Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: League of Legends

Blog Entries

Why don't ya'll get with the times and play some DoTA 2

I have heard even worse things about the DotA community.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I've heard that Riot had been trying to fix the problems with the hostile community, but I hadn't really heard of any success that they had. And it was an extremely widespread problem, even when I was just doing bot games.
    They have done some great work in attempting to clean the community up. The things that Aulayne mentioned have done a great job in moving in the right direction. No community will be 100% perfect, but Riot has done a pretty good job so far. The complaints mainly stem from the fact that when you get a toxic player, they are typically really toxic and that is what sticks with you. When you lose a game because of an AFK it stands out more than winning a game because the other team has an AFK or just simply a win. We typically focus on the bad over the good.
    This is true. But I do know that I was coming across a large portion (about 20% of the people I played with) of hostile community members, and was also noticing a trend where the higher level I reached, the higher the percentage was.

I also don't like how seriously people take it. I played Ashe as my main (whenever I could, I hated that she was one of the most common free characters and someone would grab her first half the time), and I like working up my build and taking time in a match. Too many of the players just focused on winning, instead of having fun. I mean, I know that's kind of the point of the game, but at the same time, it's not what I find fun.
    There are people who take it too seriously but there are also people that do not seem to grasp that while, yes, this is a game, winning matters significantly more than losing. There is a time and a place for messing around: ranked games should always be taken seriously because there is more to it than simply playing the game. You are playing for rank, status, and a position in the upper echelon of the community.
    One of the many reasons why I don't play ranked games.

Normals, while less serious, should still be taken seriously to a certain point. There are people who play only Normals because they are either afraid or do not care about the perils of ranked play. Trying out a stupid build for the first time, or learning a champion from the very ground up, is probably not something you should do in a normal because it effects 4 other people on your team if you are less effect than you should be. Also, winning is very fun.
    Winning may be fun to some people. Personally, I prefer playing the actual game way over the result. I have way more fun losing a forty five minute good fight than winning a ten minute face-stomp battle.

In fact, longer fights in general are way more fun.

But, again, not really a problem for me, because I play bot battles almost exclusively (which is part of why I was so shocked that the community was so hostile).

Familiarizing yourself with a champion and build can, and should, be done in Bot games (or custom) before entering PvP.
    Eh, I really have no interest in PvP. So I like bot games, and play them pretty much all the time. The main problem, though, is that the matches are way, way too short. Again, the entire community seems just focused on winning as quickly as possible, which is not the most fun way to play.

Although I tried out the Domination mode last night, for my first game in a couple years. And, geez, is it different. You don't really have a choice except to press for a win in that one because of the constantly ticking counters (I was trying to win anyway, since I was so out of practice, but we came really close to losing, which never happened in straight 5v5 Nexus fights).

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really, really wish that maps were about twice as long as they tend to be. I want more mid point objectives that will stretch the fights out, and more health for the Nexus on Domination mode. Longer games are better!

ARAM (All Random, All Mid) is a free-for-all fun fest and nobody should take it seriously. You still get people who do it from time-to-time, and those cannot be escaped, but for the most part ARAM is a place for silliness to occur.
    Yeah, I think this is a "no" for me. All random is problematic because I have enough trouble getting the heroes I want, I'd never get one I enjoyed playing with random selection.

And forcing everyone to the mid would probably just make things go faster, which I am against.

They are, potentially, adding a 1v1/2v2 map with objective-based winning beyond destroying the enemy Nexus: first team to 100 CS, First Blood (1v1) and 2 kills (2v2), and first to destroy a tower. It seems like it would be more laid back and fun, but it is not released yet so who knows what the community will do when they get their hands on it.
    Those options sound a lot better, as long as they're compatible with bots. At least in a 1v1 I could set my own pace.

Although, while I'm at it, why are there no solo play options? I tried setting up to invite my own party members, didn't invite anyone, and started the game... And it matched me with four others anyway. Why? The most fun I remember having with this game was when a player dropped anyway (actually, an hour long 2v5 battle where we lost three players was the most fun). If it's not PvP, you don't need balanced sides.

I'd love an option to solo queue for 1v3 and actually queue solo.

Overall, the community is not as bad as some people, including myself, characterize it as but it still could use some work on behalf of the non-toxic members and Riot as a whole. Some of the best advice I have been given, and given to others, is that when you start to feel angry or upset at your team for no reason you should stop talking in All Chat, give only basic information to your team, and then once the game is over get up and go do something else. Do not queue for a game if your last one was enough to make you angry or upset. Toxic behavior breeds toxic behavior.
    If I'm in chat, it's to ask for advice or compliment someone. We're fighting bots, who cares if you're not perfect?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After a few games, I finally figured out to build up a great offensive strategy with Teemo. Also lol mushroom deaths.

gonna lern 2day.jpg

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

'dem shrooms

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Ok, so I tried DotA2. Not impressed.

First, the aesthetics. League of Legend looks better.

As for the rest, I sum it up with "more complicated, less intuitive". The shop interface is clunky, far harder to browse, and includes the completely pointless recipe items. There's the extra "level up" button which adds an extra button press to the level up process, for no reason. I haven't found any way to preview hero abilities or play styles, which is pretty dang huge, as I have to keep quitting bot queues over and over just so I can browse through the hero list. And I haven't found any nice way to preview items either, and with an item list as large as they have, that's another huge disappointment.

Overall, it just feels unpolished and inferior to League of Legends. I know that as a genre, MOBAs are based around an extremely similar setup to begin with, but otherwise, I'd be calling this a knock-off.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Ok, so I tried DotA2. Not impressed.

First, the aesthetics. League of Legend looks better.

As for the rest, I sum it up with "more complicated, less intuitive". The shop interface is clunky, far harder to browse, and includes the completely pointless recipe items. There's the extra "level up" button which adds an extra button press to the level up process, for no reason. I haven't found any way to preview hero abilities or play styles, which is pretty dang huge, as I have to keep quitting bot queues over and over just so I can browse through the hero list. And I haven't found any nice way to preview items either, and with an item list as large as they have, that's another huge disappointment.

Overall, it just feels unpolished and inferior to League of Legends. I know that as a genre, MOBAs are based around an extremely similar setup to begin with, but otherwise, I'd be calling this a knock-off.
    We don't tend to agree on a lot of things but everything you've said accurately summarises why I'm not a DOTA2 fan either.

CorneliusSavarin, NA server.

I can play bots, or as serious as you want. Whatever. Main support, can do ADC/Jungle, then Top, lastly Mid. But have champs for all roles.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

So I've never lost an ARAM as Nami.

That continued today:

namiaram.jpg

Who needs to die and shop?

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but if any of you ever see diediediediedie online, please tell him to do the dishes.

Articles

I used to be obsessed with League. When I was supposed to be doing work for my dissertation and needed a break, I would play a game. This usually happened every twenty minutes so I never got around to actually working on my dissertation in good time. I enjoyed how the games usually played out. If you got the early advantage by playing safe and waiting to catch out the opponent, then rolling with that to win. This usually is how we played during my time as support on bot lane for the year or so when I played. There were two main issues that caused me to actually kick the addiction though. Both of which related to time.

When I started work following Uni, I came home from work just after 6. This means that I had around 4 hours of leisure time (incuding getting ready for work/dinner etc) when I came home. This would mean I could reasonably fit in 4 games of league a night, if I tried. Problem is, I would like to play a single game and then do something else with my evening due to the limited time I now had. This means that my first game of the day had to be a win. If I did not win, I would need to play again and again until I did win, meaning my evening could be eaten up if I lost over and over. This lead me to stop playing ranked, and start playing against AI. If I could guarantee the 150Ip bonus as well as having time to check the internet, play other games, spend time with Miss Shauna etc.

It's at that point the game became boring. Without the incentive of playing against players, there was no drive to get better. There was very little chance of a lose, so I would play a single game, win and log out. The reason I became interested in playing disappeared so I quit. I now spend most my evenings playing vidjas or watching anime. Which I can feel far more accomplished doing that farming currency for a game I was unlikely to play properly again.

And that's my story why I've not signed into league in 8 months.

hdrift on EUW
    Making a slow come back since 2008

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

FYI I jumped ship to Oceania.

Ranked players are still just as smurfing retarded.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Some Mitten Lover Sir Lancealot's Avatar

SirLancealot1 on the Oceania server.