Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oh hey, Cid's on Kotaku...

Good read. Who knew this forum would endure for this long.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Cid View Post
    Welp, my first student read the article and found me. >_<
    Hah, you had to know this would happen. I would think this makes you about 1000x cooler, but then again some of your students might be like "forums? fansites? 1999? wtf is this trout?"

thanks for the mention cid! i know ffwa isnt as big anymore but theres still stuff happening there. check it: https://www.facebook.com/dreachan/po..._t=share_reply

kotaku on old fansites - FF:WA

good read!
    never have i seen more people fannying around than at the eyes on final fantasy messageboards

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    No, we need the wiki is what we need.
    Out of curiosity, what happened to the wiki?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    No, we need the wiki is what we need.
    Out of curiosity, what happened to the wiki?
    One of the updates broke the log in system and it was never fixed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

So it looks like a portion of FFO's community splintered off when it shut down to form FF Society, and there's a thread about this article: The Final Fantasy Fansite that changed thousands | General Discussion | Forums | Final Fantasy Society

Of course, a lot of the discussion involves a tiny portion of the article: my one quote where I talk about how strict it was back then. xD Though I am amused that some of the old staff agreed with me in the Kotaku comments. Regardless of the merits of my statement (and '99 FFO certainly did have a reputation for being more ban-happy than '06 EoFF with a room full of snow penises), it's good to see how Azar's article and EoFF has been noticed by the remnants of those other old FF fansites.

so how many people are actually left of those who have started on ffo and then moved to ffwa only to end up on eoff? ive been active more or less on all of them. most active on ffwa of course, which i have been maintaining since 2003 or something like that. occasionally dropping in here and on ffo... which recently died, did you hear?

also sup raistlin ff7 master
    never have i seen more people fannying around than at the eyes on final fantasy messageboards

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    I got to tell Sean's story, and in a too-brief way talk about what I think was a very special time for the Internet that has now mostly disappeared. But there are a lot of other stories out there. Thousands! If you Skyped with and went around videotaping interviews with every member who had a story to tell, well, that could make for a pretty awesome documentary.

I'd watch it.
    Well now that's a brain bug that's going to stick around. Maybe I'll end up with enough free time someday in the future to pull it off.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn, that was quite the powerful article.
    Even though ive only been here for a short time a lot of this stuff still hits home.
    And cid: dont worry, one of our schools favorite teachers likes to talk about his adventures in gta4. The way i see it, a good teacher balances being professional with being really fun and relatable. I expect that you do that fine. I doubt that students knowing of eoff will ruin your reputation or anything. ^^

EDIT: and wait... Someone had a crush on PG? Oh man, thats just.... I have no words.
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 04-30-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    thanks for the mention cid! i know ffwa isnt as big anymore but theres still stuff happening there. check it: https://www.facebook.com/dreachan/po..._t=share_reply

kotaku on old fansites - FF:WA

good read!
    I wish I could get this Facebook link to load. Someone mentioned it in the comments as well. Sounds like quite the reunion!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzakeru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzakeru View Post
    (Though, I could still do without the crush I had on PG for like a week or two when I first joined. WTH.)
    That may be the most embarrassing thing anyone has ever confessed to on EoFF.
    He was gloomy and mysterious! I couldn't help myself! I blame video games.
    I was talking to PG when I read this. I mentioned it to him, and his response was, "Um... well, whatever works."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I like how they rag on FFOnline I joined that forum before. The staff on there or at least back then were some straight up asses!
    That was a very good and informative read. I didn't read all of it just yet, but I'll come back and give my full opinion on it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only recently really posted anything on this forum and have been a lurker for a little longer than that, but I thoroughly enjoyed the article. I wish I could have known about this community back when I was younger. I used to enjoy the idea of forums, but I could never really find a community as enjoyable as EoFF seems to be. I also was one of the only people amongst my friends who were fans of Final Fantasy and felt isolated in that considering how big of a part of my life those games played.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    so how many people are actually left of those who have started on ffo and then moved to ffwa only to end up on eoff? ive been active more or less on all of them. most active on ffwa of course, which i have been maintaining since 2003 or something like that. occasionally dropping in here and on ffo... which recently died, did you hear?
    Not many, unfortunately. I know BOU posted at FFO a little (he was among those who bragged that he was banned from there), and possibly RSL. I'm not sure if any of the other original FFWAers (Cid, Asorie, Jojo/TifaL) ever posted at FFO -- and they don't post here much anymore.

also sup raistlin ff7 master
    Oh man, nostalgia overload. xD Martin and I lived and breathed FF7; I was so irritated when Rob made me moderator of the FFT forum instead of FF7 (somewhat ironic considering FFT is now my favorite FF). I also fondly remember The Beer Crusade in FFWA's General Chat, which was especially ridiculous for a 12-year-old to be participating in. Those threads were the reason that I was thoroughly disappointed when I didn't actually like Guinness years later haha.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i also started on ffo