Thread: ms marvel

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default ms marvel

Ms. Marvel #1: Embracing The Paradox [Review]

From the beginning, Ms. Marvel feels like the best kind of young adult fiction. Page one introduces you to Kamala Khan, a 16-year-old Muslim Pakistani-American and the star of the series, as she longingly smells some bacon she describes as “infidel meat.”
    Kamala Khan doesn’t have that benefit. The character is female, Muslim, and new. Because of that, there are some readers who simply won’t give the book a chance and some retailers who won’t even bother to order it. In that sense, the pressure on the Ms. Marvel team to put out a good product far exceeds that of creators on other books. Chris Rock once said his father told him that if he wanted to succeed as a comedian, it wouldn’t be enough to be as funny as the white comedians around him, and then complain that they got jobs ahead of him. He had to be funnier than them – much funnier — in order to make it. He had to give people no choice but to acknowledge his talent. It’s not fair, but but it’s true. I think that’s the position the Ms. Marvel team finds themselves in. Sadly, it isn’t enough to be good; they have to be better.
    Fortunately for us, they were up to the task. Maybe this is the revolution.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Oh my gosh, those furry-hatted dream birds. I was very excited about this release, although to my shame I haven't bought a copy, having not bought comics in years. I wonder if I can get a PDF - ah, it links to a digital copy, yesss.

Anyway, I do agree about having to exceed expectations in all areas just to survive. In a world where Wonder Woman can't even get her own movie, it's a minor miracle this is able to run in the first place.

It reminds me of a couple of my writing groups - my "foreign" words (Like "lounge" as in "sitting room". How is that some obscure word?) got heavily criticized, while I was also praised for my "exotic" depictions at the same time. Readers will often take any excuse to criticize the unfamiliar - although thankfully, it's not always true and a lot of people are pretty open minded. I've heard multiple stories of people being criticized for "having an agenda" in telling their story, or people being offended that writers dare to include dialogue in their native language. Do these kinds of readers only read books by white Americans and Britons? A good Junot Diaz quote that sums up this phenomenon is, "Mothersmurfers will read a book that’s one third Elvish, but put two sentences in Spanish and they [white people] think we’re taking over."

Anyway, yes - I'm a fan of this diversity (while still remaining true to a core teenage experience) and will shortly be reading the first issue in full.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That last panel made me lol.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bought the first issue last week and this is definitely going on the old pull list for every month. One of the best new comics I've read in the last few years. Actually, between this and Captain Marvel, it's been a good couple of years for the Marvel family quality wise. And it feels pretty good to be able to say that two of the best comics in recent years star female characters. Even better that one is a Muslim american. Not that she's the only Muslim female in the Marvel Universe though.

I don't read comics, but she does have my favorite design of any comic character, I think.

Ditto. I mostly don't read comics. But that's in sleeve form. When the comics are bound together in books, I'll read them (like recently, I read Batman Court of Owls). I would also watch if it were released as a movie.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.