Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: XBOX ONE revealed

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He'd be the only one since the PS4 reveal was pretty awful too.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    You know, stuff like the share button on the PS4 may be a complete pile of trout as far as ideas go, but at least they were trying. I can give them credit for trying something new to enhance gaming even if it was completely stupid and awful.
    The ONE also has this functionality in it.

And really the people bitching about "oh they didn't show off any games" - well E3 is just around the corner and they have to keep something up their sleeves for that.

And the getting hung up on the TV thing and that all your seperate devices do what the ONE already does - that's the entire idea behind it, that the ONE can synchronise with all of those devices on the fly so you can easilly access anything whilst using it without having to faff around with remotes, controllers etc - you can do it all directly through Kinect.

Sure this might sound like a colossal waste of time but I thought smart phones were a colossal waste of time time at first and it took me nearly a year to realise the potential they had. This has potential too. It is frivilous for most people but it'll be handy for others.

As for me, I'm just waiting for E3 to see what their games line-up is. That will seal the deal for either of them for me.
    Last edited by Aulayna; 05-22-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Except, again, TV's can pretty much do that with most existing devices anyway. But even ignoring that, I can't think of a single time where I will want to use any of it. Do I really need to instantaneously switch from the TV show I'm watching to an internet browser? Using voice commands no less? No, I don't. I will never use this because I can simply keep watching my show while whipping out the cell phone or tablet if I need to suddenly browse the internet in the middle of my show. It's a neat trick, but it's not useful to me, it has nothing to do with what I actually use a console for, and they're devoting three operating systems and valuable hardware resources to pulling this trout off? And it's Microsoft so I wouldn't hold my breath on it even being well coded.

This is the big problem that I am having with next-gen consoles: everyone is trying to cram troutty tablet controllers, media functionality, share buttons, and everything else down my throats. But if I'm buying a console, I don't want it to be a troutty PC or a troutty tablet. I want it to play games really well. All of it's other functions are damn near superfluous to me since they provide me no direct benefit, and if they want to try and compete directly with Smart TV's by providing the exact same functionality they will not only lose, but they'll do the exact opposite of their stated goal of bringing all of this functionality into one box. Because that already happened and is happening. TV's have been doing that for a while now, and do it better by virtue of including it in the one thing you need in order to actually watch TV.

But apparently people suddenly need the Xbox ONE to become an all in one box to sit under their all in one TV. This might have been somewhat interesting five years ago. As it is, they've already been beaten to market by a product they stand pretty much no hope of beating if all they're going to do is do the same stuff they're doing.

Actually, never mind, should have seen this coming. That's been Microsoft's business model for the last decade at least.

:monster:

(SPOILER)

also:

Microsoft's Xbox head: 'If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards' | The Verge

On a technical level, the Xbox One can't play 360 games because of its processor. The new x86 CPU can't natively run games made for the 360's Xenon processor, which used PowerPC architecture — that's the same reason Sony's PlayStation 4 won't be able to support PlayStation 3 games.
    Good lord. It's like these people have never heard of emulation.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No backwards compatibility? No sale.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

'We want this to be the One thing to plug into your TV...Well except for your XBox 360 that you'll still need to play those games.'

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Interested tidbit I picked up:
    The PS4 GPU with 1.84TF vs. the XboxOne GPU with 1.2TF

The PS4 with 7GB of GDDR5 RAM for gaming (8GDDR5 in total) vs. the XboxOne with 5GB of DDR3 RAM (+esram) for gaming (8GB DDR3 in total).
    I knew that they were setting aside RAM for the background applications, but does the Xbox One really need 3 GB for that TV/fantasy league crap?

Sony has obviously built the more powerful box.

This is the big problem that I am having with next-gen consoles: everyone is trying to cram troutty tablet controllers, media functionality, share buttons, and everything else down my throats. But if I'm buying a console, I don't want it to be a troutty PC or a troutty tablet. I want it to play games really well.
    So much agreed with this.

Besides, who needs TV anyway? We have internet, people! And I always thought of games to be better than TV; you participate in the story, or even create your own story. They can spark creativity, provide challenges to the mind, and trains you in making decisions. TV is outdated, xbox is surely clinging to the past because they have no idea what to do next.

I leave you with this;

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    You know, stuff like the share button on the PS4 may be a complete pile of trout as far as ideas go, but at least they were trying. I can give them credit for trying something new to enhance gaming even if it was completely stupid and awful.
    The ONE also has this functionality in it.

And really the people bitching about "oh they didn't show off any games" - well E3 is just around the corner and they have to keep something up their sleeves for that.

And the getting hung up on the TV thing and that all your seperate devices do what the ONE already does - that's the entire idea behind it, that the ONE can synchronise with all of those devices on the fly so you can easilly access anything whilst using it without having to faff around with remotes, controllers etc - you can do it all directly through Kinect.

Sure this might sound like a colossal waste of time but I thought smart phones were a colossal waste of time time at first and it took me nearly a year to realise the potential they had. This has potential too. It is frivilous for most people but it'll be handy for others.

As for me, I'm just waiting for E3 to see what their games line-up is. That will seal the deal for either of them for me.

Agreed, this was and is all about the console itself. That meant showing everything from Games to Videos to Apps aka Skype (built-in!).

Its amazing that they even decided to show any games at all during the conference, which from my perspective is what you do to show the level of detail available. So they at least had to show something. CoD isn't something I care deeply about- I'm just glad they stopped using the "modern warfare" tag, CoD isn't realistic in my opinion it's an arcade game with the same Code and Engine re-used and re-purposed every single time. The only thing CoD did different with that engine was add a new mode for Zombies in CoD: WaW...

Back to the point here. Xbox IS about games first and foremost. The day Microsoft says it doesn't play games is a very sad day. Then at that point people can really moan, whine, and complain. E3 is coming and Microsoft says that they have 15 Microsoft only games coming the first year X1 is out.

Rare has been too awkwardly quite, for far too long and I want more Conker, Banjoo & Kazooie, and yes more Perfect Dark! If I dont see that coming instead of more Kameo, I'm truly disappointed. Dont get me wrong Kameo was a great game, just that I greatly miss the mighty "Bear & Bird" dynamic duo. Microsoft now has a new studio called Xbox Entertainment Studio... XES must be made up of old FASA and Ensemble Employees along side new hires if any. So what does this mean for us? I honestly dont know but some of those Microsoft Exclusives are from there and Rare likely. Fable 4 needs to embrace great swords & gems again. Fable III did great with Peter Molynuex's vision, but we now need a more Fable TLC like game with the new Gooy System for real-estate and other such notable improvements. No the dog is great, but I dont see it being all important unless the dog can store gear and wear its own special Armours. Which would be cool.

Epic the guys that did Gears of War could be on something new or be doing another Gears, which means a new start for them moving away from Marcus and gang. Halo... 343 is working on 5 although we wont see one until 3 years later from H4 likely. Maybe we have another Halo Wars?? (yes please!) or maybe we have a H2 remake since the Live servers on PC are getting pulled in June early July. Could be that H3 finally sees the light of day on PC with a remastered edition in HD too on top of that. I really dont know where Halo is going at this particular moment yet because there is so much that Halo can do, even a show written by the world legendary Steven Spielberg is spectacularly amazing. Whom is my first choice and Perter Jackson second behind with Micheal bay in third should a film or TV show arise. All I can say for Halo; its about dam time! We will eventually get a Halo on X1 until then we will need to see what else Microsoft has planned during E3 for Halo if anything.

For those knocking on the sports thing, yes EA sucks- I know that. However they now have exclusive rights to make a Battlefront Star-Wars game. Which could be only something X1 does get. EA also makes Battlefield, 4 is on the horizon. Which there will be some that still will buy it and play. They are also merged with Bioware, the Mass Effect creators. It'd be interesting to see where M.E. goes now that it's had its end.

Annnd... Forza the guys at Turn 10 are amazing at what they do and they love their job. It shows in the game when you see it and yes even more so when you race that dream car of yours. I'm excited for F5 and while you might go say "I dont like racing" if you were paying attention to the extreme in-depth level of detail on the Cars. That is what you can expect your games to look like fidelity wise when the Dev takes the time to pay attention to detail. It's gorgeous and extremely beautiful. I bet it's a pre build of some sort they showed off, cause the Track in the video wasn't entirely finished, its a bit washed but you can see even it has improved over Forza 4.

Also we will see what we as gamers care most for the games, while we love to play games dont forget the console they are on are important to everyone form the Publishers/Devs that make your game to you as a person. It defines how we play and will be around for the next 10 years. This is a historical moment that only happens once a decade. While Microsoft certainly "has some fine detailed 'splaning to do" we MUST be patient for E3 and give them the benefit of the doubt. So that they can show us part two of X1 and its line up. Why?

Here is why:
    (Not explained well or not even Answered during the show)

Backup games/Used/Digital games from the 360 to X1....

Microsoft's Illumiroom (where the hell did it go?!?)

Microsoft Points (Gone? forever? or here to stay :] )

Avatars (Dear lord, this is something I've grown accustomed to. There was no mention of it at all of 360 Avatars carried to X1, I hope they do)

Indie Games (what will befall them, er people like me that make them. for platforms like on X1 specifically)

*Edit:
    Price and Launch date (what is up with that? oh well another reason for E3 I guess)

Filibuster sized response, done... E3 here we come! (Prepare to be outraged or surprised, both maybe?)
    Last edited by HasteInTime; 05-22-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by HasteInTime View Post
    Agreed, this was and is all about the console itself. That meant showing everything from Games to Videos to Apps aka Skype (built-in!).
    I have my PC for Skype. There is nothing about Skype I need on my TV.
    Its amazing that they even decided to show any games at all during the conference
    It's also amazing that Sony's shares shot up 10% after they showed games and MS didn't.

For me, it mostly comes down to Danielle and I having to pay up on the Xbox One if we want to play online, while on the PS4 we won't have to pay. Between us, that's about six video games per year. I'd rather have ten games per year on the PS4 (online included) than four games per year on the Xbox One (online taking up the rest of our game cash). I just can't justify that kind of spend.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HasteInTime View Post
    I have my PC for Skype. There is nothing about Skype I need on my TV.
    Its amazing that they even decided to show any games at all during the conference
    It's also amazing that Sony's shares shot up 10% after they showed games and MS didn't.

For me, it mostly comes down to Danielle and I having to pay up on the Xbox One if we want to play online, while on the PS4 we won't have to pay. Between us, that's about six video games per year. I'd rather have ten games per year on the PS4 (online included) than four games per year on the Xbox One (online taking up the rest of our game cash). I just can't justify that kind of spend.
    Yes Skype on the TV, Tablet, or Phone is mostly a want not a need. However I think it pushes our chat quality bar higher for Xbox. Which is needed. Also They showed Forza 5, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Quantum Break. Those are indeed video-games, even if one of them was the one and only exclusive.
    Last edited by HasteInTime; 05-22-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Y'know, I was going to make a move to PC gaming anyway, because it has better... everything, but I could at least understand why someone would prefer console gaming. With the advent of this console generation, it's now cheaper, better, easier and even more smurfing portable to just make a gaming PC.

It's like they are actively trying to sabotage their products and the market they are in.

IGN Clarifies Xbox One Concerns
    Xbox One: What We Do and Don't Know - IGN

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still flummoxed at how such a high level of stupidity could be so widespread. I'm recommending the Xbox 3 for a Darwin Award.

Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    Still flummoxed at how such a high level of stupidity could be so widespread. I'm recommending the Xbox 3 for a Darwin Award.
    @Quint:
    Yeah I know, seems like everyone is in "over-reaction" mode. I kinda expected that though w/everyone's stubborn attitude of "show me games and give me nothing but games" since the unavailing of the Kinect back when most knew it as Natal. Natal is still a better name in my opinion.

I want a console focused on games too but Microsoft did say that they want to give you the best game console and more, well since TV is their new feature they needed to highlight that to show it off and they also figured E3 is when they can talk part two on the meat of the console, Video Games.

At least they showed three games. I'm not really caring for CoD but at least for once its a bit more different and after that every CoD will follow it, just like COD MW did for the 360. I think the conference went well but it didn't go how I might have planned it and presented such a monolith of cool. If they straight up said hey this is what we know it does, this is what is doesn't and this is what it will do. I feel some would have bashed it anyway, it's the 360 launch all over again.

At least we know Microsoft is indeed a human run company and can make mistakes like anyone does. ;]