy.