Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cities and Scale in Final Fantasy

Default Cities and Scale in Final Fantasy

So I was just reminiscing about Final Fantasy 7 and Midgar. I remember playing it for the first time. The game really amazed me. I had really only played Golden China so I never really played any immersive games and on PlayStation I only had got Porsche Challenge (racing) and Crash Bandicoot 2 (platformer), so I was quite limited in choice. Then I played 7 and it felt like I was part of this immersive, massive city. Even though you never got to explore very much of it, it felt like a real city.

Of course, the real wow moment for me was after the Shinra building, which took about 10 hours to get to, so I thought the game must nearly be over. Then I entered the world map and truly realised how big the game actually was. That was a very special moment for me.

Anyway, I think the point for me was that Midgar was the only city that truly felt like a city in Final Fantasy. The pre-Playstation ones can be dismissed mostly because hardware limitations prevented them from being large enough to get that feel (I'm sure I'm going to be slated for saying it, but it's true for me), but none of the others really had anything that matched it, except for maybe Rabanastre in XII.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that other cities felt like cities in the Final Fantasy series? I also don't think it's just a Final Fantasy thing getting it right. The Imperial City in Elder Scrolls doesn't really feel like a city either. The only game that has really got the city feel that I have played would be Grand Theft Auto.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I remember getting to the Shinra HQ and also thinking the game was over!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I agree, Midgar really felt like a major city, which is not something that can be said for most FF towns (or RPG towns in general). FFXII was better on this, though even most of those cities didn't have the atmosphere of Midgar.

Esthar is pretty damn big. I've never found my way around that place.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Midgar and Lindblum felt truly large, unlike many others in the series.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Yeah Lindblum had a gigantic vibe. Rabanastre was also like that too.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Of course, Midgar has many story sections,residences, side areas and a lot of interiors, it definitely felt like city despite being super deformed/chibi. I think Esthar and lindblum are big too but not as big as Midgar.

Rabanastre feels like bypassing open-area plaza or an MMO guild. :/

I was truly impressed by Esthar myself. A city so big that is invisible to the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by TreasonWall View Post
    Esthar is pretty damn big. I've never found my way around that place.
    I never got Esthar as being that big. It just felt like a whole lot of roads leading to places. There weren't really any interiors locations to it. Deling and Dollet seemed more like cities to me, even though they were smaller in game space.

Most RPG towns are just that: Towns.

Midgar is one of the few cities that actually feel like a city.

It is something that Square seems to have lost (Academia says hello), but the feel of Midgar is something that we'll probably never see again, because Midgar was approached differently to most other cities.

Midgar was designed with the multiple areas in mind. It was designed with a relatively self-contained story (the fight against Shinra), and designed to highlight and serve that story. It was almost built like a world of another game, with different zones and areas. You got to explore the infrastructure and the populated areas each.

Rabanastre is the closest we probably get, but it has nowhere about it that feels unique. Every quarter of the city is the same. There aren't the different areas for the different classes of citizenry. There are no run down areas. There are no areas featuring brand new architecture, none featuring the ancient structures of the city.

This is one of the major problems with cities and towns in RPGs. They are all the same. Look at Kalm. It's a mining town, and that's pretty much all it is. Corel, same thing. Rocket Town is built around the rocket. The architecture, the town design, it's all pretty much identical all the way through each of these places.

Now look at your home city. Do you have a downtown area? A suburb? An industrial area? A park? A slum?

And, as one final note on Midgar: Everything in it is separate. This doesn't seem like a big thing, but it is. Midgar has neighborhoods. The people of Sector 7 know each other, they're a tightly knit community, but they only know of Wall Market as a shopping center. When the plate comes down, it's a tragedy for all of Midgar, and yet the people in other sectors are also somewhat distanced from it, because it didn't happen to their community. This sense of distinct communities, of groups that are separated, yet still part of a greater whole, is huge.

Not only is Midgar more reflective of a real city in structure (general structure, not the floating pizza thing, smart alecks), but it's also far more reflective of the way communities within real cities grown and interact with each other.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Here we go again.

The human mind likes originality. When you get bored of something old you try something new. But you know the retort - just because it's old doesn't mean you throw it away.

The challenge for any author is bringing any plot you choose into the modern age. Final Fantasy successfully does that. It even keeps to the past better. Something we're all unfamiliar with not being born in those ages.

Side-bar: You could say FF has the best mixture of realims. Sci-Fi is all about big bad alien clobbering humanity. The Borg, The Covenant, The Skedar, and Others.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Rabanastre is the closest we probably get, but it has nowhere about it that feels unique. Every quarter of the city is the same. There aren't the different areas for the different classes of citizenry. There are no run down areas. There are no areas featuring brand new architecture, none featuring the ancient structures of the city.
    What about Lowtown?

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    What about Lowtown?
    Was thinking that exact same thing.

Blog Entries

Lindblum and even Alexandria both felt huge to me! Trust me, I know when something feels huge! I still get lost in Esthar.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Lindblum and even Alexandria both felt huge to me! Trust me, I know when something feels huge! I still get lost in Esthar.
    Esthar is a good example of how not to make a city. Sure, it was huge, but it was also horribly designed, and relatively empty. The massive walkways make no sense, because there are no exits, except at the, what, five buildings that you can visit in the city? You get this view of a big, futuristic city, but it's all in the background. There's no way to access any of it. Who would build a main street that bypasses 98% of the buildings in a city?

The only one worse than Esthar that I can remember is Academia. No one would ever, ever live in a city like that. The streets, in addition to being incredibly unsafe, are simply horribly put together. You couldn't even go to the store for milk without taking twenty seven turns and probably getting lost.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.