Thread: Victory!

Default Victory!

Last night my wife and I finally completed FFV! The battle against ExDeath and NeoExDeath went a lot easier than I thought it would, but it was definitely difficult to keep up with attacking and healing... in particular his White Hole attack that both kills and petrifies means that characters who died ended up needing two actions before they could be revived, not just one...

Ultimately, though, it worked out very very well and I kept up with all that was necessary to defeat him. Didn't even have any KO'd characters left over at the end.

I went through all the classes and made a list of those with innate abilities that would give me even the slightest benefit as Mimic or Freelancer, and had all my characters learn as many of those classes as I could on the way to ExDeath. So almost everybody had several damage-dealing, damage-avoiding, or other benefits in addition to their actual job and abilities. None of them completed all of the classes I had on the list, and I tried not to have any two learning the same thing at the same time because I still needed the range of abilities for the random encounters, so each had a different subset of innate abilities.

Some stats about my winning team (who were all Mimics):

1st pos</>ition: Lenna
    Level: 45
    Selected abilities: Blue Magic, +30% HP, +20% HP.
    Mastered classes: Monk (for counter-attack), Samurai (for evade), Mystic Knight (for Barrier), Blue Mage, Geomancer (for general party benefit with avoiding floor damage and suchlike)
    Special equipment: Thornlet
    Strategy: Take advantage of the 4000+ HP I had thanks to the +30% and +20% HP to do the following: 1) wear the HP-draining Thornlet without worrying about dying; 2) use White Wind to heal the entire party up to full, even if Lenna's more than half damaged. Also, cast Big Guard at the beginning of the fight.

2nd pos</>ition: Romney (what I named Bartz, on a whim)
    Level: 46
    Selected abilities: XFight, +20% HP (I hadn't acquired +30% yet), Item
    Mastered classes: Thief (for passages), Ninja (for two weapons), Hunter, Mystic Knight (for Barrier)
    Special Equipment: none
    Strategy: I made a mistake here, having forgotten I wanted to use MgcSword along with XFight. So Romney ended up being fairly useless during the battle except when he Mimiced other characters' actions. But it did give me a good character whose action I didn't feel bad about wasting on Phoenix Downing or Softing downed characters.

3rd pos</>ition: Faris
    Selected abilities: XMagic, Summon, Item
    Mastered classes: Knight (for Cover), Summoner, Blue Mage, Red Mage
    Special equipment: Goldpin
    Strategy: For various reasons, primarily because XMagic takes so long to learn, Faris ended up having almost no innate abilities (she also ended up dying the most frequently, probably not a coincidence). Since Faris is there to do spellcasting, I lowered her defense to take the Goldpin that reduces all MP costs by 50%. That let me use XMagic and Summon to cast Carbuncle and Golem at the very beginning of the battle (and again whenever needed), and then dualcast double Bahamut to do over 6000 damage in one turn. Then everyone else could mimic that dualcast for free!

4th pos</>ition: Cara
    Selected abilities: White magic, Black magic, +30% MP
    Mastered classes: Mystic Knight (for Barrier), White mage, Black mage
    Special equipment: Goldpin
    Strategy: Use white magic to Life2 and/or Heal anybody who needed it, attack with Flare and Holy otherwise. Cara had over 500 MP and didn't run out during the fight at all (whereas Faris had to be elixired one time).

----------

The ending of the game was awesome. FFV is now officially my favorite Final Fantasy.

On to FFVI!
    Last edited by Yerushalmi; 05-21-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Gongratulations! It sure is a tough fight.

The first time I finished the game I did not use X-Fight/Magic at all and used Gil toss with Samurai instead.
    My final save point had around 2 million gil, so I thought I should use it. It hit all parts of Neo-Exdeath with 6000 damage.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Congrats! I don't know why, but when I see 'Romney' I keep thinking of the American.

Gosh. Imagine that scenario.

That's who he was named for. I started the game in the throes of the election.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yerushalmi View Post
    That's who he was named for. I started the game in the throes of the election.
    Fair enough

So, now that you've conquered FFV, what is next on you and your wife's hitlist? What games have you yet to play in the series?

We're going in order, of course. Next is FFVI.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yerushalmi View Post
    We're going in order, of course. Next is FFVI.
    You excited? What are you thoughts going into it?

I know absolutely nothing about it. I'll find out when I start!

It's the internet. Do we know that for sure? Either way, hope you have fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75