Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favourite non-English language films

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

God Krissy, thank you! I spent ages trying to google Chocolate and only got Chocolat.

I've seen lots of great films, old and new-ish. Here's a sampling of some that I can remember. I won't include anime because there's so much good stuff out there that it'd make this list quite lengthy.

- Battleship Potemkin - A cinematic masterpiece definitely worth the watch for any film buff or anyone interested in films in general. The first (or at the very least first effective) use of montage. The Odessa stairs sequence is still thrilling in this day and age.

- The Bicycle Thief - I love the interaction between the father and the son, and the story's such a heartbreaking journey where we learn so much about these characters, which is why the events turn out having such a bif effect on us when we see the lengths the father's going through for his son's sake.

- City of God - An interesting, one could almost say hip depiction of Brazil's slums told in a very entertaining yet somewhat gritty way. The characters are memorable, the cinematography is exquisite, and the story has some nice sequences with interesting dialogue.

- Infernal Affairs - The film The Departed is based on, more or less. In some ways it's still superior to Scorcese's version; I just love the character interaction, the twists and turns and the way it's shot. Lots of cool stuff going on.

- Pan's Labyrinth - This is one of those great dark fantasy films. Such distinctive look, the breathtakingly beautiful and complex music score by Javier Navarrete, fine performances and many memorable sequences which all serve what matters the most: the bittersweet story.

- Persepolis - An interesting, surprisingly comical yet intelligent look at the Iranian revolution and its effect on the main character while still having darker elements. It's a pretty balanced coming of age film with a clear story arc, and the animation will linger in your mind after you've watched it.

- Tuntematon Sotilas (The Unknown Soldier) (1955 version) - This is one of THE Finnish films which most foreigners likely won't ever watch, but its historic signifance to us Finns is unmistakable. It and the novel that spawned it were much needed after WW2, its sayings, scenes and characters live on in everyday Finnish life, and even if we leave all of that out, it's still a very interesting look at people from different areas in Finland growing into a cohesive military unit and winning victories and ultimately suffering losses in the war against Soviets. You won't understand a Finn until you've seen this film; it and the novel have shaped the nation, and it's still an enjoyable film to watch with lots of memorable performances from A list Finnish actors of the time.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec
    Utterly delightful Luc Besson film, really surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and hope for a sequel since it's based on a series of old French comics.

The Raid
    Best martial arts film since Ong-bak, and honestly, I thought it was overall actually a better film, though it's hard to beat some of Ong-bak's sheer insane stunts. Really looking forwards to the sequel that's being shot right now.

Hard Boiled
    Probably the definitive John Woo film, this is what every gunfight-laden action movie ever made wishes it was, though his earlier film The Killer gives it a damn good run.

The Young Master
    Not the most popular of Jackie Chan's HK movies, but this is the one that always sticks with me, from the impressive Lion Dance opening, to the climactic 15 minute long fight. Other nearly-rans are Drunken Master 2, Police Story, Project A, and Armour of God.

Delicatessen
    For a film about cannibalism in post-apocalyptic France, Delicatessen is utterly hilarious, but also has some truly excellent cinematography, as one might expect from Darius Khondji along with Jean-Pierre Jeunet's directorial vision

Nothing else is immediately springing to mind, but I'm sure I'll think of at least three more when I try to go to sleep tonight!
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Does Bon Cop Bad Cop count? It's in both English and French.

I also enjoyed Oles Yanchuk's Neskorenyy (in Ukrainian)

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Does Bon Cop Bad Cop count? It's in both English and French.
    So hilarious~

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    House/Hausu is utterly demented, I love it.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Raid was aight. Definitely wrong to say it's the best since Ong-Bak. Hells no. I need to see this Delicatessen movie.

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

If you're after demented, The Happiness of the Katakuri's is pretty well up there, and I'd probably toss in The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, which is less insane than scarily accurate.

Ong-Bak had awesome fight scenes, no doubting it, but the rest of the film was balls, especially that ending. The Raid's fight scenes weren't as good (though still very, very good), but the rest of the film was a whole lot better than Ong-Bak, hence me saying it's better =P
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh Takeshi Miike...that reminds me of another one of my favorites, Ichi the Killer.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh man, I heard that was a great film!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark View Post
    Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec
    Utterly delightful Luc Besson film, really surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and hope for a sequel since it's based on a series of old French comics.
    holy crap there's a movie!?

Articles
    Blog Entries

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Holy balls, I've actually seen that one.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Do movies that were made in a non-English-language country but then dubbed into English count?

Because I've seen some great cartoons, like Katy the Caterpillar and Peter No-Tail.