Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Top 5 Games - SNES Edition

1. Super Metroid - tight controls, perfect nonlinear gameplay, my favorite game of all time.
    2. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - very creative, great graphics, tight controls, just fun to play.
    3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - originator of the true Zelda formula (taking the best elements of LoZ and AoL and improving on them), great difficulty level.
    4. Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars - probably my favorite RPG of all time, since there's technical play involved and it's pretty fast-moving, and also hilarious.
    5. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - peak of the Donkey Kong series, super fun platformer

Honorable mentions: Secret of Mana, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FFIV, FFVI

edit: also, it's Super Famicom (for Family Computer), not Famicon.

So are we or are we not counting emulated Super Famicom games? Because it makes a pretty big difference.

Also, thinking about this question makes me marvel at the vast greatness of the SNES library. It's really incredibly impressive. There are many, many games for that system that I'd still enjoy sitting down to play right now; far more than the systems before, after, or during its reign (although there are, of course, at least a few on each major system).

I grew up with a Mega Drive so sorry if this list isn't up to standards !

1- Chrono Trigger - I love this game ! This should be in everybody's SNES list !

2- Super Metorid- Metorid used to be so fun and a excellent adventure like platformer ! What happened ?

3- MegaMan x- I played this game a few weeks ago and I feel awful for missing out on Megaman for so long. Why life ? Why ??

4 F-Zero- Brrrrrrm goes the car thingy !

5 -Secret of Mana- No Chrono Trigger but it was pretty fun and entertaining !

: Note I didn't add Final Fantasy VI since I grew up with the PlayStation ver and Final Fantasy V since I prefer the GBA ver
    Same with Final Fantasy IV- prefer the DS version. And I prefer the N64/ Wind Waker/ DS Zeldas.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I haven't played a huge amount of games on SNES (I grew up on PC/SEGA/Sony) but I will say that FFV is one hell of an excellent game and easily the best SNES game I've played (via emulation/ports). Chrono Trigger was also pretty rockin', and FFVI was alright. I've not played enough of FFIV recently to really give a valid opinion.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Not invested in SNES yet, so i don't know much about the library.

1- Magical Pop'n.

2- The Great Battle IV

3- Megaman X games

4- Super V.G

5- Ghost Chaser Densei

Also, I like Gundam Wing and Cyber Knight II.

In no particular order

Final Fantasy 3 - yes back then it was called Final Fantasy 3 in North America.

Final Fantasy 2 - yes back then it was called Final Fantasy 2 in North America.

Super Mario World - duhh

Final Fight 3 - I just had to have a beat em up game on my list and this was the one we played the most.

Mega Man X - just so awesome when I was a kid to learn the boss patterns and whatnots.

Default Sigh

I think the thing that makes me saddest about all these lists is the total exclusion of Dragon Quest 5. But I understand why.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

1.) Final Fantasy IV - This is my favorite game of all time, so therefore it is getting the number 1 spot. AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DOOOOO! Okay, seriously, this was the first video game that felt like it was more than just a video game to me. When something as remarkable as that happens, it certainly leaves a positive mental scar.

2.) Chrono Trigger - I have to stop myself from ranting to people about this game when I am drunk. This behavior especially makes things awkward in bars when the women there can only conclude that I am referring to some sort of disease, possibly triggered by something.

3.) EarthBound - Little did I know that Nintendo would make a game that was clearly based off of my hallucinations on ambien. The game's battle system may be basic, and the graphics may be simple, but the charm and wonderful localization makes this game a pleasure to play through every single time. It's on the Wii U Virtual Console now!

4.) Final Fantasy VI - There was a summer after I graduated Jr. High where I played this game, EarthBound, and Chrono Trigger over and over again. It remains the best summer of my entire life.

5.) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Honestly, what can I say about this game? Link has pink hair and it is glorious. Hopefully the 3DS sequel will be at least as half as good.

Honorable Mentions: Mega Man X, Super Mario RPG, Turtules in Time, ActRaiser

Horrible Mentions: Shaq Fu

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I think the thing that makes me saddest about all these lists is the total exclusion of Dragon Quest 5. But I understand why.
    I'm working my way towards a playthrough of the series but have yet to decide which platforms

I've only played DQ 8 and 9 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post
    I'm working my way towards a playthrough of the series but have yet to decide which platforms

I've only played DQ 8 and 9 at this point.
    I personally prefer all the Dragon Quests on their original platforms (or emulated, if necessary, in their original form). But I can see an argument the other way.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

5 Super Mario World
    Back in the day I played this more than anything. A great combination of secret areas and a direct path for you to go through. It would be higher however in recent years I've grown a taste for the Mega Man zero-inertia physics and don't find it as fun as I once did.

4 Final Fantasy 4
    As much as I don't want to include 3 Square titles on the list I really don't like any other SNES games more. This is one of those games I tend to appreciate more and more as time goes by.

3 Final Fantasy 6
    While I still love FF6 it has gradually lowered from my #1 to it's current position. Everyone here already knows what is great about it.

2 Chrono Trigger
    Likewise everyone knows why this is great.

1 Mega Man X
    The first time I ever played this was in 2005.... since then my adoration for it has steadily increased and it is now my favorite SNES game. Funny enough I still can't get into the classic MM games, the dash and wall jumping make the whole series for me. At the moment it is probably a toss up between this and Chrono Trigger for #1, but CT gets enough love as it is.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

1. Final Fantasy VI
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    4. Breath of Fire II
    5. Super Mario RPG

Honorable Mentions:
    - Blackthorne
    - DKC series
    - Super Punch Out
    - Super Mario Kart
    - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I liked VI better.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I liked VI better.
    That's too bad, since it isn't as good. Some people like Final Fantasy X more than Final Fantasy VI, too.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I liked VI better.
    III for me. (SPOILER)But that's not SNES/SF *shrug* (SPOILER)Unless you count the re-release on the SF *double shrug*
    Figaro Castle