Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Star Trek into Darkness

Star Trek: Into Darkness - A Numbered Review -

1.) Thank goodness this was the last "Jar Jar" Abrams film (He did LOST, an epic failure of less-than-mediocrity TV show in my opinion)

2.) I saw this in 3D-IMAX, thought it okay. I love 3D but the Film's use of it seemed not to execute it effectively and utilize it as much as it should or try to grab your interest as it should in key pivotal moments.

3.) All of Bones aka Dr. Lenard McCoy lines were mostly shoved into one liners during the action or in-action

4.) The balance of the writing between characters were broken. The one campy thing I will miss from the ST Original is the equal written parts between each and every single character.

5.) Loved most of the actors and the new Scotty bugs me, but Scotty is a hard to imitate character to most I find. Loved 'new' Scotty none the less.

6.) The new "Alternate Timeline" has to do with time-compression, which I loathe cause it fails in this film epically because of the re-use of older plot material in an uninspired way, that and I have watched better written material in the TV series of STO, STA, TNG, Voyager, DSP9, & Enterprise. Anything from the entire star trek old universe out did this new film in writing.

7.) Music was pretty good, not amazing but definitely a good additive on the standard film experience.

8.) the effects seemed lost in translation on the Star Trek universe, but are enjoyable none the less

My Advice:

Wait until this hits your local rental store & Stay Far Far Away from (JJ) "Jar-Jar" Abrams. Or if must see it; Do enjoy it in the Standard 2D version.

5.5 out of 10 Overall-Rating

If there is anything that hindered me liking this more it was indeed the scripts written for this Star Trek and the first one by Jar Jar Abrams.
    Last edited by HasteInTime; 05-21-2013 at 05:58 AM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Jar Jar Abrams? Don't make me laugh. More like 'resurrected our franchise' Abrams. And you do realise he doesn't have a screenplay credit on this film or the last one?

And the last two films have been streets ahead of Voyager/Enterprise
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Jar Jar Abrams? Don't make me laugh. More like 'resurrected our franchise' Abrams. And you do realise he doesn't have a screenplay credit on this film or the last one?

And the last two films have been streets ahead of Voyager/Enterprise
    Also this isn't Abrams' last film. It's not 100% clear whether he will continue to direct films (although Paramount has said it's possible) but he'll at least continue to be producer.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I saw it on Thursday and thought it was fantastic. One of the best movies I've seen in a theater in a long time.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I LOVED IT

I love Star Trek, like really you guys Star Trek has been important to me all my life and this movie just nailed it. 10/10 maximum feels.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I honestly can't be assed to go back and read everything, but given that Abrams is directing Star Wars Episode VII, how is this his last film.

Anyway, saw it. Loved it.

I meant it isn't his last Star Trek film.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

gotta just say that the sound and soundtrack for both star trek movies so far has been excellent

Yeah, I'm hoping for a release of the complete soundtrack soon. At least the single-disc version is out.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

ITT some people seem to have trouble accepting that the Federation is not a massive military outfit bristling with guns.

This apparently will come as a shock to those people but the entire plot of the movie (SPOILER)revolves around the precise smurfing fact that Earth was in no way prepared for a war and Admiral Marcus' whole plan was to get Earth ready for the war he believed was coming. It's really not some huge plot hole that Aaron and Vivi are refusing to accept when the whole plot is about that exact issue.

Now, you want to talk plot holes, how about the fact that Khan and his crew were engineered in apparently the mid-1950s. I can't stop being annoyed about that JUST SAY HE WAS ASLEEP FOR 200 YEARS INSTEAD OF 300 JEEZ!

And if you want to talk about something that really, truly does annoy me, the fact they spelt Qo'noS as Kronos rather than Qo'noS was utterly unacceptable. I don't care if I'm the person the Onion is mocking.

Overall though the movie was pretty amazing. I think the first one is better, and funnily the thing everyone is praising this for - as a non-stop action romp - is my biggest issue (aside from the Qo'noS debacle) because I really wanted more meat to the thing and it could definitely have stood to have about a half-hour of diplomacy and expository debates and stuff. It's not really a sci-fi movie at all, it's an action movie like Die Hard or something that happens to be in a sci-fi setting. And that's fine and I love it! It's one of the best action movies I've ever seen, in fact, and will watch many more times. But it's not quite what one of the most important sci-fi franchises in history should be, imo.

Still 8/10, very solid. 5/10 if we're counting the 1950s/Qo'noS issues.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Saw it last night, it was enjoyable. Boyfriend liked it, so that's what matters

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

MILF sums up my opinions pretty accurately. Still a great film, and a respectable re-boot.