Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, let's see if this get's me any hate...

Default Well, let's see if this get's me any hate...

Having just beaten the game for the first time in a few years, there is something odd about the end. Mind you, I find Melodies of Life to be a beautiful and wonderful song, but thinking on it it's bizarre that's the song they use at the end of the game. BoB, you may want to stop reading here for purposes of your current play through.

Anyway, Melodies of Life is a song whose lyrical content doesn't really match up with the reunion of Garnet and Zidane. The song is clearly a woman singing about a cherished, yet lost, love. It's about looking back through her memories and remembering the man she loved, and may still love, fondly, even if they are not together now. Why they aren't isn't really important.

This does not quite match up with Zidane and Garnet. Am I off here?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never viewed the song as some love ballad between Zidane and Garnet, I always assumed it was a song for the FF fans themselves. A kind of farewell song since FFIX was the end of Square's successful era on the PS1 and moving forward to the PS2 era.

I can see that, though part of my mind is still bothered by the the scene now, even if I still like it on a whole.

Articles
    Blog Entries

While it's a lovely song, it has indeed always bothered me on how ill-suited it was. In fact, I wasn't a huge fan of IX's ending as a whole in regards to Zidane and Garnet meeting back together. I mean, it's cute and stuff but I would prefer something a little more poignant.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Doesn't Zidane at one point say something like, I had to live, so I sang your song?

It's really Garnet's song: a version of it plays during the opening sequence of the game. Garnet's been damaged, Zidane helps her heal, helps her remember without hurting.

I thought the song was a brilliant use of motif; it shows up all over the place during the game in different ways.

It's not a love song in the typical sense. It doesn't express the love between the two characters. Instead, it's a symbol of their love, because it is emblematic of Garnet's suffering which then recalls Zidane's support and also Garnet's growth.

When you add in the way it also plays as a recap to both FFIX (this is a game not just about getting to the end, but the process of getting there in the first place, which all games should be) and as WK said, a send-off to an the good ol' days of Final Fantasy, then it really becomes quite brilliant. Also, the English lyrics fudge it a bit. The original, I think, is more fitting.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Good thing I never pay attention to lyrics.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I payed attention to the lyrics and it felt like a random "love" song was there just for the feeling.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblet View Post
    I payed attention to the lyrics and it felt like a random "love" song was there just for the feeling.
    But it's not. Read my post. lol

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's still better that Eyes on You.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Well it's an amazing song, so of course it's better then Eyes on You.

(Unrelated note, for years I thought that Eyes on You was the song that played during the Parade during the assassinationa attempt. )

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Well it's an amazing song, so of course it's better then Eyes on You.

(Unrelated note, for years I thought that Eyes on You was the song that played during the Parade during the assassinationa attempt. )
    LOL
    "Headstrong and skimpy! I like it!"-Zidane when fighting against Tifa in Dissidia.

I did laugh a little at your sig at least. I don't much about the rest of thread. I obviously looks at the games message/essence the most. Or I think I do.

Although it's someone else's we try to satisfy ourself because of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Eh, it's just like every other vocal theme song in the series. The never really fit the game's storyline...they just sort of fit the feel of the scene they're played during. "Melodies of Life" is guilty of this, but it certainly has lyrics that fit it's game better than "Kiss Me Goodbye" or "My Hands" did.

The only exception is "Eyes on Me" from Final Fantasy VIII. It was tailored specifically for that game and fits the storyline perfectly.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

I thought "Melodies of Life" was an ode to the journey all of them went on together? I never saw it as a theme specifically made for Garnet and Zidane.

As an ode to their journey it doesn't really make much sense either. They are all still clearly in touch and friends at the end, and aside from Spoilered for BoB's sakeVivi, there really isn't any reminiscing of something lost.

I think Wolf had the intent of the song down, even if I still find it a bad choice for that scene due to the stark contrast of lyrical meanings and what you are watching on screen.