Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How do you get healthy food to actually taste good?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Do you like Indian food or does it give you the poops? I love putting masala on stuff.
    I have never had Indian food before. The only kind of Indians we have here are the Native American kind so it's not like I ever get the chance to have actual Indian food.

Articles

If you like meatballs, there is a healthier alternative:

for the proportions:

1lb ground lean turkey
    1tbl salt
    1/2tbl pepper
    1.5tbl of soy sauce
    1/3 cup for parm. cheese
    1/3 bread crumbs
    parsley, oregano, tyme, onion powder & garlic powder to taste

you can add an egg to help hold it together or take out the yolk and after forming meatball brush some eggwhite on it.

Typically bakes 30-45mins at 350.

A nice spin is to put some mozzarella cheese in the middle of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I'm My Own MILF View Post
    Do you like Indian food or does it give you the poops? I love putting masala on stuff.
    I have never had Indian food before. The only kind of Indians we have here are the Native American kind so it's not like I ever get the chance to have actual Indian food.
    How did you end up with all the Native Americans and me with all the Indians? Try Indian food. Stay near a toilet after just in case.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Stay near a toilet after just in case.
    A ringing endorsement if ever I heard one.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is there a trader joes anywhere near you? They actually have pretty good frozen Indian entrees as well as various curries. You could buy a jar of curry and then throw it on some cauliflower or chickpeas and it would be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I don't think any of this is really off topic in a discussion of healthy eating. In fact, if you hadn't said this, I probably would have because it's pretty damn important. Seriously, the time's I've been at my leanest are when my diet was pretty much swimming in meat and fat with some fruits and vegetables. Hell, I even experimented with going below 20g of carbs a day so I was getting the vast majority of my food energy from protein and fat, and while I probably wouldn't have been running any marathons, I was otherwise perfectly fine.
    I've been keeping my carb intake under 20g for just under 4 weeks now. And I've dropped 10 pounds. I'm about 3 pounds away from the weight I was at when I was 14 years old. Nuts!!

People are generally baffled that I'm eating things like cheese and bacon and lots of eggs and the pounds are just dropping off me. I've had to explain the whole bit about carbs and fat and insulin over and over cause I get asked all the time wtf I'm doing and is it healthy and whatnot. That being said, I probably won't maintain this for much longer and I'll up my intake to about 50g-70g. Which is still far less than what most people consume in a day.
    Last edited by Miriel; 05-23-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I've been preaching the benefits of this stuff for a couple of years now myself since I gradually fell into it. I think the funniest part is reading articles and opinions from people who are supposedly experts on diet and nutrition. Listen to a lot of nutritionists who say glucose is required to fuel the body and brain and they'd probably think anyone on less than 20g of carbs a day for a month (and a lot of days I was closer to zero or at zero) was either dead or close to death.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is there a trader joes anywhere near you?
    Nope.

Okay so how do I do this low-carb thing? Just stop eating bread?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That would be the biggest part of it really. Though sugar is bad too, so cutting back on pop and stuff is kind of a must.

Really, just focus on meat and vegetables and you're like 90% there anyway.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I'm My Own MILF View Post
    Is there a trader joes anywhere near you?
    Nope.

Okay so how do I do this low-carb thing? Just stop eating bread?
    Carbs come mostly from grains, starchy veggies, and sugar. So cutting out most junk foods like chips, candy bars, soda, etc. In addition to limiting your intake of bread-y items, rice and veggies like potatoes. If you're not doing it for weight loss and instead for general health, you can still eat things like bread, but just limit your portions. So if you eat a sandwich for lunch, think about going completely without carbs for dinner by having something like marinated chicken kabobs with a green salad (but watch out for salad dressing, they can be killer in terms of the amount of sugar!). Or if you ate meat/veggies/cheese during most of the day, you can still treat yourself to a slice of cake.

If you're doing it for weight loss, you have to be way more stringent.

The big thing is to make sure you are aware of exactly what you're eating. Most people eat without really thinking. And beyond that, a lot of people eat without comprehending WHAT they're eating. Start looking at ingredient labels on food. If you can't understand or pronounce half the ingredients, stay away. Eat more natural stuff. Eat veggies, eat greens. Eat meat.

Here's a great article that talks about a lot of myths about eating healthier: 8 Ridiculous Nutrition Myths Debunked | Popular Science

Blog Entries

Carbs are in -literally- everything.

However, going low-carb can actually be unhealthy for you as you need the good carbs to keep your energy up. Whole grain things.

If you eat Mexican or go to a Mexican restaurant and order something like tacos or fajitas, ask for corn tortillas instead of flour - and avoid the crunchy shells.

EDIT:
    Typically, a serving of tortillas is 2 and they only have around 110 cal and about 10 grams of carbs. It depends on what brands though - it can vary and the cals can be as high as 150 for 2 or as low as 75 (I -think-).

And, this goes without saying - Water. Drink lots of it. Drinking about 1 bottle before your meal can help you feel fuller faster so that you avoid over eating - regardless of the healthy content of your meal.

I really don't know how to tell you to make "healthy food" taste better. I guess it's an acquired taste for some. I'm more of a veggie person than I am fruits (people are generally one or the other). Try looking up a recipe for eggplant parmesan.

Or get some bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes, fire up the grill and make veggie skewers with sliced (& 1/2'ved into 1/2 moons) zucchini, squash, widely sliced onion pieces, whole button mushrooms, and roma tomato chunks. Season with salt & pepper & maybe brush on some low fat/low sugar Italian dressing while you grill them (make sure to spray the grill with non-stick cooking spray first). They make this at Logan's Roadhouse (where I used to work) - it's really good.

Also good? Marinate salmon steaks in Allegro's brand Spicy Soy marinade for 30 minutes, and grill with the skewers.

Otherwise, I like fresh veggies - baby spinach salads with onion, avocado, tomato, mushrooms & just plain ole lemon or lime juice squeezed on top.

The few times I can make myself eat breakfast, it's usually an egg white omelette with sauteed (in EVOO) diced -fresh- asparagus, onion, & tomato & baby swiss cheese on the inside. I like to sprinkle lemon pepper on it to give it a bit more flavor.

Oh, and 1 more thing, Peanut Butter - if you buy the All-Natural kind (the oil will separate and rise to the top if it's all-natural), 2 tblsp of it is actually a -good- fat. Peanut Butter is good on whole wheat waffles. So is cream cheese. mmmmmm...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well as I said in another thread I slathered peanut butter all over some celery today and it was amazing. A+ would eat again.

I'm not looking to lose weight so much as just not die before I turn 50. I could probably stand to lose 5 or maybe 10 pounds but that would be a bonus, not the goal.

Blog Entries

I used to be small. I mean. Aside from drug usage-small (yeah, I went there. It was ages ago. I grew up and grew out of it.).. I got down to like 115 -after- I had my behbeh (my normal weight when I got preggo was 135 - not horrible for being 5'0", but not really ideal 'cuz it's all in my stomach and.. *gulp* ... boobies.) . Sadly, stress from 2 jobs, a baby, college classes caused me to gain some of it back. Wasn't a big deal. The ex had told me I was too skinny anyway (even though I can go as low as 90 lbs and still be in my recommended BMI range). Long Story Short, I gained it all back plus some after Life went downhill. I'm slowly losing it again, though, thank goodness. I just -really- have to watch what I eat.

And, there's a sh*t ton of health problems that run in my family - strokes, heart attack, breast cancer, depression (which i call BS on), diabetes, alzheimers, dementia, and lord knows what else. Exercise is hard for me though 'cuz I have a bad back. Working all day in a restaurant - by the end of a 12 hr shift, I'm dying from so much pain.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    However, going low-carb can actually be unhealthy for you as you need the good carbs to keep your energy up. Whole grain things.
    You really don't need many carbs in the diet, least of all whole grains. They're basically devoid of any nutritional value (nutrients get added in during the process of making things like bread to make them seem like they're less of a completely useless dietary vestige). And honestly, if you saw what even just 100g of carbs looked like in the form of vegetables it would be more than you could probably eat in an entire day, and packed with a lot more nutrition than you'll find in a loaf of bread. Pretty much any living human could live on less than 100g of carbs a day unless they're planning to run a marathon or some similarly difficult athletic endeavour. And pretty much anyone's body will happily utilize fat for energy when not being inundated with more carbs than it can handle.

Wheat hasn't been in the human diet for very long. People weren't generally eating the equivalent of 300g of carbs a day and basing their diets on it until the last 50 years or so, and the types of grains we eat today didn't even exist when our grandparents were kids, and are substantially worse for us than the wheat they were fed.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

I've kinda glossed over what has been said so far so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already but I noticed people pretty much suggesting food types etc and mostly I agree, however one thing I would say to you if you are looking to eat more healthily is to cook everything you eat yourself. Like you say you love burgers, pizza, chinese etc then yeah, cool, eat it up, just make as much of it as you can yourself. Burgers for example are absolutely piss easy to make from scratch and it is undoubtedly healthier when you control exactly what goes into it and make it fresh.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

In my continuing quest to eat healthy, I had some fish and a whole bunch of strawberries for dinner yesterday and it filled me up for the rest of the evening. Now it's the next morning and damn if I'm not still full.

Is this a normal thing? I had no idea a bit of fish and berries would be so filling.