Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah but this time it was in space.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I played this series for the first time when Mass Effect 3 was the free game of the month on Playstation Plus and I absolutely LOVED it. Once I finished it I bought Mass Effect, then Mass Effect 2 and now I'm on my second Mass Effect 3 play through and honestly the ME series is now one of my favourites. Getting to play through 3 games where your choices in one can drastically effect the others is something more games should be doing.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    ~Super Unpopular Opinion Time~

(SPOILER)Mass Effect got so popular because girls love the whole romance sideplot thing and because guys love the waifus. It's popular in the same way that movies and TV shows are popular - because of the characters. No one plays Mass Effect for the gameplay. Well, people do, but they don't get super into it.
    Pft please I don't love it for the romance sideplot. That's so... sexist to say and from YOU pike, really? No. Most my friends I made through ME that were females loved it because it was one of the only games you can find that you have a nonsexualized female protagonist. How many games can you find an actual female protagonist that isn't somehow scantly clad at least? Now in the Elder scrolls games, yeah you can make your own character but it's more like a "faceless" avatar. ME put in an attitude, an actual character even though you can still customize them and their dialog.

What makes Mass Effect great, and what many other games haven't done, is the carried over story lines. Of course they didn't do it perfectly by the end but they did it. How many other games have you come across that by the choices you made in the previous game affect the newer game? Not many at all. Bioware is one of the only ones to do such a thing. So while it wasn't the most perfect game, you could create a character and have choices and decisions affect various games. You created a story for you character. YOU were the one in more control of your story. It's not perfect but it deserves respect for starting something that could affect the rest of gaming.

If other gaming companies took the idea for flags to continue over in series, people would be more attached and more inclined to follow a series. Not only does it provide customer loyalty but it cause customer replay-ability. With not one game but all of them over various times. You want someone to really love a series? Get them to want to replay it! Example, The final fantasy latest entries. With XIII-2 they tried to add in different endings so you'd play it multiple times. And Lightning Returns? they said you'll have to play it more than once to get all the scenes. You want people to want to replay something. Mass Effect does it well by giving you the options that affect the series.

So xP all you haters.