Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII is Objectively the Worst Final Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I really appreciate the architecture and design, in fact one of the areas I do feel VIII falters is that it never made full use of its towns and locations because many of them are gorgeous and if you really want to see Dollet you have to go off the path to find it.Yet the idea of trying to move the series into a more modern setting was really intriguing and the game pushed the acceptable boundaries of what a "fantasy" story could be, though I still feel VIII falls more into Science Fiction side of things. Partly because I feel Time Travel is a major style of science fiction story telling.
    Homework for Wolf Kanno: Go play Fire Emblem Awakening and Radiant Historia.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said. But, really, time travel can be just as fantasy based as science fiction based, and those two games should prove that to you. Plus, they're both generally awesome, and I'd love someone else to talk to about them.

Honestly, I really like this game. I do have a few complaints, but that doesn't stop me from ranking this game quite highly.

First, I wish Seifer was a more important character. He just doesn't seem to actually do anything, or even try to do anything, throughout the entire game. He is just Ultimecia's bodyguard. That's it. And, honestly, I've never understood this "awesome character development" that everyone talks to about him. It starts out that way, and is handled really well... Until it isn't.

Seifer breaks out of Garden and attacks President Deling. Why? Is he trying to prove himself as a SeeD? Is he doing it for Rinoa?

Then he gets brainwashed. Except, he doesn't. From then on, whenever we see him, he seems perfectly lucid and clear. He explains what he's doing (working with Matron and fulfilling his dream of being the sorceress's knight), but I never really understood why. "Yeah, the mother-character in my life told me to start a war, summon an army of monsters to the world, and resurrect a long trapped entity that had thrown the entire world into chaos and war years ago. And I'm ok with this, because, y'know romantic dream."

He just goes way too far off the deep end too quickly, with no real explanation. Is he still brainwashed? Is it a choice? And, again, he does so little in the actual story. Apart from moving the Lunatic Pandora, he does nothing but basically sit in Edea's lap the entire time, which always struck me as extremely out of character. He was all about proving himself, and being entirely self-centered ("let me get the killing blow" or "if we go take the tower, we'll be seen as heroes"). And then he spends the entire latter half of the game playing gopher for someone else, doing nothing? Not buying it.

And, wow, that was way longer than I thought it would be. I think I'll leave my other complaints for later. Um, I do still really like the game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Homework for Wolf Kanno: Go play Fire Emblem Awakening and Radiant Historia.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said. But, really, time travel can be just as fantasy based as science fiction based, and those two games should prove that to you. Plus, they're both generally awesome, and I'd love someone else to talk to about them.
    I'm well aware of the fact that Time Travel is not exclusive to the Sci-Fi genre (Hello DQVII) but you also have to admit that the Sci-Fi genre uses it far more as a plot device than fantasy. So I still feel justified saying FFVIII has more of a Sci-Fi vibe than previous installments.

I do need to finally take the plunge into Fire Emblem, one of the series besides Golden Sun my GF keeps trying to get me into. I've also heard so many good things about Radiant Historia.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dandy da oak View Post
    There is no worst Final Fantasy.

HA!
    FF XII VIII still says hi.
    Fixed.
    Figaro Castle

Uhm... Let's see...

In VIII I can create Job Classes quite well with Junction System, it's open and customizable in opposition to other systems giving you pre-made characters or straight development lines...

This is enough to let me say that this is not the worst FF to me... I have fun creating Jobs and the characters are pretty much enjoyable to me... The story is not bad but it could be better... I actually like it up to a certain point and it gives me the "fake ending-new beginning" factor when you think you have defeated the bad guy and you start to discover that nothing is as it appears... I'm referring to Edea but I find a parallel here with the likes of Magus in Chrono Trigger that is a good thing (too bad that the "post-Edea" in FFVIII is made a lot worse than the "post-Magus" in CT, but oh well...)!

What matters to me are classes and I can make them in this game, I'm happy with that!
    If you want to be a Final Fantasy hero...............

Choose your class!

No suprise from a plot sense. You mean the delivery is mediocre.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only thing Final Fantasy VIII has going for it is that it wasn't released on the Dreamcast.

(SPOILER)</>
    Figaro Castle

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Prove me wrong.
    No other FF has Triple Triad.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Prove me wrong.
    No other FF has Triple Triad.
    Yeah and Tetra Master is boring..

*grabs popcorn*

Quote Originally Posted by Greatermaximus View Post
    No suprise from a plot sense. You mean the delivery is mediocre.
    Yes, the idea was not bad! It's not developed equally well though...
    If you want to be a Final Fantasy hero...............

Choose your class!

Prove me wrong.
    No problem (kind of). Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Have you played it? While technically a spin-off it was still made by Square and really not very well, as much as I enjoyed the rest of the series and many other of their games, they failed with this one (in my opinion). Also, a little word to the wise, Final Fantasy 8 being the worst is what we like to call an "opinion" and as "opinions" are based on thoughts and feelings, cannot be proven, nor disproven. You can prove a fact or disprove some fiction, but you can never prove nor disprove opinion, but sometimes, you can change them. (Only saying this because I just don't like how its stated to prove it. :P)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Startokala View Post
    Prove me wrong.
    No problem (kind of). Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Have you played it? While technically a spin-off it was still made by Square and really not very well, as much as I enjoyed the rest of the series and many other of their games, they failed with this one (in my opinion). Also, a little word to the wise, Final Fantasy 8 being the worst is what we like to call an "opinion" and as "opinions" are based on thoughts and feelings, cannot be proven, nor disproven. You can prove a fact or disprove some fiction, but you can never prove nor disprove opinion, but sometimes, you can change them. (Only saying this because I just don't like how its stated to prove it. :P)
    FFMQ IS NOT worse than FF8. Keep that drivel out of here!
    Figaro Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Startokala View Post
    Also, a little word to the wise, Final Fantasy 8 being the worst is what we like to call an "opinion" and as "opinions" are based on thoughts and feelings, cannot be proven, nor disproven. You can prove a fact or disprove some fiction, but you can never prove nor disprove opinion, but sometimes, you can change them. (Only saying this because I just don't like how its stated to prove it. :P)
    Well said. Final Fantasy 8 sucking is only a opinion and not fact. Everybody's least favorite Final Fantasy is a personal opinion and just that. Same as favorite.

FF8 has good graphics, hardly any glitches, okay enough story that holds some ground, nice character development, not perfect but like the story it holds up, good music, and while a complex battle system it could be much worse. So is FF 8 the worst Final Fantasy ? No. Because it holds up as a video game.

FF 2 is most likely a contender for the worst. But again, opinions.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Well said. Final Fantasy 8 sucking is only a fact and not opinion.
    Fixed.
    Figaro Castle

In the grand scheme of things, Final Fantasies VII through IX were relatively the same in quality. Each of them had similar flaws (disjointed, rambling, ambiguous plots being #1 for me) and each had its own strengths.

I don't consider VIII to be any worse than the rest. I have a certain fondness for it like all of the others. Since the OP doesn't even try to make a case that it's objectively worse, I think we can discard that whole notion.

Blog Entries

Leave my FF8 alone. *Snuggles it*