Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looong games

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default looong games

this game is just way to long :P haha!!
    im not necesairy saying that its a bad thing. but dont you agree that in quit some times it just feels like a drag (im mostly talking about the running parts)..

i havent finished this game yet.
    i am at hte final boss and i am stuck since i screwed up with the weapons upgrades.

is anyone else stuck anywhere?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It's long in the sense that there's nothing you can do to speed things up for most of the game, as you are forced down the same narrow corridor. You can skip a lot of the exploration in chapter 11, but that's quite literally it. In that sense, it is too long, as for too long you're simply forced to follow the straight path, at least for those of us who enjoy exploration and side quests.

i dunno for me it felt kinda short...i think it feeling short has to do with the fact my timer didn't stop or roll over, and they capped how much i can level between chapters, so i wasn't out grinding for 8 hours at a time between locations... without all the extra grinding and power leveling the game just flew by...

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Raist pretty much got a hole in one with his summary!

I agree with Raistlin but I still love it. However, using random battles would have been better, if you ask me.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I honestly never actually finished XIII. I was bored by the time I hit Calm Lands 2.0 and that'd taken about 40 hours of on rails corridors.

XIII-2 on the other hand I couldn't put down until I'd finished it.

Plus I've lost my XIII save due to it being on my old flatmates PS3 and I have no desire to even attempt replaying it again!

I enjoyed it in Japanese and the German version. The Japanese version is even more rewarding with Kimi ga iru kara.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed playing through the game. Sadly, only the German version, not the Japanese one. Listened to Kimi Ga Iru Kara on youtube though, very nice song.

Yes, it's linear. It's a hallway until much later in the game. But I didn't go into the game expecting anything else in particular. Nor was I disappointed by the end result. FFX is crazy linear, but it was still great. Same with XIII. I never hated the game for what it lacked, I appreciated it for what it had.

I'm playing FFXIII myself right now. It does feel kinda long. It's not as fun or engaging as FFXIII-2, but I definitely enjoy playing it. I've got the whole thing backwards though, having finished the sequel first and all
    This eternity-- it was never your desire. is that not so, Yeul?

Articles
    Blog Entries

It feeels long, but really when you boil it down, it's not that bad length wise. I found it rather short. It is it's post-game that is actually rather long.

Banned

Final Fantasy XIII was great! I really liked the characters and how they changed from the start. It took a long time for stuff to happen (and it only made sense because I read the datalogs!) but it was really fun. I didn't mind that it was long because it meant more and more awesome action scenes

I did play Final Fantasy XIII over Spring Break and I intended to beat it that week. I was blowing off any complaints that I had heard about the game, but after playing Final Fantasy VI, I can see where a lot of the complainers are coming from. I did enjoy playing FFXIII (I re-bought it from the same GameStop my younger brother bought and then re-sold it to) for the reason my brother hated it: the combat system. In fact, the combat system was the main reason I enjoyed the game.

Then, after 40 hours of gameplay, Barthandalus II came along and absolutely destroyed me, even after looking on the internet for strategies. It was smooth sailing up until that point. It looked like I was going to beat my first Final Fantasy game before that point of the game.

Guess skipping the sidequests early on in Chapter 11 wasn't a good idea after all, eh? Because I was more frustrated than I had been at any point of a game in a LOOOONG time. And this is coming from someone who routinely attempts runs on games that are considered "difficult."

Anyways, FFXIII is italicized in my sig because after I finish FFVI (doing a bunch of side-quests now), I will come back to this game and finish it. Even if I have to backtrack to the start of Chapter 11.
    Newer FF player. Learning the ropes. Game in sig is what I plan on playing when the italicized games are finished.

My Checklist (Italics = now playing, Bold = beaten): I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, XIII

I bought my PS3 so I could play XIII and XIII-2.

I thought XIII was actually quite engaging from a cinematic perspective. I thought perhaps it was designed in the way it was as an introduction to the future of console final fantasy games as a whole.

The story is very cinematic and linear, and the combat is very simple, yet robust as you make it to the end.

I found it to be very engaging, and the graphics were just amazing.

The best part of final fantasy games is that they don't end until you take the time to truly defeat them. The stories reflect that gameplay style.

However, XIII is one of the shortest in the entire series, so.

Blog Entries

It feels like I've been running on and on forever and I'm still only on chapter 4. Ugh. Maybe if the game weren't so linear it wouldn't seem as long.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

115 hours to finish everything in XIII. It was fun until the grinding for weapon upgrades, you know? That really pissed me off and, because it was the last thing I did, it kind of soured me on it. But hey, it wasn't as bad as theywho? say.