Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How do you get healthy food to actually taste good?

Try raw baby carrots with peanut butter, or extra steamed carrots or carrots/squash.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Okay guys about two weeks ago I went low-wheat (not no-wheat entirely, just low) and high protein (mostly lean meats), nuts, and fruits and veggies. It went pretty well at first but now I'm feeling weak as a leaf. I was at work thinking I'd just fall over any minute and lifting anything took a ton of energy.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a fluke?

P.S. I take a multivitamin and drink of a ton of water.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    The one thing I would advise without having more information is to do away with the sodas - If you can, I'd replace them with iced tea, coffee, or fresh fruit or vegetable juice, or if you have a jug of water in the fridge you can put some fresh fruit slices or sprigs of mint or something in there to flavour it. If you must drink soda, go for the full-sugar variety over anything with artificial sweeteners.
    Kinda late to this show but I want to make sure this part doesn't get overlooked. Two cans of soda a day is just going to balls everything up no matter what you do. Diet or not. It's just pure bad. I mean, we try to have a large bottle of lemonade available for when we're hitting the drink for whatever reason. I also love having Coke with my Chinese food for some reason... but beyond that it's something I try to avoid and save for being a 'treat' on a hot day or something. There are months I'll go without and I feel way better for it.

I have had way more appreciation for food since I stopped keeping soda available in my fridge all through the year. And my health has probably shot through the roof while I'm at it, despite my continuing tendency to order in takeaways far more often than I should.

EDIT: Can't comment on the feeling weak thing as I don't really get the idea of those kind of targeted diets, I just do what I can to eat healthy food and be done with it. =x

EDITRA: Quin said
    Quote Originally Posted by Quin
    In terms of diet, humans haven't evolved at all since the good old days, and when we were hunter-gatherers, our diet was also almost exclusively meat and fat. It's all gravy. Boring as buggery, though.
    and I just want to say I've heard a lot of things to the contrary regarding this and I would therefore state that it's probably pure speculation. They may not have made use of grain/potatoes and dairy products back then, but they certainly would have had an easier time gathering from plants than from animals and I suspect this would have made up a large amount of their diet. Perhaps not most, but certainly a good chunk. Fruits, berries, nuts, fungi, sweet potatoes, carrots... stuff like that. Also, back then most of the meat was eaten raw. Have fun with that.
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 06-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Okay guys about two weeks ago I went low-wheat (not no-wheat entirely, just low) and high protein (mostly lean meats), nuts, and fruits and veggies. It went pretty well at first but now I'm feeling weak as a leaf. I was at work thinking I'd just fall over any minute and lifting anything took a ton of energy.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a fluke?

P.S. I take a multivitamin and drink of a ton of water.
    My first guess would be you may not be eating enough. It's something that's remarkably easy to do, and that's generally how I feel when I don't eat enough. Might be something else, but even if it is, my first questions would be what does your typical meal (or days worth of meals) look like, and what sort of portion sizes are you having?

If you are eating too little, you can try loading up on some more veggies and fruit or, since you typically have trouble enjoying those, eat more nuts for a while or snack on them between meals, add butter to everything, etc. Even just adding a glass of whole milk to a meal (whatever meal comes before your usual fatigue spells if they happen at a specific time of day) may make a noticeable difference if under eating is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    and I just want to say I've heard a lot of things to the contrary regarding this and I would therefore state that it's probably pure speculation. They may not have made use of grain/potatoes and dairy products back then, but they certainly would have had an easier time gathering from plants than from animals and I suspect this would have made up a large amount of their diet. Perhaps not most, but certainly a good chunk. Fruits, berries, nuts, fungi, sweet potatoes, carrots... stuff like that. Also, back then most of the meat was eaten raw. Have fun with that.
    Gathering fruits and vegetables would certainly make up a decent amount of food at certain times of the year. In more tropical climates humans could probably do it year round no less. But for most of us that are descended from good old fashioned Northern European white folk (not to mention people from other parts of the world such as various indigenous North American people's closer to the North Pole than otheers), until the advent of farming you wouldn't be able to base the entire diet on that stuff, and until we started farming grains and the like, getting it to store through the winter is pretty much out. Hell, if you tried to live as a hunter gatherer in most of Canada without ever eating meat it's a safe bet you would die since nothing is really growing for six months out of the year.

But what Quin said about being able to thrive on just protein and fat is pretty much true. They're the only two macro nutrients the body absolutely needs. You can cut out carbs completely and be pretty much fine in the long run (assuming your supplementing well and such. It was a bit easier for our ancestors when eating nutrient rich organ meat was considered the thing to do). Cut out protein or fat completely though and you'll die an early death. It may take a long time because our bodies hate us like that, but it will happen.

Blog Entries

Carrots are -never- bad. Carrots are good. Very good.

raw carrots are ok. raw carrots with hummus are better. cooked carrots are awful.

Blog Entries

Mmmmm hummus...

Carrots are good lightly steamed. Or in pot roast. XD

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Carrots are always gross. This year I will be proudly celebrating my 30th year of hating carrots.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    My first guess would be you may not be eating enough. It's something that's remarkably easy to do, and that's generally how I feel when I don't eat enough. Might be something else, but even if it is, my first questions would be what does your typical meal (or days worth of meals) look like, and what sort of portion sizes are you having?

If you are eating too little, you can try loading up on some more veggies and fruit or, since you typically have trouble enjoying those, eat more nuts for a while or snack on them between meals, add butter to everything, etc. Even just adding a glass of whole milk to a meal (whatever meal comes before your usual fatigue spells if they happen at a specific time of day) may make a noticeable difference if under eating is the problem.
    I've been eating until I am no longer hungry, but usually not until I am completely full. Most of my fruits and veggies I'm eating with peanut butter as dip. Not eating enough might be a possibility since lots of protein tends to wipe out my appetite for a while. I'll try the milk thing.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Carrots are great. Especially fresh from the ground with the dirt wiped off on your jeans.

And yeah, protein can kill appetite, and after switching over from eating a bunch of wheat and junk to not eating as much it can be easy to feel sated even if you're not eating enough. Tends to catch up with you eventually though. Last year I decided to measure out my food for a bit and tighten things up to make sure everything was on track. Turned out I was eating close to 1,200 calories a day without realizing. Not nearly enough given my activity level. Unless I was a 5 foot tall, 110 pound woman anyway.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Turned out I was eating close to 1,200 calories a day without realizing. Not nearly enough given my activity level. Unless I was a 5 foot tall, 110 pound woman anyway.
    You mean you're not ??

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pike, you're probably having the same problem I had when I first went low carb, and it's a common mistake a LOT of people seem to make. You're probably not eating enough fat!

Add more butter and oils to whatever you're eating. Have cheese as a snack if you're feeling a bit weak. And eggs, eggs are like a super food!

If your diet is low carb AND low fat, then you're actually going to me in a malnourished starvation state. Your body doesn't need that much protein. You can actually starve yourself and have some serious medical problems if you eat too much lean meats without fats and carbs to balance it out.

Try eating fattier meats instead of the lean cuts, or add in fat by way of butter and oils.

Eat more nuts too!

I know some people who struggle with adding more fat into their diet actually start off the day by having coffee and throwing in either heavy whipping cream, a slab of butter, or a shot of coconut oil. It's enough fat to keep you going for most of the day and get rid of those weak feelings.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fat is your friend. Your best friend. Show it how much you love it by devouring lots and lots.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Are there any sorts of fats I should be avoiding (or preferring), or is it all good?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Avoid vegetable oils. If you have any Pam or Crisco in the house pretty much just throw them right out. That's about it. Animal fat, lard, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts and seeds, it's all good.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Gathering fruits and vegetables would certainly make up a decent amount of food at certain times of the year. In more tropical climates humans could probably do it year round no less. But for most of us that are descended from good old fashioned Northern European white folk (not to mention people from other parts of the world such as various indigenous North American people's closer to the North Pole than otheers), until the advent of farming you wouldn't be able to base the entire diet on that stuff, and until we started farming grains and the like, getting it to store through the winter is pretty much out. Hell, if you tried to live as a hunter gatherer in most of Canada without ever eating meat it's a safe bet you would die since nothing is really growing for six months out of the year.

But what Quin said about being able to thrive on just protein and fat is pretty much true. They're the only two macro nutrients the body absolutely needs. You can cut out carbs completely and be pretty much fine in the long run (assuming your supplementing well and such. It was a bit easier for our ancestors when eating nutrient rich organ meat was considered the thing to do). Cut out protein or fat completely though and you'll die an early death. It may take a long time because our bodies hate us like that, but it will happen.
    I was referring to Quin's suggestion that you could thrive on meat and fat alone (or "almost exclusively"). I am in no way suggesting that they went without, but more suggesting that it isn't as "almost exclusively meats & fats" as he might think. And yeah, Northern Canada might not have as much fruit growing on the trees most of the year, but the population of the Inuit isn't exactly booming and their diet usually includes a number of less traditional organs from less traditional animals as well as vegetation (and have fun drinking fresh seal blood), so the idea that you could emulate that by only eating chicken, beef and pork from your local supermarket is not something I would suggest in a thread such as this one. Also, the life expectancy of the Inuit isn't great compared to the rest of Canada. Those people eating their high veg diets are perhaps getting a better deal when you look at things that way.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!