Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII is Objectively the Worst Final Fantasy

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You're wrong because junctioning is fun and the battle system is responsive!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    You're wrong because junctioning is fun!
    I like Junctioning yes and the Draw system. Imo the haters just didn't know how to use it right.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    You're wrong because junctioning is fun!
    I like Junctioning yes and the Draw system. Imo the haters just didn't know how to use it right.
    I use the Junctioning system just fine. In fact one of my bigger problems with the game is that it is too easy for such an exploitable system.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know it's easy to exploit the Junction system, but I never did. I just wait until I run into draw points or enemies with the spells instead of using all of the tricks like Card Mod and what have you. It's more fun for me that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post

I use the Junctioning system just fine. In fact one of my bigger problems with the game is that it is too easy for such an exploitable system.

imo it makes it entertaining. Power-housing early bosses is hilarious.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

I actually liked the environment and ambience of Final Fantasy VIII. It felt similar to VII, in that it felt modern and present day. I am also not that interested in RPG elements as I am in reading and interacting with a story I find engaging, so the whole junctioning system didn't really miff me. I never pay attention to skill and statistic development. All I know is that 'higher' is better. So I guess I liked the way the story developed, the characters and the music.

There is no point in trying to convince someone who has already took a dislike to it. What is the point in making considerable sustained effort, in order to force yourself to like something? We do this when we are 'working' so why should we do this when we are looking for fun? Like what you like, dislike what you dislike. It doesn't matter! =D

The premises are:

1. There are varying levels of quality in the FF series, i.e., they are not all the same.
    2. Quality is subjective in nature (or, one man's trash is another man's treasure).
    3. Subjectivity and Objectivity are mutually exclusive.
    Therefore,
    4. There is no basis for defining a level of quality that can be universally accepted as the "Best" or "Worst."

That is how you construct a proof.

Now, here's my opinion.

8 is not the worst at everything. As trite and sloppy and dimwitted as the story tends to be, it is a journey that gets interesting if ONLY because the world is so lovingly crafted. Not just the looks! But the people, the places, the things. They all have a clear mark of craftsmanship, and range (very unusually for the series) from contemporary to a kind of bizarre mystic/sci-fi cocktail.

The characters, while one-dimensional doorknobs, are at least realistic-looking. You can connect with them on a subconscious level that was impossible in any previous FF. The music is excellent, and comic relief is at a pithy, self-aware level that has never been equalled. The gameplay is fun. It's fun! Limit Breaks that let you PARTICIPATE in the fighting! Wowzers!

And as ham handed as the love story is, can you name another FF that did it better? 9 comes close, 10 ekes it out by a fair margin, perhaps, 7's was a little weird for me, but (and I think I'm tipping my hand here), 2's fails in THE most spectacular way possible.

I may as well stop beating round the bush:

No, 8 is by no means the worst. Not even close. If you were sufficiently bored, you'd play it. 13 also is not the worst, though I'll say I think it's close. The sheer look and playability of the game (repetitive though it may be) put it just a notch above 2 in my book.

Final Fantasy 2 is a stinking, smoldering turd. It's ugly, slow, frustrating, sounds inferior to the first game, and has the mother of all bad RPG stories. I've played it through to the end, and it's just so devoid of the drama it pretends to have that it isn't even worth laughing at. None of the characters is the least bit multi-faceted and none of the events seem to really mean anything to them. The writing is just obligatory and dull. Trope after anvilicious trope. If this thing was supposed to be Star Wars in a fantasy setting, it failed miserably. At no time are we given more than the most perfunctory of glances into the 3 mains' inner lives. The supporting cast is forgettable, and the villain is of the "Wimpy McDo-Nothing" variety. By the time he shows up (Palamecia), you're like, "Oh, yeah, that guy...?" The controls are stiff, the menu is clunky, the inventory system is a bad practical joke on the player ("Hey Hiryu! Would you mind terribly getting the HELL out of my bag???"), and to top it all off, it had the first appearance of a wangsty character, Prince Gordon. I kill him and leave him dead whenever I find it in my heart to play this game, a feat of enormous generosity on my part, in the rare occurrences where I really am just plain obsessed with playing through the first 6 in order.

Being perfectly honest, my oPINion is that 2 is rock bottom until they make a main-series game out of "stone knives and bearskins."

Even if you hate 13 (and I don't think you'd be wrong to), 2 just sucks in a way that 13 can only dream about.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I love how this thread is still going on, and people are taking it SRS BSNSS when it was just one of many fad threads, and I made it to troll Shorty pretty much.

Never change, EoFF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Lmao Good on you, b00bs.

I've never played 2, so I'll stick with my "13 sucks, but 13-2 literally pissed me off a lot."

I just re-discovered that I can play my PS1 games on PS3 (yeah. 4 months after I bought and downloaded 9 on PSN. dee-di-dee), so I'm once again starting 8. I find the beginning like up until you go hi-jack the train to be so freaking tedious.

Also, GF boosting. It makes my finger hurt. And then I get going really really fast and up to like 130, then "X" pops up before I can stop myself and BAM! .... Right back to 75. That makes me mad. All that work for -nothing-.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I love how this thread is still going on, and people are taking it SRS BSNSS when it was just one of many fad threads, and I made it to troll Shorty pretty much.

Never change, EoFF.
    The magic of fora. A three word sarcasm post becomes a hotly debated topic.

BTW, the worst Final Fantasy is actually Legend of Dragoon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post

Never change, EoFF.
    The magic of fora. A three word sarcasm post becomes a hotly debated topic.

BTW, the worst Final Fantasy is actually Legend of Dragoon.
    Damnit. I -nearly- said that! I swear I was thinking it in my head right before I posted last.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

My love for games fluctuates some, but I love this game. smurf the haters.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    My love for games fluctuates some, but I love this game. smurf the haters.
    Just have to say that your banner suits this comment very well.

Never change, EoFF.
    Whenever you say that something well known sucks you're bound to get people to take it seriously. Hence why going around random chat sites and saying that Mario sucks is one of my favorite internet hobbies.

Whenever you say that something well known sucks you're bound to get people to take it seriously. Hence why going around random chat sites and saying that Mario sucks is one of my favorite internet hobbies.
    But Mario does suck.
    [You spit on mercy? Then you will have none! You want carnage?!]

[Garrosh will get more blood than EVER he bargained for!]

Red Exclamation Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Synoptikal View Post
    But Mario does suck.
    I have agree with you and half don't. I do feel like the original's are overrated because they're just the same each time. But Paper Mario and Mario Galaxy are quite awesome.