Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Class will you start off as?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Well I started as an archer because seeing as I was most known for being "that hunter blogger" during my WoW playing career it seemed appropriate. I don't know if I'm going to stay that, though.

Good question. I've been playing primarily as Archer during Phase 3. I also went a decent way as Pugilist, which I found more visceral and fun, although I think the "Greased Lightning" combo might get tedious after a while.

The downside of being an Archer in party play is that it's considered a "DPS" class, but if you do more damage than the tank, you're going to become the mobs' target. I died a bunch of times in my first dungeon. So it's kind of ironic that you have to measure your damage as a DPS. (I'm assuming tanks have some kind of aggro-drawing skill, but they didn't use it too much in the parties I was in.)

I'm interested in trying the Arcanist/Scholar path, even though I'm not a spellcaster kind of player. But Phase 4 is probably going to have a ton of them, so it might be a good opportunity to try out a Gladiator or Conjurer.

Picking a race and name is an even tougher call, since it can't be changed. I like that you get to make a character on each of 8 servers for the cheapest subscription, but I'm probably only going to stick with one character for the duration of my involvement with the game, so I want to come up with something good.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    The downside of being an Archer in party play is that it's considered a "DPS" class, but if you do more damage than the tank, you're going to become the mobs' target. I died a bunch of times in my first dungeon. So it's kind of ironic that you have to measure your damage as a DPS. (I'm assuming tanks have some kind of aggro-drawing skill, but they didn't use it too much in the parties I was in.)
    If all a tank had to do in order to retain hate was spam skills, the game would be boring as hell. Everyone should learn not to spam the best skills they have over and over and to know when they are doing too much too hard. The idea is that you learn to plan out your actions dependant on how things are going. There used to be a hate bar so you could measure how far you could push it... I don't know if there still is, I certainly haven't noticed it
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I tanked Tam-Tara as an Archer. It was pretty pro.

(SPOILER)It was like 3am and we couldn't find a Gladiator or Marauder so we had a party of Archer, Conjurer, Pugilist, Lancer - the plan was the Lancer would "tank" but that didn't really work out as it usually resulted in me pulling with Shadowbind so we had to handle less mobs at a time. Then I'd just aggro everything anyway through normal DPS so through alternating my own pots, Cure and the Conjurers healing - I tanked the whole dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    If all a tank had to do in order to retain hate was spam skills, the game would be boring as hell. Everyone should learn not to spam the best skills they have over and over and to know when they are doing too much too hard. The idea is that you learn to plan out your actions dependant on how things are going.
    Yep, I get that, and it was easy to adjust, but it seems like a flaw in the gameplay mechanics that you can't do the damage you're capable of just because the monsters apparently can do complex mathematics to determine your damage-per-second is the highest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Yup, me too. Maybe it was just my luck, but tanks were hard to come by in phase 3 so far. So we did a mission with three damage people and a healer, and it actually worked out fine. I've only had a balanced party (tank, healer, two damage classes) one time, and while it made things easier to stick to the basic formula, it wasn't impossible to deal with different party configurations.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like Bards, so I'll try to make one.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post

(SPOILER)It was like 3am and we couldn't find a Gladiator or Marauder so we had a party of Archer, Conjurer, Pugilist, Lancer - the plan was the Lancer would "tank" but that didn't really work out as it usually resulted in me pulling with Shadowbind so we had to handle less mobs at a time. Then I'd just aggro everything anyway through normal DPS so through alternating my own pots, Cure and the Conjurers healing - I tanked the whole dungeon.
    Aulayna for badass archer!