Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official SSB4 Newcomer Bets Thread

Default Official SSB4 Newcomer Bets Thread

Welcome to the Official SSB4 Newcomer Bet Thread!! In this thread we list characters that we think are likely to be in Super Smash Bros. 4, stick them on our betting lists, and see just how accurate our newcomer lists are and see who's the most accurate in the end!!

The official rules are as follows:

- we guess newcomers only and we don't guess character cuts
    - Melee veterans that were cut from Brawl do not count as newcomers and will not be accounted for, except for Mewtwo's new form as either a standalone character or a Sheik/Zero Suit Samus type transformation
    - Everyone starts at 100 Points
    - A -5 Penalty for each new character revealed for late joiners of the game will be implemented
    - The only placeholder guess that is allowed currently is a 6th Generation Pokemon, with other placeholder slots being allowed as more games from existing Smash Bros. series are announced/new series that are likely to have playable characters in Smash Bros are announced. Swapping/adding placeholder guesses that this rule applies to does not count towards the swapping/adding guess limit
    - Every correctly guessed newcomer is +10 points.
    - Every newcomer that is guessed but isn't in the final roster is -10 points
    - Exceptions to the above 2 rules include:
    ---- Third party characters, who are +20 if correctly guessed and -20 if incorrectly guessed
    ---- Specific characters that were swapped from a placeholder guess (Eg: changing 6th Gen Pokemon slot to Mewtwo's new form) or characters with a very recent debut in a game (new characters from games that are announced from 2013 and onward), who are +20 if guessed correctly and -10 if incorrectly guessed
    ---- Placeholder guesses (Eg: 6th Gen Pokemon, new forms that debut in Gen 6 for Gen 1-5 Pokemon count), which are +2 if correctly guessed and -10 if incorrectly guessed
    ---- Pokemon Trainer type newcomers (people that are able to swap between three Pokemon), who are +5 for the right elemental order (eg: correctly guessing fire as base form starter, grass as intermediate form starter, and water as final form starter), +10 for the right Pokemon Generation, and +2 for correctly guessing there's another Pokemon trainer newcomer and neither of the above two are right. -10 if there aren't any Pokemon Trainer type newcomers whatsoever.
    - Every newcomer that does show up that you didn't guess is -5
    - Swapping/adding/removing guesses is unlimited before the first SSB4 newcomer reveal (which is likely on June 11). After that, only two guess swaps/additions/removals (meaning you can only do those three things twice) are allowed, unless a new game from a Nintendo franchise gets announced (see rule 5), in that case you're allowed one free guess addition/swap for that game franchise
    - Guesses will be closed 1 month before SSB4 gets released in the country it first gets released in. However, if there are any leaks of a full roster after the demo stations are available and they start showing up on many prominent sites, bets will be closed then.

So the general idea for this betting game is to be as accurate as possible, since guessed newcomers that don't make it in as well as newcomers that make it in that you didn't guess will be counted against you. Remember, you're free to change your bets as much as you want before the first SSB4 newcomers are revealed.

Rules may be subject to change in the future, but we'll try to implement changes in a fair way so they won't put anyone at an unfair advantage/disadvantage.

Anyways my bets are as follows:

Takamaru
    Shulk Little Mac
    Chrom
    (6th Gen Pokemon)
    Mega Man
    Shulk
    Palutena
    Last edited by Evastio; 06-09-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Can we overlap? I do think Chrom's going to be in it.

Knuckles
    Vyse (from Skies of Arcadia, given the new Nintendo/Sega partnership and that being a beloved GC RPG)

Torneko Taloon (I'm thinking we're getting some DQ love and that's my best guess!)
    Cecil Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Can we overlap? I do think Chrom's going to be in it.
    Eh... I don't think you're getting the thread. This is a betting game where you're supposed to post all the newcomers you personally think are highly likely to be in SSB4, it's not a combined list. So if someone posted a newcomer you also think is highly likely, you add them to your list as well.

The rules can be simplified as follows :

•Start with 100 points
    •Guess who you think will be new characters. Do not guess characters who you think will leave
    •Guess a character correctly = +10 points (+20 for 3rd Parties, +2 for 6th Pokemon Gen Placeholder spot, see opening post for rules on Pokemon Trainer type newcomers)
    •Guess a character wrong = -10 points (-20 for 3rd Parties)
    •Don't guess a character and the character is in = -5 points
    •If you join after some new character reveals have been made = -5 points for each new character
    •Person with most points "wins"

3rd Parties are higher risk, higher reward because they're harder to predict if they'll be in Super Smash Bros. compared to Nintendo owned characters. Sakurai, the director for all Smash Bros. games, even said he'd try to keep the number of 3rd Party characters down so the focus stays on Nintendo.

I should also mention that Sakurai also said SSB4 won't be as newcomer heavy as Melee or Brawl, just so you don't bet on too many characters and lose a lot of points for incorrect guesses.

So to see how points work, let's use this as an example:

Newcomer Guesses: Shulk, Mega Man, Palutena, Lloyd
    Actual Revealed SSB4 Newcomers: Shulk, Takamaru, Mega Man, Pac-Man

So everyone starts off at 100. This person would get +10 for correctly guessing Shulk and +20 for correctly guessing Megaman . He'd also lose -10 each for incorrectly guessing Palutena and -20 for correctly guessing Lloyd. And since Takamaru and Pac-Man are in the final roster, and this person didn't guess that Takamaru and Pac-Man would be in, he'd lose -5 for each.

100 (Initial)
    +10 (Shulk)
    +20 (Mega Man)
    -10 (Palutena)
    -20 (Lloyd)
    -5 (Takamaru)
    -5 (Pac-Man)
    ----------------------
    90 (Final Score)

So basically, you'll only want to bet on characters you think are highly likely to be in SSB4.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

King Deedee
    Haunted Mansion Luigi (different from the normal Luigi)

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

-Chrom
    -Takamaru
    -Mega Man
    -Little Mac
    -Samurai Goroh

I think the last 2 will especially be in. People were so pissed off that they were assist trophies in Brawl.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

-Issac (golden sun)
    -Chrom
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Paper Mario
    Palutena
    Little Mac
    Animal Crossing Character
    (6th Gen Pokemon)
    Pac-Man
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 06-11-2014 at 12:26 AM.

This seems fun.
    heres mine

-Goku (Dragonball z)
    -Ghirahim(Of skyward sword)
    -Baby mario with yoshi
    -Shulk

whoop bring on tommorrow!
    Last edited by Setsu; 06-10-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

Might as well get in on this now.

-Chrom
    -Isaac
    -Animal Crossing Character
    -Mega Man
    -Little Mac
    -Samurai Goroh
    -Shulk
    -Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven)
    Last edited by Elite Lord Sigma; 07-14-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Lyn
    Kalas
    Shulk
    Krystal
    Black Knight (But I'd like to have Petrine >.>)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Wii Fit Trainer

Da smurf?@??&?

Last edited by Depression Moon; 06-11-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Yeah, Wii Fit Trainer threw the whole Smash community off. Villager did to a much lesser extent.

Here's the scores now. The -5 per newcomer late penalty will officially begin now.

Evastio: 110
    Bolivar: 85
    Del Murder: 85
    Polnareff: 110
    TrollHunter: 85
    Deptression Moon: 100
    Setsu: 85
    Elite Lord Sigma: 125
    Flaming Ice: 85

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Wii Fit Trainer

Da smurf?@??&?

Probably to draw in people 40 + who play that game

I can't be the only one who wants this, but with Megaman coming to Smash Bro's, I so hope there is a big reveal of Sigma as the Villain this time.

but ssb's mega man is classic mega man who is not x and thus never fought sigma

wily was the better villain anyway