Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Default Final Fantasy VIII PC Re-Release

Popular Japanese gaming news magazine Famitsu has revealed that Final Fantasy VIII will be following in the footsteps of Final Fantasy VII and will be getting a re-released PC version. Not many details are known right now but according to Famitsu the remastered version will have boosts similar to those found in the remastered Final Fantasy VII PC re-release along with Achievements.

This ties in nicely with the list of Steam Achievements that were leaked back in March. Oddly Final Fantasy VII wasn't available via Steam and at this point it's still not confirmed if Final Fantasy VIII will definitely be available through Steam. However there also appears to be an EULA for Final Fantasy VII on Steam now so the safe money is that Square Enix will be bringing this titles to Steam alongside their own digital distribution service.

Unfortunately no release date has been confirmed yet and there is no word on whether or not this re-release will be coming to Europe and North America. It's very likely though.

This is great news for newer fans of the series who may have missed out on this title. It's also an opportunity for older fans to see if the game is really as good, or bad, as they remember. Are you excited? Or do you think Square Enix are trading too heavilly on nostalgia?

[Source: DSO Gaming]

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Some screenshots from Famitsu:

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge2.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

Did they say anything about killing the dynamic range on the music as they did with the FF7 re-release?

I think they need to fix their current production and design issues before they are worthy of revisiting the classics.

Oh, goody. Cloud saves, just what this game needed.

Upping the resolution may help quite a bit with FFVIII's massive pixelation, but the game could use a much more serious retooling.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Yay. At last there's some Final Fantasy sequel out on PC.
    Thanks Square Enix

I wish that they would do what they're doing with FF X HD and give the game a makeover and make it downloadable via X-Box or PS3 network. This just looks the same as the 1999 PC original.

Cloud Saves ? Oh smurf off not those again. They destroy the challenge of the original game.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Exactly how do cloud saves destroy the challenge? Because you can't lose your memory card anymore?

Additionally, remaking the 2d/3d "hybrid" games is a whole different ball park than improving a fullly 3D game. It is just a lot more work, and it's just a pipe dream, really.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Steam Achievements? Damn, that's another game on the wishlist -_-

From what I understand, the actual graphics themselves aren't going to be improved in the slightest, just made HD (i.e. to fit higher screen resolutions), and, well, I always thought FF8 was ugly as it was. This is just gonna get painful, though anti-aliasing options might make it somewhat bearable.
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Found a screen cap of advanced graphics.

I can't wait to get this again via Steam, as my VS. Omega Weapon team is either Squall/Quistis/Rinoa or Zell/Irvine/Selphie.

Armageddon Fist flowchart for the win! :P
    Hisui & Kohaku: I play as them in Melty Blood.

Don't forget, those of you who've only played the console version: The PC version will get you access to Chocobo World. You'll finally be able to collect the extra summon items, and the Ribbon!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.