FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Boco Great old games that people don't talk about very often

I'm gonna start with this right here:

This was a godly little platformer game by Capcom that has more in common with things like Mega Man than you'd originally think. Mickey eventually gets a solid arsenal of different costumes and powerups in order to work his way through some pretty imaginative levels and boss fights. This was really an underplayed gem of a game and I highly recommend it for any oldschool platforming fan.

What are some other classic games that you don't hear people talk about very often?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't really have any games to add to the list. I just wanted to say that Magical Quest was one of my favorite games as a kid. I was saddened last year to pop it into a SNES for the first time in a long time only to find that it no longer works.

The only other game I can think of off the top of my head is Final Lap Twin for the TurboGrafx. I'm not sure if it is actually a good game, but I remember sinking hours into that racing/rpg hybrid when I was a kid. I should play it again to see if it is actually as fun as I remember.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I don't really have any games to add to the list. I just wanted to say that Magical Quest was one of my favorite games as a kid. I was saddened last year to pop it into a SNES for the first time in a long time only to find that it no longer works.
    I got the GBA port

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Pike may appreciate this as a strategy fan:

It was a great strategy game for the NES especially when playing with someone. The ending was also really amusing when you played as the South and won the Civil War.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Game was hella sweet. Shame not many people gave it a go.

I loved this game as a kid, was a nice easy going open-world adventure with cute characters. It's Ufouria for the original Nintendo.

My friend and I would spend quite a bit on this game, it's called General Chaos for the Mega Drive.

Rock n' Roll racing was pretty boss for the Super Nintendo, and so was...

Biker Mice from Mars for the Super Nintendo! A lot of fun.

This was a nice adventure/RPG game for the N64, and it was quite quirky for my very-western young mind at the time, haha. It's Mystical Ninja starring Goemon for the Nintendo 64.

Mickey Mania was also a really good Mickey Mouse game, for the Super Nintendo. Had some great music and interesting levels spanning across all the stuff that Mickey used to be involved in (e.g. Steamboat Willy, Jack and the Bean Stalk, etc.).

This was a pretty awesome beat-em' up game for the Super Nintendo, as was...

Battletoads and Double Dragon for the Super Nintendo! Such a great game worthy of many hours of play time, imo.

Tiny Toon Adventures Sports Challenge was actually a really fun game, especially multiplayer! The other Tiny Toon Adventures game was pretty good too, both for Super Nintendo.

Riven for PC has a special place in my heart, I'm still waiting for a realRiven to come out preferably with Occulus Rift! However, check out the entire Myst series as it is quite incredible - a huge and deep lore, great story archs, and really amazing exploration and atmosphere.

Speaking of favourite adventure games for the PC, check out Grim Fandango! It's incredible!

I love the Wonderboy series, more specifically Wonderboy in Monster Land! It's a side-scroller pseudo-RPG for the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis).

Well that's it for now, maybe I'll add more later! Hope you enjoyed my stroll through nostalgia-lane.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mickey Mania was a lot of fun; I don't think it was on the same level as the Magical Quest games and the controls were kind of floaty but it was fun nonetheless and had some nice music.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Mickey Mania was a lot of fun; I don't think it was on the same level as the Magical Quest games and the controls were kind of floaty but it was fun nonetheless and had some nice music.
    Yes, very true. There's also:
    Castle of Illusion which I really enjoyed when I was young, and they happen to be remaking.

The Toejam and Earl games for the Mega Drive (Genesis) were quite fun! I'm not sure which one I enjoy more. I just saw that there was a third one, but it doesn't really look good - especially not compared to the first and second!

Anyone ever play Alfred Chicken for Super Nintendo? That was pretty cool! At least from what I can remember.

A fairly dated PC adventure game, but it was quite good back then! It's called Atlantis: The Lost Tales.
    Last edited by Rostum; 05-13-2013 at 11:22 AM.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    Yes, very true. There's also:
    Castle of Illusion which I really enjoyed when I was young, and they happen to be remaking.
    They're remaking it!?

smurf YES

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    Speaking of favourite adventure games for the PC, check out Grim Fandango! It's incredible!
    Holy trout, Grim Fandango is so awesome! Nice to see someone else who appreciates it

I really like the old King's Quest games and Castle of the Winds. Hours of my childhood wasted on Castle of the Winds trying to slay those smurfing manticores.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You took me way back on those Tiny Toon games.

As for me, I can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned here already except for this.

Never beat it as a child. Might see if I can buy another copy and beat it this time around

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Another fun little Capcom gem! You feed cute little animals candy and then they'll somehow fuse with you to assist in each separate dream. House of Toys is/was oppressively difficult. What warped smurfing kid that Nemo dreamt about has that many spikes attached to his legos, more importantly?

Not a very memorable cartoon, but a hell of an action-platforming ride. Think Mega Man with a few improvements! There's four levels to choose from, where defeating the boss gets another member of your crew back. You can switch between them on the fly, each with different attacks and special abilities (wall jumping, flight, super-death laser).

I liked this when I was nine but the novelty of Michael Jordan throwing explosive basketballs to save Chicago is wasted on this generation.

UN Squadron! A friend of mine got this with his SNES instead of Super Mario World but the two-player mode on this was a hell of a lot more fun by a long shot. Side-scrollin' shoot-em-up fun. We never picked the blonde guy though, he was lame.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

GUYS

guys

UNIRACERS

I can praise this game ALL DAY for real I think this was one of the best racing games ever made. It required a lot of skill and practice.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was literally going to post General Chaos!!! Rostum you pwned the crap out of this thread, keep going!

I also think sharky and chionos' top 75 list had a couple good ones I don't hear about that often anymore, like Wario Land.