Thread: Intentional Naming Puns

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Intentional Naming Puns

I had this great friend when I was in high school who was very clever and hilarious. We bonded over video games, specifically The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. We quoted the game, we devised Poe hunting strategies, we talked it into the ground.

One day my friend says to me "I've always wanted to name myself (as in the player, as in Link) Zelda."

"...Why?"

"Because in that scene at the castle when you meet her for the first time she would say 'Zelda... that name seems somehow... familiar.'" Which is hysterical.

Obviously there are many games, and many within Final Fantasy that allow the player to customize names, which can often lead to hilarity. Well, my brand of hilarity. I used to name Yang from FFIV (II SNES) BlesU. BECAUSE HIS FIGHTING CALL WAS ACHOOOO. Yeah, I was a weird kid.

With that being said, and keeping it PG-13 up in here, what are some of the names you've given your characters over the years? Extra points will be awarded for puns that occur in the script given the alteration. And anyone who just named the character after themselves is boooooring.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Yahtzee says he likes naming Link "I say", so that everyone else sounds like Foghorn Leghorn.

"I say, you are the chosen one!"

When I played FFII I named the main characters "I say", "Like", "OMG", and "Well". It made for some very interesting conversations.

"Like, Well, OMG, you must fight against the empire!"

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The classic is naming Griever in FF8 as "yourass", so when you fight Ultimecia, she comes out with the line "and now I shall junction myself unto... yourass". I admit it, I giggle like a little girl when that happens!
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I like to call Red XIII Nanaki, so that in cosmo canyon, people will be like "who is nanaki?" and "Nanaki is nanaki!"
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahahahaha this is better than I expected. I love the yourass one, but I think I say is even better.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A friend and I decided to play through FFVII, give everyone ridiculous names, and record all of the funny dialogue in the game. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what those names are and I cannot find any of the pictures/videos that showed anyone except for Cloud and Tifa. We thought it was funny to give Tifa the name Steve for some reason, but that's not good. Cloud we just named after ourselves so that's boring. Part of me feels like we just gave Barret a bunch of symbols for his name, but I can't remember if that's something you can even do when naming characters.