Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How do you get healthy food to actually taste good?

Blog Entries

It's normal. Or well. It depends on how big that portion of fish was and how it was cooked lol..

My sister & I did Dr. Joshi's Holistic Detox.. It was some pretty hardcore stuff - no wheat, gluten, or dairy, no red meats, no shellfish, no seafood except for like tuna and maybe salmon, no fruits except bananas, limes, & lemons, no condiments, only like detox tea or like San Pellegrino water, no tomatoes, potatoes, or other starchy veggies. And everything has to be organic. Oh, and -no- alcohol. For the 1st month.

It's pretty extreme, and the first few days, I felt really tired, but after that, I had tons of energy. I normally have a super slow metabolism and even 8 hrs. of sleep a night isn't enough for me, but after my sister and I got used to it, I could sleep comfortably for 4 hrs and be fine the next day. And, I ate like.. 1 Dorito chip and immediately felt the effects of the extra "chemicals" or whatever.

It's also expensive - since organic products cost more. But like for breakfast, I'd have a bowl of Puffins brand gluten free cereal with soy milk (following the serving sizes) & a banana. Lunch, I'd have a spinach salad with the vacuum packed albacore tuna, red onion, chick peas, and lime juice, Quaker Oats salt-free rice cakes or Broccoli & Carrots (both with organic hummus) for a snack and like plain grilled chicken with steamed veggies for dinner. It's also known as the "Alkaline Diet".

heh. Little O/T, but did you know that if you're -not- Lactose Intolerant, you're actually normal? People who -don't- have problems with milk are that way because of a genetic mutation in the genes. XD

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Also, do you guys have Aldi up there?
    Nope, never even heard of it. Alas.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh, that sucks. D: It's basically a store where everything is off-brand (although it's the exact same food, honestly) and you bag your own groceries, so everything is dirt cheap.

I know you want to be healthier, but for reference, it's like, 1.00 for a pack of 6 Ramen cups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, that sucks. D: It's basically a store where everything is off-brand (although it's the exact same food, honestly) and you bag your own groceries, so everything is dirt cheap.

I know you want to be healthier, but for reference, it's like, 1.00 for a pack of 6 Ramen cups.
    You have Aldi in America? I did not know.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post

You have Aldi in America? I did not know.
    That giant, orange A saved my family when we were too poor for food.

Blog Entries

ALDI! I love Aldi! Though I really don't trust their fresh meat products, I'll buy the frozen chicken breasts.

You also have to stick a quarter in a slot in order to get a buggy, and to get your quarter back, you gotta put the buggy back and link up the chain.
    Yes, you bag your own food, but you also have to pay for each bag you buy.

This grill master @ Red Lobster is from Germany, she says it originated in her country.

The downside though, is because it's so cheap, produce-wise, you pretty much have to get there like as soon as they get deliveries of fresh stuff - otherwise it's slim pickins.

That actually reminded me - I need to look for one here in Clarksville so we can save on our grocery bill.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    ALDI! I love Aldi! Though I really don't trust their fresh meat products, I'll buy the frozen chicken breasts.

You also have to stick a quarter in a slot in order to get a buggy, and to get your quarter back, you gotta put the buggy back and link up the chain.
    Yes, you bag your own food, but you also have to pay for each bag you buy.

This grill master @ Red Lobster is from Germany, she says it originated in her country.

The downside though, is because it's so cheap, produce-wise, you pretty much have to get there like as soon as they get deliveries of fresh stuff - otherwise it's slim pickins.

That actually reminded me - I need to look for one here in Clarksville so we can save on our grocery bill.
    Or you can just bring your own bags from home.

Yeah, wouldn't get Aldi's fresh meat. And you do have to be careful about some of their fresh produce. It's good, but you have to eat it within a few days.

Blog Entries

Lulz yeah I don't have any bags.

I think I did buy some of their ground beef once back when I was preggo.. It wasn't that bad, but it still weirded me out a lot.

Lol what drives me nuts with their produce, though, is they almost never have the same stuff 2 weeks+ in a row. Like one week, they'll have cucumbers. The next week? No cucumbers! ... I wish they'd get into selling herbs though like cilantro & parsley and stuff like that.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My biggest problem with buying fresh food is that I am very small and eat very little overall so buying fresh things in bulk for cheap results in like 80% of it inevitably being tossed out, and I hate that.

Blog Entries

Instead of buying fresh, buy frozen then! ^_^ I've also read that a lot of times, frozen veggies actually retain more of their nutrients than fresh because they're flash frozen as soon as they're picked. Meat-wise, I always buy -kind- of in bulk, but I separate it all into single/double servings in ziploc bags - freeze what I don't need, leave out what I'm going to use in the near future.

Milk can also be frozen and kept longer that way. Learned that trick when my kid was on WIC and they'd put like 5 gallons of leche on each check. And you have to get everything on that check, or you miss out. Kinda sucks, but whatever. Sorry. O/T a bit. heh.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

She's actually right about the frozen veg, Pike.

I will say, if it's .88/lb for apples, just get one or two. You still are only be charged for what you buy!

Blog Entries

Oh, and if you absolutely -insist- on buying fresh, it goes without saying that buying what's in season will always be cheaper and fresher, but with many veggies, you can blanch them in lightly salted water, then put them in freezer bags & freeze them. Like broccoli, carrots, spinach, onions and things like that.

Bananas are my #1 most unliked fruit. I like them. They're tasty. But let them beeshes sit out for too long and fruit flies appear out of nowhere and multiply within like 5 minutes.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just so you know, you can technically just drop fruit and veg if you hate it so much. The human body can be a healthy powerhouse off meat and fat alone. Vegetables and fruit are just delicious, especially with Miriel's mouth-watering, pants-tightenly magnificent recipes, and provide quick and easy ways to get certain nutrients. My evidence for this claim comes in the form of various tribes from all over the globe who pretty much only eat animal stuffs, as well as the glory that is pemmican. In terms of diet, humans haven't evolved at all since the good old days, and when we were hunter-gatherers, our diet was also almost exclusively meat and fat. It's all gravy. Boring as buggery, though.

But yeah, my main point is to bow at the feet of low-carb diets. They are literally the best. Absolutely piss-easy to keep going, not strict in anyway (you can still eat pretty much everything, and even the bad stuff like sodas and sweets are fine in normal quantities), and they work fantastically. <3

I have a special recipe for sweet, buttery carrots. I refuse to relinquish it, but I shall make it for you one day, if we ever meet. They will change your opinion of carrots. Honest to god, 100% guaranteed.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 06-16-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Carrots are terrible no matter how they're cooked. My mom cooks them with butter and sugar and they're vile.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, carrots are always bad Although I'd happily try your recipe out of curiosity, Quin!