Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So here's to you, Mr. Robinson.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    "wild west" internet
    That's a strikingly fitting epithet for the internet pre-2003.

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Hey, only two attempts needed to remember my password!

EoFF was important, no doubt about it, just like FFO or FFWA were, or any of the hundreds, hell, thousands of online communities that sprang up between 1995-2005, as were the BBS systems from the mid-70's to the mid-90's, because they were an integral part of geek culture's pubescence. They were places where people who were outcasts IRL could find others of like mind, talk about the shared love for whatever fandom it was that they had, and along the way, discover all the the other things they had in common. Where we struggled to connect to people in "the real world" (and man, has that phrase proved to be completely inaccurate or what?), we could always connect online. Unless our crappy 33.6k dial-up modems flaked on us. Stupid bastard things.

In many ways, EoFF isn't that remarkable when compared to many of the communities of yesteryear in their heyday; the thing that I believe lifts it above most others though, is that it is still here, it is still strong, and even in today's Facebook/Twitter/YouTube-dominated world, it's still relevant.

One of the things I liked the most, looking back, was the incestuousness of the FF forum community, and the sideways movement into other arenas of interest: FFWA, FFO, EoFF, FFL, Legardinia, Fool's Gold, tGA, FFRepublic, Advent Children.net, and the various other spinoffs that all had commonalities, and also great differences, where if you were in the mood for something different, you could head to a place that'd cater for that, but still be around familiar faces. It's kinda like having Cheers next to Central Perk next to The Bronze next to MacLaren's, and so on and so on. One day you might want beer, the next coffee, the next a rave, but everywhere you went, your friends would always be there too. Online, it was virtually (hah!) impossible to ever be alone, unless you actually tried at it, whereas it's all too easy to entirely bounce off people and communities and activities IRL.

Really, when I think about it, it just comes down to the simple fact that the internet is a wonderful place, and I'm glad to have had it in my life at an important time when I was growing up.

Now to disappear for another good few years...

...oh, and what do you mean I'm late? Not my fault Towns didn't send a stupid email until to--*gets shot by a sniper*
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

:monster:

Holy trout, it's Spatvark. How're you doing?
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

You just missed him. He'll be back in a couple of years.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

SPATVAAAAAARK!

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark View Post
    Hey, only two attempts needed to remember my password!

EoFF was important, no doubt about it, just like FFO or FFWA were, or any of the hundreds, hell, thousands of online communities that sprang up between 1995-2005, as were the BBS systems from the mid-70's to the mid-90's, because they were an integral part of geek culture's pubescence. They were places where people who were outcasts IRL could find others of like mind, talk about the shared love for whatever fandom it was that they had, and along the way, discover all the the other things they had in common. Where we struggled to connect to people in "the real world" (and man, has that phrase proved to be completely inaccurate or what?), we could always connect online. Unless our crappy 33.6k dial-up modems flaked on us. Stupid bastard things.

In many ways, EoFF isn't that remarkable when compared to many of the communities of yesteryear in their heyday; the thing that I believe lifts it above most others though, is that it is still here, it is still strong, and even in today's Facebook/Twitter/YouTube-dominated world, it's still relevant.

One of the things I liked the most, looking back, was the incestuousness of the FF forum community, and the sideways movement into other arenas of interest: FFWA, FFO, EoFF, FFL, Legardinia, Fool's Gold, tGA, FFRepublic, Advent Children.net, and the various other spinoffs that all had commonalities, and also great differences, where if you were in the mood for something different, you could head to a place that'd cater for that, but still be around familiar faces. It's kinda like having Cheers next to Central Perk next to The Bronze next to MacLaren's, and so on and so on. One day you might want beer, the next coffee, the next a rave, but everywhere you went, your friends would always be there too. Online, it was virtually (hah!) impossible to ever be alone, unless you actually tried at it, whereas it's all too easy to entirely bounce off people and communities and activities IRL.

Really, when I think about it, it just comes down to the simple fact that the internet is a wonderful place, and I'm glad to have had it in my life at an important time when I was growing up.

Now to disappear for another good few years...

...oh, and what do you mean I'm late? Not my fault Towns didn't send a stupid email until to--*gets shot by a sniper*
    i don't hear you chain-casting Lex Aeterna !!

How have you been these past five years?!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark View Post
    I hope you were about to say totally ages ago, because I sent an email to you ages ago. I'm pretty sure it was even personalised! Must've gone to your spambox or something. We had a reunion and you were most certainly in demand (you can probably accept our Steam friend requests now, too, right?).

I MISSED YOU SPATTY ;_; STAY FOREVER. Or at least add me to Facebook if you have one so I can nag you in a far easier way. >=]
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love how they chose they picture of Daniel and smitten. Daniel looks like such a pervy version of Tom Cruise in that picture.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I love how they chose they picture of Daniel and smitten. Daniel looks like such a pervy version of Tom Cruise in that picture.
    We chose it... it's the only good recent pic we have of ourselves.

Shiny makes me self-concious. But hey, at least I still look like Tom Cruise after all these years. ^_^
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

On the plus side he did make all the Reddit nerds jealous.