Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The First EoFF Official Podcast!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh man, feedback. <3 Thanks heaps. Be sure to let us know what you enjoyed too, so we know what works as well as what needs work.

*thinks of awful ways he can namedrop*
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

To anyone with anything to say about my accent.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

no accents allwd sry

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    no accents allwd sry
    Every single time you say you don't have an accent, I just think of you in a trailer park, barefoot beneath a crusty star spangled banner, braying at anyone who will walk past that MURRCA IS THE BESTEST, USA, USA, USA.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Umm everyone has an accent

I have the worst accent because it's boring and when I went to the UK everyone gave me looks of disgust any time I opened my mouth

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    there's nothing bad about forced transitions/fake segues imo (e.g. "on that note, something completely different"). you wanna stay focused to keep listener focus.
    Yep! That's the overall plan for next time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Locky View Post
    the charming banter of a couple
    Didn't you say nothing with the word 'banter' in it could be good?
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oooh, he's right, you did. Locky hates their charm.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I liked the podcast. It was a little long with a few off topic rants, but that's to be expected with a first podcast. I like that you picked specifics from the forum to talk about (hottest thread in the last few days, etc) and that you congratulated a member on their pregnancy. That's the sort of thing to get people to head back and listen for more. I agree with Mulley's assessment that it should be broken up into more than one podcast if it's going to stay so long and that there should be more name dropping. Honestly, this was the first podcast I actually sat through and it reminded me a lot of the radio stations I listen to. It was well structured, I could hear everyone clearly during the majority of the podcast and it was genuinely a pleasure to listen to it. Great job!

45 minutes isn't long, in fact it's probably standard for podcasts nowadays. However I only lasted 5 minutes. You all disgust me.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

We love you too, Cuch.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Hi there, my name's Mulley. Long time listener, first time caller. I had some thoughts after listening to the show.

Do as much as you can to interact with the forums. It's a much more enjoyable show when you feel like you are part of the discussion and not being talked at. Some possibilities:
    • More name dropping. Everyone gets a warm fuzzy when they hear their name on the air. I think I only heard four or five members names throughout the entire show.
    • Full-on mail bag. You mentioned sending questions to Locky at the end of the show. Have a full-on mail bag where people can send comments, questions, feedback, etc... It would also be cool if people had a way to submit audio commentary/questions so they could "talk" and you could respond on the show. You might consider setting up a "podcast mail bag" user that people send their PMs to so that you can share the account with four or five show hosts in case Locky is MIA or other people doing the podcast need to get to the mail bag for whatever reason.
    • Perhaps create a thread a week ahead of time that will be specifically used and discussed in the next podcast. For example, you might ask everyone what they are up to over the summer, then discuss that over the air. This again helps the forum members feel like they are a part of the show. For example, one of the podcasts I listen to has a "trademark" of listeners sending in bad/corny jokes and one is picked for that week's podcast.

I don't know about the rest of the members, but my usual commute is around half an hour. I would be curious to see how long the members have to listen to the podcast in one sitting. I imagine quite a few will listen in the car, train, bus, etc... Knowing what your average "listener length" is would help to tailor the length of the show to make it easily digestible. You could also look into splitting the show up into 10-15 minute segments and then people can listen to as little or as much as they have time for.

The tangents and side bars are inevitable and fun but a couple of times I found myself ready for the conversation to move on when they went a little long.

Just like you had a rundown of topics at the top of this thread, a quick rundown of what's going to be discussed during the podcast is always a nice touch. You might also consider a somewhat standardized format. This will make it easier for you to generate a show as you don't have to try to throw crap at random into the show and hope it works, especially if you're trying to stay within a certain time constraint of the show length. One possibility:
    • Hello's, introductions, a minute or two of idle banter with required good-natured jabs between hosts.
    • Run-down of the show's schedule/content/topics
    • News/Happenings related to EoFF
    • News/Happenings related to SE and/or the gaming world
    • Main topic 1 - Discussion of forum thread created specifically for podcast
    • Main topic 2 - Something Final Fantasy/SquareEnix'y to discuss
    • Mail bag

Of course, the above might be too structured for your taste and you might want something more organic.

I think that's about it for now. All-in-all I thought the show was well done and you had fun with it, which is the most important part. The audio quality was also very nice and everyone was easy to understand and hear, which always seems to bite a lot of new podcasts in the ass.

Thanks for the wall o text man, detailed feedback is great.

As this was the first episode, we didn't have a mailbag or a dedicated weekly thread to the podcast. I guess this was due to people trying to keep it under wraps so it was more of a surprise. We'll probably start having a discussion thread from now on like that.

You said your commute is roughly 30 minutes. Is this both ways or for the full commute. I personally think that 1 hour for the full podcast length would be ideal. What is the opinion on terms of length?

While I agree with having the stricter schedule, and that there should be some dedicated discussion for the EOFF news and events, and regular news an events (Look forward to my chat on the xbox one). Personally, I feel like at least quarter of the podcast at the start should be about random chats. That's mostly what I listen to podcasts for myself, random nonsense.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cim View Post
    I liked the podcast. It was a little long with a few off topic rants, but that's to be expected with a first podcast. I like that you picked specifics from the forum to talk about (hottest thread in the last few days, etc) and that you congratulated a member on their pregnancy. That's the sort of thing to get people to head back and listen for more. I agree with Mulley's assessment that it should be broken up into more than one podcast if it's going to stay so long and that there should be more name dropping. Honestly, this was the first podcast I actually sat through and it reminded me a lot of the radio stations I listen to. It was well structured, I could hear everyone clearly during the majority of the podcast and it was genuinely a pleasure to listen to it. Great job!

Thanks for the feedback. Did 40 minutes really seem long? As a means of comparison, I listen to 4 podcast on a frequent basis. Shortest ones are around 50 minutes long. Longest ones are 3:30 hours long. My daily commute is 2:50 hours long including breaks, and I listen to a podcast all the way through that. May be a bit excessive.

Personally, I like the idea of name dropping but personally, but I don't know very many people on the forums on the yet, so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with people here. Soon~
    Last edited by Dat Matt; 05-22-2013 at 10:33 PM.

It's not long. I listen to a few Podcasts (Teamtalk, United etc) they're all 40 to 60 mins long. The time is not the issue, neither should be the off-topic banter, anything like that is a plus.

Your issues may be subject matters. Set up next weeks podcasts with questions being answered etc, even trail game tasks for week after and then talk about them, what you found etc. Then maybe devote a section of the podcast to 'general chat' relating to the forums, just don't allow that to turn into a 'mention me' whoring session. Whatever the hot topic is, trout like that.

It's the first one, you'll be grand. the little I heard wasn't awful at all; to be fair.

FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    It's the first one, you'll be grand. the little I heard wasn't awful at all; to be fair.
    You stuck around long enough to get the full force of the poo talk. Clearly that's what we are all here for.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Oh yeah and don't go pulling "heh but here's shakespeare english it sounds different!" on me again Huxley. Old English is not the same as English, it's smurfing dead and thus irrelevant. Modern English is Received Pronunciation, suck it down.
    Shakespeare is early Modern English...Old English is like Beowulf.