Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Top 5 Games - SNES Edition

Okay, okay, lets get down to it. SNES.

5. The 7th Saga - The 7th Saga.. What can I say to really describe my feelings towards this game? Difficult as hell? Frustrating? Trust issues? Yeah, these all sound about right. This game is, in my opinion, is an overlooked, innovative game with a few flaws that keep it from really shining, but it still holds up and is a very enjoyable experience. Assuming you're patient of course. If not, then run. Run while you can. The story is actually really great, yet simple, the graphics and music aren't anything really special, but still appeal to me this day, you can choose from 7 different heroes at the beginning of the game, each with their own strengths and weaknesses (Mostly weaknesses though, you'll understand if you play it), which ends up giving it some replay value. Overall, this is a great SNES RPG that I'd recommend to anyone. Anyone except the impatient and ill tempered of course, but still. Oh, and on a side note, the Crystal Ball function was AWESOME.

4. Earthbound - What do I really need to say about this game that hasn't already been said before? Honestly, I told myself that when I made this list, I wouldn't do a rant on a game that EVERYONE knew about it. I will say that, for me, this game is one of the most enjoyable, quirkiest experiences I've ever had. I absolutely loved it, leading it to claim spot number four on my list.

3. Chrono Trigger - Obligatory Chrono Trigger on list, enough said. And on a side note JUST to have something interesting to say, I DIG the soundtrack. Especially that Main Theme and the Battle Theme.

2- Seiken Dentetsu 3 - I'm gonna go ahead and say it, I mean, someone has too.. This game is FAR better than Secret of Mana was. It did exactly what a sequel SHOULD do. Expand on the original concept. This game does that brilliantly. Given I've only played an Rom of it, it was still one of the best SNES games ever. I'd recommend this title to anyone. For me, this was THE greatest RPG on the SNES, rivaling only Chrono Trigger.

1. Super Mario All Stars - If you've heard of it, its basically the first 3 NES games, remastered for the SNES. If you're like me and you LOVE Super Mario Bros 3, then you'll love this. Wait.. Okay, okay, I do only like this for the remastered Super Mario Bros 3, but the other 2 were nice little bonuses!

"One does not simply choose between Black and White magic."
    Awesome picture courtesy of Lockharted. Thank you!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Will SD3 ever get an official US release? You'd think SE would put it on iPad or something at this point.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mage Coffman View Post
    5. The 7th Saga - The 7th Saga.. What can I say to really describe my feelings towards this game? Difficult as hell? Frustrating? Trust issues? Yeah, these all sound about right. This game is, in my opinion, is an overlooked, innovative game with a few flaws that keep it from really shining, but it still holds up and is a very enjoyable experience. Assuming you're patient of course. If not, then run. Run while you can. The story is actually really great, yet simple, the graphics and music aren't anything really special, but still appeal to me this day, you can choose from 7 different heroes at the beginning of the game, each with their own strengths and weaknesses (Mostly weaknesses though, you'll understand if you play it), which ends up giving it some replay value. Overall, this is a great SNES RPG that I'd recommend to anyone. Anyone except the impatient and ill tempered of course, but still. Oh, and on a side note, the Crystal Ball function was AWESOME.
    You are a sick, sick individual...
    Figaro Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Mage Coffman View Post
    You are a sick, sick individual...
    Believe me, I've received worse for liking this game.. Then again it DID scar me forever, in a way that will forever leave me as a sick individual.. I need a psychiatrist.

"One does not simply choose between Black and White magic."
    Awesome picture courtesy of Lockharted. Thank you!

For me, it's:

1. Dragon Quest V: A game with an awesome story, multiple outcomes (you chose your own bride), monster catching, and an AMAZING soundtrack.

2. Final Fantasy VI: Quite possibly my favorite Final Fantasy for it's amazing music, graphics, Esper system, story, and characters.

3. EarthBound/MOTHER 2: While this is my least favorite of the MOTHER series (my favorite series of all time!!), it's still TONS of fun. Quirky characters (who could forget Mr. Saturn?), nice story, AWESOME music, and overall just fun to play.

4. Dragon Quest VI: I really enjoy this entry of Dragon Quest for it's unique job system (I feel the job system is better than FFV's!). You master jobs, and keep everything you learned when you switch to a different job (and get special jobs too!). For example, master Cleric and Mage, unlock Sage. Or, you could different jobs to combine random skills (not limited, like FFV's), such as Warrior, Martial Artist, Monster Trainer, and Dancer. The job system alone makes this game a blast to play.

5. Tales of Phantasia: This game is..so detailed! Everything looks beautiful, though the music is average, and the gameplay is REALLY fun. Filled with likable characters, a cool story, and the linear motion battle system, this game is enjoyable every time.

That's my opinion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Right now I'm feeling total shame for not including DQ5 on this list! Its arguably the best RPG ever made. It would be a close battle with Tactics Ogre for #1.

I might've missed it because I consider it a much more recent game, having only finished the excellent DS version. I did play a big chunk of the SNES fanslation, and it has aged pretty damn well, totally playable.

Hmmm.

1. Super Mario

2. Killer Instinct (don't remember the game number)

3. Castlevania

4: TNMT

5: some Captain America game that was the first game I ever saw.