Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camping

Oh man, camping! We used to go as a family all the time!

I also went last weekend, but it was this little baby cabin so I don't know if I can really consider it camping.

I'm getting a small one person tent so that I can guerilla camp and hike from the Pacific Ocean to the Sea of Japan. Camping is seriously awesome. I'm so sick of the city.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    I love to camp but I have no one with whom I may camp. And I am not into camping alone.
    You should camp with sharky and I and we will have fun and finally meet and concrete plans will motivate us to actually go camp

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would have enjoyed my last camping trip a few years ago but I had a constant barrage of "I wanna go home, it's cold, its itchy, there are bugs... wahwahwah." from two of the women that went with us. So i ended up wanting to kill myself the entire smurfing time. So yeah I enjoy it as long as weak-ass folk don't come along.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Camping is pretty cool. The last time I went was in 2010 with some coworkers. We brought a bunch of beer and food to grill and it was awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

We used to go camping all the time when I was younger. I loved it. As I grew older it slowed a bit, but I've gone with friends a couple of times, most notably we went camping for a friend's birthday a while ago and oh my god was it fun. It was the first time I properly went with just friends and we were over the legal drinking age, needless to say it was insanely awesome. I ended up in a freezing cold lake... in my underpants... quite inebriated.

The camping we did when I was younger was fun for different reasons, my Step Dad at the time was a massive Australian nature buff, so I learned a lot about native wildlife and weird foods that could be found out in the bush and just general Australian survival stuff. Unfortunately I've forgotten most of that now

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I dislike camping. A lot. To be fair the only experience I have of camping was with my parents and it was pretty much the most unfun thing I can think of from my childhood.

The only time I will tolerate it is when camping out overnight to get Centre Court tickets for Wimbledon.

A friend of mine mentioned camping just a few days ago, and I linked him this random episode of Corner Gas. Brent and I have the same idea of a perfect camping trip.

But seriously, camping is more appealing to me than my mom's idea of a relaxing vacation on a beach in Florida. Wearing a jacket and pants beneath the shade of trees makes for a much more pleasant time than wearing only a pair of shorts while directly exposed to intense sunlight. No amount of insect bites, poison ivy, or food poisoning that I could possibly accrue can begin to compare to the agony of the blistering sunburns which I am so prone to.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm really good at squatting to pee. I really need to invest in a pad for under my sleeping bag though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Værn View Post
    But seriously, camping is more appealing to me than my mom's idea of a relaxing vacation on a beach in Florida.
    I just avoid both.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    I love to camp but I have no one with whom I may camp. And I am not into camping alone.
    You should camp with sharky and I and we will have fun and finally meet and concrete plans will motivate us to actually go camp

I've done lots of "go to the lake with a tent, beer, food, and grill out" style camping. I've also done lots of hiking into an area, setting up a light camp, and then hiking back out.

I like "low impact/no trace" or subsistence style hiking and camping, but I suppose it's not as laid back and carefree as what a lot of campers prefer.

I enjoy it because you have minimal gear, minimal people, and a focus on observing the wildlife around you. If you do it properly, it really does give you the opportunity to see things you would have normally missed, and teaches you more about things around you than you'd normally learn. Plus you can see areas the average day hiker doesn't get exposed to.

I dig it. Gonna buy a canoe this year and try to get out there.

Blog Entries

I only like camping if there's a body of water close enough to go swim in and is secluded at the same time.

My dad bought me a little Fisher Price tent when I was little. My big brother and I once tried to for real camp in it out in the woods in our back yard. But then it rained and the tent, needless to say, wasn't water proof.

Aside from that, "camping" for us involved going to the lake on our boat during the late spring/summer/early fall - pretty much during the warm season when we could swim. We had a small Sea Ray boat with a cabin (master "bed", mini sink & toilet/shower combo & a little cuddy cabin for me and my siblings). We'd stock up on food and beer and diet pepsi for my dad and whatever the hell us kids ate and we'd go drop anchor at this little island way far away from the marina. We'd stay at least a weekend - swimming, innertubing, kneeboarding, etc. It was always a lot of fun. I miss those days.

If I go for -real- camping now, I've gotta have an air mattress. I have a bad back. Sleeping on the hard ground with a flimsy sleeping bag for cushioning just wouldn't cut it.