Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Default Eyes on Final Fantasy Soundtracks - Battle Themes

It's May! Yes nearly half the year has flown, or maybe crawled, by already. Nobuo Uematsu has celebrated his birthday. Easter has come and gone and the nights are getting brighter and shorter. If you're in Ireland like me those nights are occasionally getting drier and warmer too... However we're not out of the woods yet and there's still some chugging along to do before summer is truly upon us. Battle on my friends!

~*~
    - May 2013 -
    swish-l-small.gif Battle Themes swish-r-small.gif

So first off, "where was April's edition?" I hear one person in the audience cry! Oh wait, that was just my inner demons berating me. I'm sorry but life's been so busy and I've had a serious case of writers block trying to get this edition together so it didn't sound like a bunch of pointless ramble - or well, anymore than it usually does anyway!

Battle themes, with the exception of the World Map Themes (RIP), are arguably the staple track of a Final Fantasy game. Players will spend a heck of a lot of time listening to them. At times when precariously trying to find their way back to a save point or the world map to use a Tent, the beginning of a battle theme might imbue despair. At others it reeks of excitement when you've finally got that badass new spell or weapon that you're eager to kick pixelated or polygonal ass with. So whether you're kicking Malboro rear or cursing that Omega Weapon is using ATB hax, you've probably heard these themes along the way!

Normally in this series I'd pick a hand full of tracks to go through, but, as with random battles in Final Fantasy - you're in this one for the long haul. You better believe that, like Ruby Weapon, I've tentacled off your escape so it's either victory or death! I hope you brought some Phoenix Downs along! We're about to go on a journey of what I'm henceforth calling "Uematsu's fetish for repetition!"

Final Fantasy - Battle Scene

Yup, I've given you this in it's 8-bit glory. It's only right that we listen to where it all began. Notice the intro in the first 3 seconds. Remember that - you'll be hearing it a lot! Also there's a very simple beat that starts around 0:23 during the main melody - this will come up again too! That's all? Nah! Notice the 2 distinct melodies, the one that ends at 0:22 followed by the one that starts at 0:23 to loop back to the original at 0:44. These 3 things will featured for many, many, many themes to come. (Okay, perhaps that 3rd maybe was a little excessive).

Anyway considering the limited audio functionality available on the NES this is still a rather catchy theme. Combining two distinct, but similar, melodies together along with a simple beat and boom you've instantly got something you're tapping your foot along too. So much so they even jazzed it up a bit for the remasters. Heck even if you've never played the original before you can probably already visualize a battle in your head along to this theme.

Final Fantasy II - Battle Scene 1

No, that's not your computer BSoD'ing. Yes, games really did have such creative lead in screens back in the day. The first 3 seconds feature the classic intro. I'm sure when FFI players first booted this up and heard this they might've thought that a musical travesty had occurred and Square was re-using music. Cue 0:04 -- any doubts squashed. Although that segment up until 0:24 doesn't sound very different. I guess Uematsu realised this as from 0:25 onward things really get mixed up with some full on synth and spirals before looping us all the way full circle by 0:42.

Whereas FFI's theme seemed more jazzy when re-performed they certainly went more synthesized gothic orchestra with FFII's. It's so dramatic - in fact I feel ready to take on the world just by listening to it. Come at me bro!

Final Fantasy III - Battle 1

The 3 second intro is still there! I told you it'd become familiar -- however what's not familiar is the electronic drum shortly after. This theme is certainly a break away from the previous two. The two melodies combined last a whopping 1:26 before the loop begins. Although I think this theme suffers from EoFF's Final Fantasy IX Syndrome™ in that it seems just a tad too complex for the limited 4 channel audio of the NES. It certainly shows ambition though but, for my taste at least, it sounds a bit too harsh and mashed together. Maybe you think differently?

Final Fantasy III has also benefited from the remaking treatment and thanks to the DS's audio capabilities we get to have a better idea of what Uematsu envisioned way back when. It sounds quintessentially Final Fantasy. (NOTE that the electronic drum smash at the start got ditched too!)

Final Fantasy IV - Fight 1

Final Fantasy IV marked the jump to new, better, shiny and (then) mind-blowing capabilities of the SNES. Of course with all things new it's nice to keep something familiar -- and yes, that intro is still there! I get the feeling that Uematsu's ambition from Final Fantasy III carried over here but he toned it down a bit too. We have a nice little build up melody up until 0:21 when it seamlessly transitions into a simple core melody that repeats itself four whole times. Yes, four times, Final Fantasy IV... coincidental? I doubt it!

Final Fantasy IV also got the DS treatment too. Somehow with all those sound channels available they managed to make it sound even more '80s rock (yes I use genre definitions loosely). Have a listen and let me know what you think!

Final Fantasy V - The Battle

This theme feels a whole lot like Final Fantasy IV's condensed into a more bite-sized chunk with a Final Fantasy I melody to provide the components to build up for the loop. It ticks all the boxes -- the 3 second intro, two repeating melodies and that simple repeating backing beat that's permeated nearly every Battle Theme so far.

Although Final Fantasy V received a bit of a spit and polish for it's iOS re-release they didn't remaster the soundtrack as has been the case with the previous 4 instalments. It did, however, get featured in Dissidia where it maintains it's very upbeat vibe, multiplied tenfold.

Final Fantasy VI - Battle Theme

The classic 3 second intro is still there followed by 2 melodies, the first of which clearly drew some inspiration from Final Fantasy V. However when we loop back round to the first melody at 0:27 one might think that's it? That's a very short theme! Oh boy oh boy did Uematsu pull a fast one on you. 0:38 comes and hits us with a third -- yes THIRD -- melody. Mind = blown! Clearly in the know that your mind would be blown by this it then loops back into the first two melodies. Genius! So much so that three would go on to be the magic number melody wise for future battle themes.

Final Fantasy VI has, despite fan demand, yet to have a new lick of paint. However if your appetite for variations, remasters or remixes is as insatiable as mine then you happen to be in luck. Look no further than the epic re-arrangement by The Black Mages!

Final Fantasy VII - Fighting

... What's this... something is... off... The intro - it's gone! My 3 seconds of dooooouuluuluuuluuu... GONE!

Panic not though! It's fitting really that the first game of the PSone era would throw tradition to the wind. This was a new Final Fantasy of a new era, one in a more dystopian and modern world. Uematsu certainly put the new sound capabilities to good use too -- although sticking with a simple beat throughout he drew upon what he started in earlier titles using a set of rotating melodies that build up and loop through until the climatic conclusion at 0:54 that leads into it all over again at 1:10.

For me this track is also quite notable as (along with maybe VI) it feels more dramatic and in tune with the events of the world. It reflects the struggle you're going through to get to your goal. It's Final Fantasy but it doesn't feel as "fantasy" as previous tracks. It has a certain rustiness to it.

This track was deemed so notable it was even featured in the Symphonic Odysseys - A Tribute to Nobuo Uematsu concert!

Final Fantasy VIII - Don't Be Afraid

'dat intro and build up... 'dat intro and bu-- ... It develops upon what was started with VII providing us with a very dramatic and almost militaristic build-up until 0:44 where it switches to its other main melody, whilst still repeating the previous melody in the background before effortlessly flowing back into the loop from 1:13 onward.

This theme really got me in the mood for whatever the game was throwing at me. Random battles always had a thing for being seen as a bit of a chore after a while but this theme really got the adrenaline flowing and is almost hopeful in a way -- it reflects a struggle, but as the title of the track suggests -- victory is hand. Most of the time anyway.

As a long-time lover of orchestra I'm please to say that this piece got the Distant Worlds treatment too!

Final Fantasy IX - Battle 1 ~ Battle Theme

It's fitting that the Final Fantasy that was practically a homage to it's early predecessors would bring back that awesome 3 second intro which is sadly the last we'll hear of it for a while. Overall this theme is a fantastic blend of elements from both VII and VIII as well as drawing upon those classic vibes from I through VI (it even covers III's quirkiness too!)

Using build ups similar to those heard at the beginning of VII and VIII it takes us into the second melody which gradually builds up with the aid of some trusty violin and drops us into the third melody full of techno sounds before looping back around into the build up again. Yup, three melodies, I told you three would be the magic number! So much so that on the OST version of this track this set of three melodies even gets cycled three times - bring us to a grand total of... guess what? Yup, 9!

If you just so happen to be sitting there thinking that this theme couldn't get anymore techno or Japanese Anime sounding - then Dissidia is here to prove you wrong!

Final Fantasy X - Battle Theme

DA-DA-D-DA-DA-DA! It's okay, with an intro that catchy I've already forgotten about that 3 second classic. The PS2 brought us even more glorious sound channels to be utilised to obtain melodic nirvana. Rather than following in the footsteps of the previous 3 games this theme keeps a steady theme throughout. Until 0:42 when the crescendo kicks in and by Jove does that melody stick in the mind. It works as a great energy boost when the battle may be lulling before reverting to a relaxed calm from 1:04 onward that sets us up for a second crescendo that leads to a blasting conclusion at 1:23 before coming full circle at 1:41.

The theme is certainly an overall change of pace from previous themes but it still maintains the calling cards of a Final Fantasy Battle theme. Simple underlying repeating beat? Check. Epic crescendos? Check. Three melodies? Well being the mind-blowing kind of guy he is, Uematsu actually chucked 5 melodies into this one. Of course on the OST version this set of 5 gets repeated twice bringing us up to 10. Oh Nobuo, you and your patterns!

Surprisingly, it actually sounds quite good when performed by an orchestra too!

Final Fantasy X-2 - YuRiPa, Fight! No. 3

Forget everything you knew about Final Fantasy. Much like being the first direct sequel to a main series instalment, Final Fantasy X-2 was also a first for ditching a lot of the staples of the music of it's predecessors. Gone are the violins and the synthed orchestras. In are more electronic sounds and a decent enough guitar rift. Personally I preferred the cheesiness of YuRiPa, Fight! No. 1 but No. 3 is generally recognised as the most widely used of the YuRiPa, Fight! themes. This theme sounds more like a battle theme I'd expect to hear in a Tales Of game.

Final Fantasy XI - Battle Theme ~Solo~

Final Fantasy XI provides us with our first numbered instalment not to have a battle theme composed by Uematsu which would go on to become a continuing trend. Naoshi Mizuta took the crown for this one and was faced with a rather interesting challenge. This game was online, battles were fluid and dynamic and more so than the previous games - A LOT (like, seriously, a metric tonne) of monsters would be fought. Grinding was the name of the game in MMOs back then and a bad battle theme would leave players bored by the time they hit level 10.

This theme is fast-paced and dramatic enough to keep the adrenaline flowing for battles without becoming overbearing. Using a simple melody that's built upon up until 1:00 the theme then shifts into a slightly more slower paced but more dramatic theme, fitting for those mob encounters that weren't quickly ended. Overall? Job well done!

Final Fantasy XII - Esper Battle

Final Fantasy XII didn't really have a general Battle Theme. Rather than exclude it completely I've gone for the next best thing. The Esper Battle Theme - because let's face it, this game involved earning the will of a lot of damn Espers.

From the heavy crashing drums at the start coupled with the pipes build up this track is instantly epic. It had to be for something that was intended to reflect the power of what you were up against. This is then emphasized two fold by the alternating male and female choirs when then unite in the build up to the loop. The clockwork drum beating really gives the impression of a fight against time.

Two whole themes since I mentioned any remasterings or reworks! Getting withdrawal yet? Well thankfully Esper Battle got an Dissida arrangement too!

Final Fantasy XIII - Blinded By Light

Ah, Final Fantasy XIII -- like it or loathe it -- one thing it got right without a shadow of a doubt was the battle theme. Although it had no classic 3 second intro, it very well could have had it, as the first few seconds of deep strings building up into a steady melody is classic Final Fantasy. Additional elements get thrown into the mix before the crescendo at 0:57. This violin melody is simply amazing in my eyes and the big conclusion starting at 1:16 blends perfectly back into the intro build-up for the loop at 1:36.

It may not have been composed by Uematsu, but it features the hallmarks of a Final Fantasy battle theme. Simple backing beat. Three melodies blended into one another with great crescendos.

The drums, strings and pipes make it a fitting track to hit Distant Worlds in orchestral glory.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Last Hunter

Not a satisfied at calling it quits at X-2, Square Enix hit us with XIII-2. However this battle theme, unlike the YuRiPa ones, didn't stray as far away from the Uematsu formula for success (trademark pending). Clocking in at 2:30 before the loop this is certainly one of the longest battle themes in Final Fantasy history.

Now, before you immediately skip to the next track, take a listen. Sure it's a bit electronicy and doesn't have the orchestral (synthed or otherwise) vibe we know and love. But the core is still there. A fast paced melody starts us off as more and more elements get thrown in (just like any other theme intro). At 0:36 we get our lead into the second melody which gets gradually built upon. Then at 1:09 we get the guitar transition into a crescendo that builds and builds using elements of the previous two melodies into a third melody at 2:03 before coming full circle and using the beat throughout to loop back at 2:30.

Yes, it sounds different, but it's actually more on style than the likes of X-2. Of course the change in style isn't to everyone's taste but I feel it certainly reflects the camaraderie between Noel and Serah on their battles through time and memory (frozen in crystal... okay I'll stop!)

Final Fantasy XIV - Nail of the Heavens

I'll preface this by saying that XIV has a lot of battle themes for the various situations you're in. But this is the one you'll hear the most, and well:

Guitars, guitars and MOAR GUITARS! #rockout

Much like XI, XIV is online, meaning that there is a heck of a lot of mob slaying. Like, lots. Whether it be for quests, levequests or just grinding. Killing things happens a lot and as with any MMO can become a rather arduous task after a while. But hey, nothing like some guitar to make that seem like a breeze right?

To be honest the intro to this sounds like more of an epic victory fanfare than a battle theme but this is quickly settled when the core riff kicks in at 0:34 with a second one around 0:59. 1:20 marks the third transition into what can only be described as the long fight grind where you begin wishing that pesky mob would just die and hand over it's worldy possessions. This also acts as a great build up to come back to main riff at 1:48.

I would love to feature the battle theme for A Realm Reborn here too, but well, not yet! But believe me as soon as we're allowed too you'll get to hear it!

As we've heard, Uematsu clearly has a liking for patterns and repetitions. Most of the battle themes are a simple beat combined with simple flowing melodies that blend together into a catchy whole. Yet even in their constructive simplicity each theme manages to sound unique and appropriate to it's environment which is what elevates them into memorable tracks that make home in our subconscious.

Even the themes not composed by Uematsu manage to keep that quintessential Final Fantasy vibe by following the simple building blocks of Uematsu's themes. It's also why Final Fantasy X-2's themes sound so different. The guitar and techno was a break away from tradition in itself but most notably it did not follow the composition patterns of the previous games.

With all that said and done I'm going to hit with you with my top 5 themes from this list. This was actually quite hard for as I love most of the themes unconditionally! Maybe you'll agree with my choices. Maybe you'll be so incensed you'll feel the urge to comment and tell me that I probably only eat vanilla ice cream because my taste is so bland!

Aulayna's completely spur of the moment Top 5 FF Battle Themes

1. Final Fantasy X - As mentioned earlier I love that intro, then the deceptive lull within the first 15-22 seconds that builds up to the crescendo at 0:42. Everytime I hear this theme I can't help but bounce on my chair a bit and feel invigorated and ready to accomplish anything!
    2. Final Fantasy I - The theme that started it all. So many of the patterns seen in latter themes come from this. For me whenever I was rolling d20s playing D&D this is always the type of theme I'd imagine playing in the background were our battles in a video game. It's just so fitting - the perfect blend of drama with cautious optimism.
    3. Final Fantasy VIII - I just love the thumping drums throughout this and the build up to the melody at 0:45. This theme made even the easiest battles in the game feel visceral and I'd often find myself dragging some of them out just to hear a bit more of the theme.
    4. Final Fantasy XIII - Whilst I'm not the biggest supporter of FFXIII the violin work in this really gets the blood pumping and I always found myself tapping my foot along and gravitating towards the edge of my seat when the crescendo kicked in at 0:58. Especially when it coincided with a Stagger and some serious ass was about to be handed to someone. I was most pleased when I heard this theme in XIII-2, it was like awww yeaaaah -- trout's about to get real.
    5. Final Fantasy IV - Whilst repeating the same melody four times in a row might not seem like the most creative thing in the world to do -- it somehow works!

Whew! Out of breath yet? That was certainly a lot to get through!

Now you may be wondering? Where's the boss themes? Where's the final fight themes? Before you strap me down and burn me alive for committing such an indescribable travesty - have no fear - those themes will be coming in a future edition.

With all that said let's have a recap of the last two editions. March saw a very special edition celebrating Nobuo Uematsu's birthday and provided a retrospective of his life so far. In February we looked at location themes. Loony BoB certainly enjoyed the inclusion of XII tracks in the mix:

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Also, good call on Giza Plains. I'm not sure which I loved more - Giza Plains or Dalmasca Estersand - but they both really gave me the adventurous, excited and thrilled feelings I can only imagine an explorer gets when he discovers new land. It's like... BOOM! Welcome to a massive, wide open world! Enjoy!
    Whilst Formalhaut was feeling Cosmo Canyon:

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I really like Cosmo Canyon. it really captures the feel of the sunset location, and a testament to days gone by. As for Ronfaure, I am simply addicted to the Distant Worlds version of it. AMAZING. It's so uplifting and happy, which for a Final Fantasy game can be hard to come by.
    Plus if this cacophony of themes wasn't enough and you want more, more, more, you're in luck! As part of the Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary celebrations, Square Enix released an epic orchestral collection of all the major battle themes to date:

Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Battle Medley

So, which Battle Theme was your favourite? Do you like the new vibe style of XIII, XIII-2 and XIV or are you all about the classics such as IV, V and VI? Let me know in the comments below!

That's all for this month. Remember whatever demons you're battling, music can spur you onward!

The trusty White Mage in your group,
    aulayna.gif
    Last edited by Aulayna; 05-14-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I very much loved Blinded By Light actually, it was very well done and successfully tread a line between tradition and newness. It was good.

I didn't very much care for FFX's main battle theme though. I just didn't feel for it. It just felt very flat and didn't get me pumping. I guess all of the inane farming and battling post-game didn't help much for it.

Glad these are back Aulayna!

Articles
    Blog Entries

All of them are awesome. But if I had to pick a favorite, it'd be VII's. It feels epic, but not over-the-top.

You should totally add polls to these threads.
    Last edited by Karifean; 05-15-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I also really liked VII's too. It worked a lot like it's World Map theme in the slow build-up.

Which one was your favourite Formy?
    Last edited by Aulayna; 05-15-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Really not sure what my favourite would be. Actually, I'd have to refuse to flat out name one favourite, but I can name a few. FFIV, VII, and IX are probably around the top for me. All very strong themes as far as I'm concerned.

Surprisingly, despite my love of FFVI and it's soundtrack, I think it's battle theme is one of the weaker ones from the SNES and PSX eras. After the PSX things get a bit... weird I guess. I think X's is pretty weak, the ones that are actually in XII are great, but you don't hear them often. Didn't care for X-2's, but XIII's is actually pretty good. Certainly nothing like the older themes, but pretty good none the less.

It's also the only thing about FFXIII I didn't hate.