Thread: The Last of Us

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER) Does someone want to sum up the story for me because I'm not actually going to buy the game but I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    (SPOILER) Does someone want to sum up the story for me because I'm not actually going to buy the game but I am curious.
    (SPOILER)Dude's daughter gets shot by soldiers when the outbreak happens.

Government goes tyranical containing outbreak.

ANti-government group wants this ellie girl since she seems immune to the infection.

Dude transporting her starts thinking of her as daughter.

Ellie murders the living smurf out of a rapist/cannibal/peadophile.

They reach Fireflys, who are going to try to reverse engineer a vaccine, but extracting from Ellie will kill her.

Joel murders a punch of people to keep her allive.

He may or may not have lied ot her about the Fireflys having done this several times before and showing no signs of advancing.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Wait, I'm confused.
    (SPOILER)People are debating whether Joel was telling the truth? I thought it was pretty obvious that he was lying. Ellie was the only chance for the Fireflies to find a vaccine, and Joel went all nuts because he finally saw Ellie as his daughter. He did the absolute wrong thing for selfish reasons, and then lied to Ellie. I can UNDERSTAND those selfish reasons, and feel sympathy for him, but he definitely did the wrong thing.

The epilogue is where I am a little more uncertain. We got another glimpse of Ellie's wound, and it seemed worse than it had been, suggesting that she wasn't completely immune, but could hold out longer than anyone else, and that was enough for a vaccine to be developed. That is why she asked Joel whether he was telling the truth. She wanted to know that the Firefly's are able to find a vaccine. Knowing this, she was ok with what she thinks happened. At least, that is my take on it.
    (SPOILER)No one is debating Joel's intentions, no matter what he was in the wrong, having not know regardless.

The problem is the actions of the Fireflys made no sense if Ellie was the only one. Yet the logs you listen to make no sense if they had done this before.

Also, we here pretty much none of the conversation between Joel and whats her name at the end before he kills her and leaves with Ellie, so that leaves all sorts of questions as to what they were talking about. That easily could have been when brought that up, so it's hard to say one way or the other what the truth actually is.
    (SPOILER)What do you mean it makes no sense if she was the only one? They tried everything to try and keep Joel away from her, doesn't that mean she WAS the only one? I also don't understand what you mean about the logs. The logs just explained how Ellie was immune...

The conversation with Marlene... We heard it all. She tried to take Ellie and Joel shot her, then Marlene begged for her life. I didn't see any indication that any part of that conversation was left out...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)The problem is the actions of the Fireflys made no sense if Ellie was the only one. Yet the logs you listen to make no sense if they had done this before.
    (SPOILER)Honestly, I still can't buy the idea that they'd ever done this before. There's absolutely no evidence in the game itself to indicate that was the case. The only thing anyone seems to be basing this on is that they don't think the Fireflies moving so quickly to extract the spores makes sense if Ellie is the first immune person they've found. But things moving quickly are more easily explained by the writers rushing events along to get to the ending they wanted, more than things which no one in the game mentions ever happening having taken place.

I really don't see any room for interpretation here, especially when in game story material completely contradicts the idea of Ellie not being the only subject they ever had. Joel was lying when he said there were others. I think it really is that simple.

(SPOILER)If she was the only one, they were smurfing idiots to have examined her and prepped her for surgery in under a day. That's why it makes no sense.

When Joel is talking to Ellie about what happened, and you see the clips playing of what he actually did, you don't hear anything, but still mouths are moving, so it seemed that they were talking, however we were only hearing Joel's conversation with Ellie.

Mind you, even were that not the case, it still makes the Firefly's out to be complete morons. Thus their actions don't make sense. That isn't something you do unless you've done it before. They didn't seem like a group that would be so stupid to rush like that, especially if Ellie really was the only choice they had. For something like this you would HAVE to have a lot of prep time, and some kind of discussion over what to do, what could go wrong, all sorts of things. THis would take way more then a day.

Edit: @VIV

(SPOILER)Even if it were just the case of the writing being rushed, it's a pretty damn big problem. It does seem most likely Joel was just lying, but it's bizarre that if he were telling the truth that those rushed actions make a hell of a lot more sense.

And that bothers the living smurf out of me.

Edit: Odd....

(SPOILER)I rewatched the end on youtube... ANd I think my copy smurfed up. The clip with Joel and Marlene dragged on a fair bit longer on my system then the ending showed. O_O (Specifically where you hear him talking with Ellie in the car)

Point still stands for the most part though, him telling the truth makes the Firefly's actions make a lot more sense then they did if we assume he was just lying.
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 06-24-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh spoiler pyramids.

ANti-government group wants this ellie girl since she seems immune to the infection.

They reach Fireflys, who are going to try to reverse engineer a vaccine, but extracting from Ellie will kill her.

He may or may not have lied ot her about the Fireflys having done this several times before and showing no signs of advancing.
    (SPOILER) So do I understand correctly that there is an infection that is affecting many people (I imagine in a very bad way) and this girl could save them all but she would have to die and so dude because of his own personal issues keeps her alive at the expense of everyone else.

I want to say thats stupid and selfish but really I don't know what I would do if I was put in that situation.

Oh spoiler pyramids.

(SPOILER) So do I understand correctly that there is an infection that is affecting many people (I imagine in a very bad way) and this girl could save them all but she would have to die and so dude because of his own personal issues keeps her alive at the expense of everyone else.

I want to say thats stupid and selfish but really I don't know what I would do if I was put in that situation.
    (SPOILER)Yeah, it was stupid and selfish, but it works well within the story they are telling.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

(SPOILER)If she was the only one, they were smurfing idiots to have examined her and prepped her for surgery in under a day. That's why it makes no sense.

When Joel is talking to Ellie about what happened, and you see the clips playing of what he actually did, you don't hear anything, but still mouths are moving, so it seemed that they were talking, however we were only hearing Joel's conversation with Ellie.

Mind you, even were that not the case, it still makes the Firefly's out to be complete morons. Thus their actions don't make sense. That isn't something you do unless you've done it before. They didn't seem like a group that would be so stupid to rush like that, especially if Ellie really was the only choice they had. For something like this you would HAVE to have a lot of prep time, and some kind of discussion over what to do, what could go wrong, all sorts of things. THis would take way more then a day.

(SPOILER)Even if it were just the case of the writing being rushed, it's a pretty damn big problem. It does seem most likely Joel was just lying, but it's bizarre that if he were telling the truth that those rushed actions make a hell of a lot more sense.

(SPOILER)I rewatched the end on youtube... ANd I think my copy smurfed up. The clip with Joel and Marlene dragged on a fair bit longer on my system then the ending showed. O_O

Point still stands for the most part though, him telling the truth makes the Firefly's actions make a lot more sense then they did if we assume he was just lying.
    (SPOILER)As Vivi22 said, the only reason the "rushed" is to move the story along. So if she wasn't the only one, rushing it still wouldn't make any sense. It was just to move the narrative along. That's the way I saw it anyway..
    I didn't notice Joel's and Marlene's lips moving, I'll have to watch that again. I'm open to other interpretations, but at the moment I just can't see it.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)I'm not saying it's a perfect piece of writing at the end, but I'm not going to chalk up some stupid writing to events which are never discussed in the actual game and probably don't exist. And the thing is, if you assume Joel wasn't lying, there are tons of people who are immune and they don't need Ellie, then the Fireflies fighting so hard to keep her and Joel needing to shoot whats her face (Marlene?) at the end makes even less sense. You don't fight that hard for a kid that isn't the worlds only hope. And there are simply too many reasons to believe that people who are immune would never get the chance to even discover it for me to believe that it's a common phenomena.

We're not talking about something that's some big massive plot hole and the story doesn't make sense without it though. It's one part that's seems unrealistic at face value. But that doesn't mean we have to make up events which are never referenced in the game to explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post

(SPOILER)I rewatched the end on youtube... ANd I think my copy smurfed up. The clip with Joel and Marlene dragged on a fair bit longer on my system then the ending showed. O_O

(SPOILER)As Vivi22 said, the only reason the "rushed" is to move the story along. So if she wasn't the only one, rushing it still wouldn't make any sense. It was just to move the narrative along. That's the way I saw it anyway..
    I didn't notice Joel's and Marlene's lips moving, I'll have to watch that again. I'm open to other interpretations, but at the moment I just can't see it.
    (SPOILER)Even if it was to move the story along, it doens't change that it gives one a different view of them entirely. And it would make sense, because they would already know what to do. They wouldn't need to sit down and discuss it, they could just move forward with the operation on the spot. No need to wait, so why do so? The prep for surgery is all they woudl need.

@Vivi

(SPOILER)If you read the damned odd bit, you'd notice something else I said.

Regardless, it's not just unrealistic at face value, it's unrealistic at any real analysis, and as I originally said it's not really very reasonable regardless of which way you look at the ending. It still stands as a pretty sub-par ending, especially when compared with the rest of the games writing.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OMG OMG OMG im gonna die!!
    when a cutscene started the tv went black.. so i restarted ps3 becaus it was stuck.. now im loading the game but it wont go any further than 9.41%....

D:

Blog Entries

ooh god.. now the game itself doesnt seem to load :S im seriously going to cry!!
    it is stuck @ 28,7%
    i have deleted some stuff on the ps3 (not from this game though) becaus i thought it might have something to do with the lack of space, ps3 has been telling me for a viuew days that there is less then 500mb

im desperate

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

(SPOILER) What? Did you expect something relevant to the game? I haven't played it yet, stop clicking my spoilers.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

ive got it under control :l just needed to delete The Last Of Us stuff and 're-install' it