Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One week's worth of groceries

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I imagine it's because they want to eat meat but don't want it to result in the death of animals.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I don't understand vegetarians and vegans who eat fake meat. What's the point of eating fake meat if you don't want to eat meat? Tofu itself, I can understand, as tofu is yummy. But tofurky? Come on.
    -Food and eating have social and celebratory components to their consumption, and faux meat products allow some level of inclusiveness. It's nice to sometimes go to an event such as a picnic, barbeque, or party, and be able to eat something visually similar to everyone else (a hot dog, for example), without being asked why you're not eating "normal" food, and having to explain the concept of veganism to someone for the umpteenth time when all you wanted to do was eat your lunch.

-Tofurky products are convenient. I can easily pick them up when grocery shopping or don't feel like cooking from scratch, but more importantly, my in-laws can easily identify and pick them up if they are organizing an event, which cannot be said for some of the many many other things I could also eat.

-I don't eat a lot of faux meat, because it's much more expensive than tofu, tempeh, beans and lentils (but still cheaper than quality meat), and I was not a particular fan of meat to begin with. Some faux products taste terrible - but some of them are delicious, with a taste and texture quite close to what it is supposed to emulate (Smart Bacon, Tofurky Kielbasa sausages, Daiya Mozzarella). For a hardcore animal-product fan who is looking to eliminate meat from their diet (whether for animal-rights, environmental, budget or health reasons - not all veg*ans hate meat), these products can be a godsend in adjusting their palate and weaning themselves off of the real thing. I imagine also that the occasional vego would try this stuff because they've forgotten what the real thing is like and wants to remember what the fuss was about.

PS - I don't like to eat very much at one time. A Tofurky sausage contains almost four servings worth of protein, so I'll sometimes eat half a sausage rather than try to eat a cupful of beans, for example.
    Last edited by Calliope; 05-10-2013 at 06:47 PM.

The Joker's Pilot Setzer the Gambler's Avatar

ichigo

Hmmm...
    *opens fridge*
    Bread
    Cheese slices
    Butter.

*feels like a Sims*

I have to restock :/

"If I could have turned back time,
    Maybe we could have had champagne or wine..."
    -Setzer, Dreams of Darryl fanfiction-

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Here's this week's grocery haul.

This is supplemented by the steak/chicken breast/shrimp/sausages and other protein we have in our freezer, and Italian meats like salami and cheeses that we always have on hand.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Between the brussels sprouts and the asparagus, Miriel has got great taste in veggies.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Please make me dinner when I am in your direction ;_;

I have this book out from the library and it is only fueling my fascination:

What-I-Eat-9780984074402.jpg

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Between the brussels sprouts and the asparagus, Miriel has got great taste in veggies.
    Shame she had to ruin the picture with bread.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    For a hardcore animal-product fan who is looking to eliminate meat from their diet (whether for animal-rights, environmental, budget or health reasons - not all veg*ans hate meat), these products can be a godsend in adjusting their palate and weaning themselves off of the real thing. I imagine also that the occasional vego would try this stuff because they've forgotten what the real thing is like and wants to remember what the fuss was about.
    This was exactly the case for me when I went vegetarian. If you can accept that there will be a difference in the faux meat, it doesn't taste that different when you're eating it. A boca burger slathered with cheese (I wasn't 100% vegetarian, okay) sauteed onions and mushrooms, avocado, tomato, seasonings and condiments of your choice tastes almost just like the real thing. There were times when I had been vegetarian for months and I would get the worst craving for a cheeseburger. It's helpful to have that illusion to keep yourself in line with the diet you've selected. Boca beef in your burrito or fajitas can add just that little extra amount to make you feel a little more full and satisfied. Same for faux sausages in the morning with your waffles or whatever. You get used to it.

I've been toying with the idea of going veg again but it's so hard once you go back to meat ;________________________;

When I get moulah I'll post my picture. Being out of a job for five weeks has left me poor as trout and my mommy has to take care of me.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is pretty interesting. If I can remember to take a photo this Sunday, I will.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

we went shopping

asparagus
    cabbage
    red onions
    two bags of frozen broccoli florets
    four zucchini
    four yellow summer squash
    two boxes of strawberries
    two boxes of blackberries
    coffee
    babybel cheese

not pictured that I would have bought if I didn't already have it:
    chicken and/or salmon
    sweet potatoes
    dubliner cheese
    whipped cream

This is just my stuff for the week. My family buys close to ten times this amount from Costco, Safeway and farmer's markets around here for their meals. I just had to throw out armloads of vegetables from the fridge they didn't use that had gone bad from last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Shame she had to ruin the picture with bread.
    The bread was for my manwiches.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm not even vegetarian (mostly because I tried it once and it was more obnoxious to plan than I'd anticipated) but I love stuff like boca burgers, especially the chicken flavored kind. Make a burger with one of those bad boys and you can hardly tell the difference.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    30g of protein per link and its hella cheap.
    *high-five*

Although, my inner librarian is twitching. Why do you need three cartons of eggs? Why isn't everything neatly organized?
    i figured you'd notice those poor grapes getting squished first! things stay organized for a day or so until we have guests over who completely ruin the cold food feng shui we have happening. having three cartons of eggs is what happens when you don't properly communicate what you plan on knocking off of the grocery list! we can realistically consolidate them down to one carton at this point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    30g of protein per link and its hella cheap.
    Don't care how many grams of protein are in it, if that protein didn't come from an animal it is inferior.
    i eat fish and poultry, i won't disagree with that. but i'll be damned if there aren't some creatively tasty ways to get your necessary intake!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs
    But tofurky? Come on.
    much lighter on the stomach and quite frankly tastes better. especially with pasta!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I shop on a daily basis so this would be impossible for me to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I don't understand vegetarians and vegans who eat fake meat. What's the point of eating fake meat if you don't want to eat meat? Tofu itself, I can understand, as tofu is yummy. But tofurky? Come on.
    Most vegetarians do not follow a veggie diet because they didn't like the taste of meat beforehand. The reasons for going vegetarian are WAY to many to mention here. I'll just leave it at the environment, moral/ethical reasons, for the sake of the animals and personal/public health.