Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Just beat it too!

(SPOILER)I thought the end was great... Kind of.

What got me was the Fireflys had been doing this for a while, and made no progress, yet kept at it. (Mind you, it could have been a lie from Joel, but at the same time it makes more sense that he was telling the truth. I mean they discovered the mutation and plan pretty god damn fast, and decided to operate that soon? They had to have done this before.)

What kind of kills the ending a bit though was that no one took any kind of believable action. Hey, there's a guy trying to resusitate a girl! Let's knock him out.

Hey, there is girl I've practically raised as a sister/daughter! Let's sacrifice her to research that has consistantly failed horribley!

Hey, there's the guy who just gunned down god knows how many of our men! How about I not take this clean shot at his face!

Also, AI in the last area was an an all time bad. I have no Idea what the hell happened, but I Molotov'ed a guy, no one reacted. I strangled a guy in front of like, two other dudes, got spotted, stepped behind cover and they immidiately lost me. In fact I was immidiately lost like, three times.

Really, once you get past the Winter section, AI seems to trout itself. I wasn't even trying to abuse it either, just kind of happened.

I was going to give the game a 9/10, but between later game AI issues, and some issues I brought up in the end game spoilers, it gets an 8.

Still, definately worth the full price, and dear god is Winter awesome. I can see why people would overlook the flaws and rate the game higher then me mind you, cause what this game does well, it does really damn well. And the biggest issue, the AI bugging out, doesn't really seem to happen all that often until the end, at least for me.
    (SPOILER)Yeah, a lot of the ending actions were a bit lame, and I stealthed my way through the ending with absolute ease, even jumping into the people at the last barricade who just ran away, letting me get to the door and shut them out. They were far from as brutal as the previous enemies.

I still think the ending was a bit empty though.. It kinda stopped the story short. What's the betting the DLC will add more to it/add in a sequence in between towns that you don't see yet.

Winter was by far the best section. Ellie is a smurfing badass
    (SPOILER)I can see, but I really liked how this game did not end all that happy. I liked seeing Joel finally speaking about his Daughter, I loved the overall feeling of dissatisfaction from Ellie And Joel with how everything turned out, and I loved the desperate struggle from the Fire Flies failed research.

It was too brief I agree, but I felt handled well enough. I think the ending is just kind of the victim of not living up to expectations, especially not after Winter. I don't know if the game really had a chance at following that up.

So far, the two people who have made it through Winter seem to think that was the highlight of the game, so the rest of you? Look forward to it.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

(SPOILER)I can see, but I really liked how this game did not end all that happy. I liked seeing Joel finally speaking about his Daughter, I loved the overall feeling of dissatisfaction from Ellie And Joel with how everything turned out, and I loved the desperate struggle from the Fire Flies failed research.

It was too brief I agree, but I felt handled well enough. I think the ending is just kind of the victim of not living up to expectations, especially not after Winter. I don't know if the game really had a chance at following that up.

So far, the two people who have made it through Winter seem to think that was the highlight of the game, so the rest of you? Look forward to it.
    (SPOILER)I love unhappy endings but I was all prepared for Joel or Ellie to end up dying, or some massive smurfup to occur, so it all seemed a bit 'meh'. But yeah, it was always going to a damn feat to overcome that brilliant bit! I dunno what else to say about the ending though, I just felt really dejected after it xD

Also, when Winter comes around see if you can guess who the guest star voice actor is!
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

(SPOILER)I love unhappy endings but I was all prepared for Joel or Ellie to end up dying, or some massive smurfup to occur, so it all seemed a bit 'meh'. But yeah, it was always going to a damn feat to overcome that brilliant bit! I dunno what else to say about the ending though, I just felt really dejected after it xD

Also, when Winter comes around see if you can guess who the guest star voice actor is!
    (SPOILER)It may be because the really underplayed it compared to how the rest of the game was handled. Where emotions were pretty big and intense the whole game, we get this last seem where it's just played so simple and calm.

After they escaped that is.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

(SPOILER)It may be because the really underplayed it compared to how the rest of the game was handled. Where emotions were pretty big and intense the whole game, we get this last seem where it's just played so simple and calm.

(SPOILER)But I want high drama with mah games!

Don't ask my why I spoiler tagged that
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

(SPOILER)But I want high drama with mah games!

Don't ask my why I spoiler tagged that
    (SPOILER)Fair enough.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just finished it last night myself. Winter was awesome, and I actually quite liked the ending.

What got me was the Fireflys had been doing this for a while, and made no progress, yet kept at it. (Mind you, it could have been a lie from Joel, but at the same time it makes more sense that he was telling the truth. I mean they discovered the mutation and plan pretty god damn fast, and decided to operate that soon? They had to have done this before.)

What kind of kills the ending a bit though was that no one took any kind of believable action. Hey, there's a guy trying to resusitate a girl! Let's knock him out.

Hey, there is girl I've practically raised as a sister/daughter! Let's sacrifice her to research that has consistantly failed horribley!

Hey, there's the guy who just gunned down god knows how many of our men! How about I not take this clean shot at his face!
    I actually somewhat disagree with you here, but here's my reasons why if you're interested:

(SPOILER)- I really don't get the sense that the fireflies had done this before. I believe one of them makes not in one of the tape recorder messages in the hospital that they never saw anything like that mutation before. Now maybe they'd seem different levels of resistance before, but I doubt that even if this mutation was fairly common that people with it would survive long between infected attacking in groups, humans killing people who are bitten on sight, and just the general nastiness that can happen if a bite gets infected. Might be wrong, but that was the sense I got. We don't really know how long they had Ellie there doing tests either, but it's possible they'd been preparing for months before they all got there for what tests they'd need to run, ran them fast enough to determine they couldn't get the parasites out without killing her, then jumped to surgery. It is kind of fast though and probably just an excuse to have Joel need to kill their way out of there and save her.

- Knocking him out I get. You don't know who he is or what they want, knock him out, resuscitate the girl yourself and figure out what's up later. It'd be more prudent to kill them on sight to be honest, but they probably settled for knocking him out just in case since he didn't attack them right away and the girl needed help.

- You can actually find her journal in the hospital and she mentions showing up at the hospital without Ellie and thinking that she's probably dead. She ends up feeling ostracized because she lost the only hope they had for a vaccine and talks about not being able to take it there after a few weeks and possibly leaving because she can't stand how the other fireflies look at her any more. I'd imagine that that played a big role in her decision once Ellie turns up, not to mention her being the best hope of finding a cure. I'm not saying she made the right decision or even a good one, but where she's coming from is a bit more understandable in light of that. She's torn between her promise to Ellie's mother, her hope for a cure, and her original feelings of failure. Once Ellie shows up again it's like she was given a second chance to do what she originally set out to do. I think it's somewhat interesting to wonder if her decision would have been different had Ellie and Joel made it there at the same time or before her.

- Are we talking about after he picks up Ellie and runs for it? I thought it was weird at first but they may have needed her alive, or at least couldn't risk shooting her in the head or anything if they were going to be successful and get uncontaminated samples. They do open fire though when he's trying to get in the elevator and could potentially escape. In fact, I accidentally took a wrong turn the first time I attempted that sequence and one guard grabbed me while another grabbed Ellie and took her away before a third put a gun to Joel's head, so they really might have wanted her alive until the surgery.

Anyway, I'm not saying your interpretation of a lot of this stuff is wrong or anything, this is just what I took from it based on some information in the hospital and the behaviour of the NPC's.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Just finished it last night myself. Winter was awesome, and I actually quite liked the ending.

I actually somewhat disagree with you here, but here's my reasons why if you're interested:

(SPOILER)- I really don't get the sense that the fireflies had done this before. I believe one of them makes not in one of the tape recorder messages in the hospital that they never saw anything like that mutation before. Now maybe they'd seem different levels of resistance before, but I doubt that even if this mutation was fairly common that people with it would survive long between infected attacking in groups, humans killing people who are bitten on sight, and just the general nastiness that can happen if a bite gets infected. Might be wrong, but that was the sense I got. We don't really know how long they had Ellie there doing tests either, but it's possible they'd been preparing for months before they all got there for what tests they'd need to run, ran them fast enough to determine they couldn't get the parasites out without killing her, then jumped to surgery. It is kind of fast though and probably just an excuse to have Joel need to kill their way out of there and save her.

- Knocking him out I get. You don't know who he is or what they want, knock him out, resuscitate the girl yourself and figure out what's up later. It'd be more prudent to kill them on sight to be honest, but they probably settled for knocking him out just in case since he didn't attack them right away and the girl needed help.

- You can actually find her journal in the hospital and she mentions showing up at the hospital without Ellie and thinking that she's probably dead. She ends up feeling ostracized because she lost the only hope they had for a vaccine and talks about not being able to take it there after a few weeks and possibly leaving because she can't stand how the other fireflies look at her any more. I'd imagine that that played a big role in her decision once Ellie turns up, not to mention her being the best hope of finding a cure. I'm not saying she made the right decision or even a good one, but where she's coming from is a bit more understandable in light of that. She's torn between her promise to Ellie's mother, her hope for a cure, and her original feelings of failure. Once Ellie shows up again it's like she was given a second chance to do what she originally set out to do. I think it's somewhat interesting to wonder if her decision would have been different had Ellie and Joel made it there at the same time or before her.

- Are we talking about after he picks up Ellie and runs for it? I thought it was weird at first but they may have needed her alive, or at least couldn't risk shooting her in the head or anything if they were going to be successful and get uncontaminated samples. They do open fire though when he's trying to get in the elevator and could potentially escape. In fact, I accidentally took a wrong turn the first time I attempted that sequence and one guard grabbed me while another grabbed Ellie and took her away before a third put a gun to Joel's head, so they really might have wanted her alive until the surgery.

Anyway, I'm not saying your interpretation of a lot of this stuff is wrong or anything, this is just what I took from it based on some information in the hospital and the behaviour of the NPC's.
    (SPOILER)As for the level of resistance having not been seen before, the doctor recording that had never seen Ellie prior to this. Remember, she had never left that city until you took her out. They had all but one day to look at Ellie. It's not like Joel was out of it for a long period of time either, he was just knocked out. No way this had been more then a day. If Ellie was the first, all of their scans, planning, and decision came in less then a day. ANd this had to have been before they started prepping for surgery. If they didn't have experience in doing this stuff before, that makes them pretty smurfing stupid.

And knocking him out was still smurfing stupid. They could clearly see what he was doing. There wasn't really room there too mistake what he was doing. They had to realize he wasn't a threat, at all. It was clear he wasn't a soldier because he had a little girl with him, and the game seem pretty clear that bandits don't often have kids either. There was not a single reason to think he was a threat or in need of knocking out. Really this just makes the fireflies look like dicks.

The reasoning on that Journal makes enough sense, the problem is the actions of the Firefly's suggest that they already knew enough about Elly to have come up with a course of action this quickly. It's not like they were in immediate danger, and it's not like Ellie is going to turn any time soon. They were being WAY to reckless here for people who have been working on this trout for years, even if we do assume Ellie was the only one. It comes across that the only reason Joel was knocked out to begin with was a bit of plot convenience to set up his saving Ellie.

And I reffer to him getting off the Elevator and that one woman, I forget her name, was standing there. She was really close to the guy, and had ample time to put a bullet in his head. At that close a range, she is a good enough shot to have done this with no risk. She has to know you killed a lot of guys to make it this far, so again it just feels too convenient that she didn't shoot on site.

Again, they had to have examined her, discovered the bizarre mutation, discussed a course of action, and decided to preform a surgery that would kill her to remove and reverse engineer it all in the course of under 24 hours. This is beyond reckless unless they have seen and tried this before, in which case it's consistently failed and they are going ahead anyway. Basically the actions they took and the snip its you hear int he audio log are entirely inconstant with each other, and really makes for the games weakest moment of writing because of it.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

interesting thread :l i cant read anyhting

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)And knocking him out was still smurfing stupid. They could clearly see what he was doing. There wasn't really room there too mistake what he was doing. They had to realize he wasn't a threat, at all. It was clear he wasn't a soldier because he had a little girl with him, and the game seem pretty clear that bandits don't often have kids either. There was not a single reason to think he was a threat or in need of knocking out. Really this just makes the fireflies look like dicks.
    (SPOILER)Actually, the more I think about it, the more I have to disagree with you on this one. They came across a guy seemingly giving CPR to a girl, but if there's one thing we can say with certainty in this world it's that things are rarely as simple as that. They could easily have been faking it to get the jump on those guys. I mean, this is a pretty horrible world they're living in and you really can't be too careful as evidenced by the number of times Joel has to kill his way through an army of guys before they can kill him.

Frankly, if you don't know the people and you don't know if it's a trap, then if anything knocking him out is the stupid thing to do because just outright shooting him is safer. But at least if you go for the knockout you can lock him up and only have to worry about the girl if they are trying to trick you. Much safer and it let's you sort things out later on your terms instead of theirs. If they had simply run up and tried to help him it would have been completely unbelievable to me. The game basically spent the entirety of the experience convincing you that trusting a new face right away is a good way to get yourself killed. Suddenly abandoning that at the end, especially when you're talking about soldiers for a well armed resistance group, just wouldn't ring true for me. But then, I'm a cold hearted bastard and if I were in their situation I'd be highly prone to killing first and asking questions never.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    (SPOILER)And knocking him out was still smurfing stupid. They could clearly see what he was doing. There wasn't really room there too mistake what he was doing. They had to realize he wasn't a threat, at all. It was clear he wasn't a soldier because he had a little girl with him, and the game seem pretty clear that bandits don't often have kids either. There was not a single reason to think he was a threat or in need of knocking out. Really this just makes the fireflies look like dicks.
    (SPOILER)Actually, the more I think about it, the more I have to disagree with you on this one. They came across a guy seemingly giving CPR to a girl, but if there's one thing we can say with certainty in this world it's that things are rarely as simple as that. They could easily have been faking it to get the jump on those guys. I mean, this is a pretty horrible world they're living in and you really can't be too careful as evidenced by the number of times Joel has to kill his way through an army of guys before they can kill him.

Frankly, if you don't know the people and you don't know if it's a trap, then if anything knocking him out is the stupid thing to do because just outright shooting him is safer. But at least if you go for the knockout you can lock him up and only have to worry about the girl if they are trying to trick you. Much safer and it let's you sort things out later on your terms instead of theirs. If they had simply run up and tried to help him it would have been completely unbelievable to me. The game basically spent the entirety of the experience convincing you that trusting a new face right away is a good way to get yourself killed. Suddenly abandoning that at the end, especially when you're talking about soldiers for a well armed resistance group, just wouldn't ring true for me. But then, I'm a cold hearted bastard and if I were in their situation I'd be highly prone to killing first and asking questions never.
    (SPOILER)They could have just kept their guns trained on him while he tried bringing her back, and shot if he tried to pull anything. Both Paranoid behavior, and shows that the Fireflys, who have been built up as these good people fighting against tryanical government rule, have a semblance of compassion.

And let's say it's a trap, and they are ready for you. WHy on earth would you strut up to them to knock them out? Sounds like you are aching to be stabbed to me. Keeping the gun trained on them is still the safer option.

FFXIV Character

Viadana Solacaire (Sargatanas)

Just finished it. Didn't expect the ending, but loved it.

It was... a gut-punch to my soul.

I tend to agree with Keanu on the decisions made by the Fireflies and just how quickly they were able to jump to the conclusion of sacrificing Ellie. Unless Joel was out for weeks, it's highly unlikely they were able to try every alternative to creating a vaccine.

My biggest problem comes from the fact that an outbreak has occurred 20 years prior, leaving less than 40% of the world's population scattered across the globe, and a small, tattered revolutionary group thinks they have the resources, abilities, and coordination to create and distribute a vaccine by killing a young girl. The vaccine isn't guaranteed to work. Marlene even stated that she and her men barely made it to Salt Lake City.

The ending does create some fascinating viewpoints due to it's morally ambiguous nature. Joel is clearly not a hero though, in any way.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

It's pretty awesome so far. I'm still pretty early into it, but it's a lot of fun. It's almost hard to believe that Joel and Snow are voiced by the same person.

The game is so beautiful, but you can see the restrictions from the hardware it's running on quite clearly. I'm almost sad they didn't hold back to release it on PS4. Only almost though.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    It's pretty awesome so far. I'm still pretty early into it, but it's a lot of fun. It's almost hard to believe that Joel and Snow are voiced by the same person.

The game is so beautiful, but you can see the restrictions from the hardware it's running on quite clearly. I'm almost sad they didn't hold back to release it on PS4. Only almost though.
    wouw that guy has quit a resume :o
    he did alot of voices!!

Blog Entries

im alot further now and im in love with this game!!
    i just love how realistic the characters are, ellie flipping the finger and swearing like any other teenager :P

but my aim here really sucks, part becaus they move so fast, so i can say i will panic when i run out of shotgun ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    To be honest, this looks like just another zombie game to me but with a deep story. As a person who doesn't play games for story, I'll wait and see if the gameplay turns out good.
    If what you say is true, I'll buy the system and play this game. I otherwise despise all zombie-related games. They are pointless beyond all reason.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.