Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: League of Legends

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default League of Legends

Do you play? If so, what's your username and favorite character. My username is Reekal so feel free to add me.

If you don't play, you should because it's free and miles better than any free RTS games I've played before. The characters and abilities are pretty fun. I love looking up their "lore" cards, but there are abilities that are just flat out dumb, like the earth shark...

lol.jpg

I just started playing and so far liking some of the assassin characters. We just had a very long and close matched game like "36 vs. 37" toward the end. Also becoming fond of tank type characters even though they're slow. Teemo and shrooms are adorbs.

Another one of these? Wonder how many posts it will get this time.

My main account is Eldris, my smurf is Asteroid Dentist. I only use the latter to see how arrogant and terrible the low-level community is, which is mainly due to the obscene amount of toxic smurfs that exist. I feel sorry for anyone who tries to start LoL at this point.

I am most comfortable with support and is, for me, the most enjoyable role and the one that is easiest to play in terms of actually getting to play it. Nobody wants to support because they think it is boring (they're just bad at it). I enjoy an aggressive play style, so my favorite supports are Leona and Thresh, though control supports like Lulu and Janna are also really fun. I really like Karma, but she doesn't really fit within the current meta because of her redesigned kit. Fun, but overall one of the more useless supports overall. Yorick is a very non-traditional support pick that I love paying because it throws people for a loop and, even with the low gold amounts, you can still 1v2 some people or live long enough where your team can do some damage.

I can play AD (Attack Damage) Carry and Mid with reasonable success and can play Top somewhat depending on who I lane against. It is my weakest role, outside of jungle which I refuse to play due to the blame game that exists around the role. For AD, I prefer Miss Fortune, Caitlyn, or Varus. For Mid, Ziggs is probably my favorite AP Caster, with Ahri and Anivia being tied for a close second. I don't play top enough to have a favorite champion.

The community isn't as bad as the post might lead some people to belief but it also isn't the best in the gaming world. There are some significant problems that Riot needs to address and, hopefully, will do so soon. Overall, the game is enjoyable but is way more fun to play with a group of 5.

Main: Neko V
    Smurf: Rainbrö Däsh
    I've mostly been playing ARAMs since the new queue was added.
    Why does the Sivir in that screenshot have 5 golem spirits and a lizard spirit?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

You should spice up your match history a bit. Throw caution to the wind and do something incredibly stupid every once in a while. Make people double take when they look at your builds.

On a related note, while playing ARAMs last night I got to play LeBlanc for the first time ever. Then I got to play her again the very next game. My team won both games, but I still have absolutely no idea how to play LeBlanc.

Used to play, got bored and sick of the incredibly hostile population, quit.

It was one of my first MOBAs. I have to say, the genre has some potential, but it's way too limiting. The most fun I had with it was the co-op battles against bots (of which there are, like, five). But even then, the players just got worse and worse as I got higher, and the gameplay got way too focused. I'd love some additional objectives or something other than just random a random death battle.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

It was one of my first MOBAs. I have to say, the genre has some potential, but it's way too limiting. The most fun I had with it was the co-op battles against bots (of which there are, like, five). But even then, the players just got worse and worse as I got higher, and the gameplay got way too focused. I'd love some additional objectives or something other than just random a random death battle.
    Not sure how long ago it was when you quit but they completely re-did the AI last year and there's now like a roster of 30-40 bots that the AI will pick from.

As for the community, ever since /ALL chat got disabled by default and they added the Honor System that lets you commend people with awards like "Friendly" "Helpful" "Teamworker" "Honorable Opponent" etc the community has been getting a lot better. Especially combined with the very public bannings of high profile players on the eSports scene who were being dicks to people. It's definitely shifting, slowly but surely, into a more positive environment.

The only real places or rage now are smurf accounts trolling people or Ranked Game rage at the level cap.

The new ARAM mode is also addictive as heck. Dominion is awesome too even though most people seem to forget it exists!

But yeah they have a very successful and profitable eSports business around the standard 5v5 map so I doubt they'll do much to that, but they certainly seem to be experimenting more with optional objectives etc in the other maps.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

JiroKid. NA server. I'm pretty excellent, add me.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I play on the North American server as Orogo. I have a very small champion pool that consists mainly of Twisted Fate played mid lane.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

I play on EU West and my name is Tharugus

LET THE HAMMER FALL

I play on EU West
    I am so, so sorry.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My name on there is scootentien. I've only played twice so far, but it is pretty fun. I have no idea what I'm doing in there though.

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

I'm Nibb on US Server, over 3000 games played and own every champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Not sure how long ago it was when you quit but they completely re-did the AI last year and there's now like a roster of 30-40 bots that the AI will pick from.

As for the community, ever since /ALL chat got disabled by default and they added the Honor System that lets you commend people with awards like "Friendly" "Helpful" "Teamworker" "Honorable Opponent" etc the community has been getting a lot better. Especially combined with the very public bannings of high profile players on the eSports scene who were being dicks to people. It's definitely shifting, slowly but surely, into a more positive environment.

The only real places or rage now are smurf accounts trolling people or Ranked Game rage at the level cap.

The new ARAM mode is also addictive as heck. Dominion is awesome too even though most people seem to forget it exists!

But yeah they have a very successful and profitable eSports business around the standard 5v5 map so I doubt they'll do much to that, but they certainly seem to be experimenting more with optional objectives etc in the other maps.
    It was a while ago.

League of Legends Victory.jpg

That's the only screenshot I have from when I played. Version 1.36. So it's been a little while.

News of more bots is welcome.

I've heard that Riot had been trying to fix the problems with the hostile community, but I hadn't really heard of any success that they had. And it was an extremely widespread problem, even when I was just doing bot games.

I also don't like how seriously people take it. I played Ashe as my main (whenever I could, I hated that she was one of the most common free characters and someone would grab her first half the time), and I like working up my build and taking time in a match. Too many of the players just focused on winning, instead of having fun. I mean, I know that's kind of the point of the game, but at the same time, it's not what I find fun.

Maybe I'll try it again for the extra modes at some point, but if it stays focused so much on the 5v5 and eSports, I don't think I'll stick with it if they haven't added in some new play styles.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I've heard that Riot had been trying to fix the problems with the hostile community, but I hadn't really heard of any success that they had. And it was an extremely widespread problem, even when I was just doing bot games.
    They have done some great work in attempting to clean the community up. The things that Aulayne mentioned have done a great job in moving in the right direction. No community will be 100% perfect, but Riot has done a pretty good job so far. The complaints mainly stem from the fact that when you get a toxic player, they are typically really toxic and that is what sticks with you. When you lose a game because of an AFK it stands out more than winning a game because the other team has an AFK or just simply a win. We typically focus on the bad over the good.

I also don't like how seriously people take it. I played Ashe as my main (whenever I could, I hated that she was one of the most common free characters and someone would grab her first half the time), and I like working up my build and taking time in a match. Too many of the players just focused on winning, instead of having fun. I mean, I know that's kind of the point of the game, but at the same time, it's not what I find fun.
    There are people who take it too seriously but there are also people that do not seem to grasp that while, yes, this is a game, winning matters significantly more than losing. There is a time and a place for messing around: ranked games should always be taken seriously because there is more to it than simply playing the game. You are playing for rank, status, and a position in the upper echelon of the community. Normals, while less serious, should still be taken seriously to a certain point. There are people who play only Normals because they are either afraid or do not care about the perils of ranked play. Trying out a stupid build for the first time, or learning a champion from the very ground up, is probably not something you should do in a normal because it effects 4 other people on your team if you are less effect than you should be. Also, winning is very fun. Familiarizing yourself with a champion and build can, and should, be done in Bot games (or custom) before entering PvP. ARAM (All Random, All Mid) is a free-for-all fun fest and nobody should take it seriously. You still get people who do it from time-to-time, and those cannot be escaped, but for the most part ARAM is a place for silliness to occur. They are, potentially, adding a 1v1/2v2 map with objective-based winning beyond destroying the enemy Nexus: first team to 100 CS, First Blood (1v1) and 2 kills (2v2), and first to destroy a tower. It seems like it would be more laid back and fun, but it is not released yet so who knows what the community will do when they get their hands on it.

Overall, the community is not as bad as some people, including myself, characterize it as but it still could use some work on behalf of the non-toxic members and Riot as a whole. Some of the best advice I have been given, and given to others, is that when you start to feel angry or upset at your team for no reason you should stop talking in All Chat, give only basic information to your team, and then once the game is over get up and go do something else. Do not queue for a game if your last one was enough to make you angry or upset. Toxic behavior breeds toxic behavior.